• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Since I do currently fix cars as a certified master tech I thought I should chime in...so although r 134a is not Ozone depleting it does contribute to the green house effect big time. Please don't just keep pumping freon into it, even with leak stop.
    Like some others have stated, leak stop ime has never actually stopped any leak I have seen on an automotive system. Although it's well known for damaging recovery machines at shops. Anyhow, add some dye at next charge and use a UV light and halogen leak detector to isolate it. If it's not obvious and external it very well could be your evaporator core which is the in dash component.
    During a professional diagnostic process you should certainly also observe gauge pressures as a compressor will also short cycle from high pressure not just low. On a typical Texas summer day you can expect the low side to run 32-44 psi and 220-260 psi on the high side on a properly charged system. Maybe a little higher on a dual unit or mechanical fan system but not much.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    On a typical Texas summer day you can expect the low side to run 32-44 psi and 220-260 psi on the high side on a properly charged system.
    This is good info. I do have one of those cheapy gauges attached to a filler hose. I won't keep pumping R134 into the system, but now I am thinking about giving it one more shot with some A/C pro super sealer. The more modern leak sealers are oil based and shouldn't clog up the system or mess up the mechanics equipment. At least that's what I've been reading.

I'm heading to Advance Auto this morning to pick up a new battery for the Sonoma to replace the 7 year old one in it now. Preparing myself for sticker shock. I think I paid $125 7 years ago. I'll pick up some leak sealer and a can of R134a while I'm there.

I don't know why I keep the dang thing anyway. Sentimental reasons I guess. And it keeps me busy. Bought it new 26 years ago this month. Everything on it has been replaced at one time or another. 3 alternators, 2 water pumps, 2 radiators, ABS modulator, AC compressor, head gasket, starter, motor mounts, transmission, throttle position sensor, a leaky fuel injector, and probably stuff I can't think of off the top of my head. And it only has about 175k miles on it.

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    This is good info. I do have one of those cheapy gauges attached to a filler hose. I won't keep pumping R134 into the system, but now I am thinking about giving it one more shot with some A/C pro super sealer. The more modern leak sealers are oil based and shouldn't clog up the system or mess up the mechanics equipment. At least that's what I've been reading.

I'm heading to Advance Auto this morning to pick up a new battery for the Sonoma to replace the 7 year old one in it now. Preparing myself for sticker shock. I think I paid $125 7 years ago. I'll pick up some leak sealer and a can of R134a while I'm there.

I don't know why I keep the dang thing anyway. Sentimental reasons I guess. And it keeps me busy. Bought it new 26 years ago this month. Everything on it has been replaced at one time or another. 3 alternators, 2 water pumps, 2 radiators, ABS modulator, AC compressor, head gasket, starter, motor mounts, transmission, throttle position sensor, a leaky fuel injector, and probably stuff I can't think of off the top of my head. And it only has about 175k miles on it.

Advanced Auto and other places should have proper gauges you can borrow to check your system. Some will even check it for you. Ask when you get there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Advanced Auto and other places should have proper gauges you can borrow to check your system. Some will even check it for you. Ask when you get there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Good idea. But then I'd have to charge the system in their parking lot, right? Don't think I want to do that. I'm just hoping they will install the battery for me so I don't have to make another trip to return the core.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My AC guy said a lot of the leaks are from the 2 ports, the schrader valve leaking. You can get a cap that will seal the port and see what happens.

The newer type valve (ball type) is much more prone to leaking than the older schrader valves. Easily replaced. Does require discharging the system, replacing, pulling vacuum, recharging.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Good idea. But then I'd have to charge the system in their parking lot, right? Don't think I want to do that. I'm just hoping they will install the battery for me so I don't have to make another trip to return the core.

If you have to take the battery home, be sure to check posts on the battery they give you.
    I've had them give me a battery with post sides switched, and also smaller posts.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If you have to take the battery home, be sure to check posts on the battery they give you.
    I've had them give me a battery with post sides switched, and also smaller posts.
    They replaced the battery for me. Saves me a trip back. I swear tho, I could have done it quicker, heh. Gold series battery was $160. So that's done. I went ahead and bought and installed the AC stop leak and some R134a. Must not have been as low as the first time because it only took about 5 seconds for the compressor to kick in and stay on. The stop leak has a red dye in it. I saw some red dye and tiny bubble at the low pressure schrader valve after I installed the R134. Ran it a few minutes and checked again, no dye, no bubbles. We'll see how long it lasts. It was putting out some pretty cold air.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Cliff did mention the service ports leaking. Those caps are suppose to have sealing rubbers inside them. If the caps are missing, or the sealing rubbers are gone, buy some new caps at the auto parts store. The all will leak just a tiny bit if the caps are missing.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Cliff did mention the service ports leaking. Those caps are suppose to have sealing rubbers inside them. If the caps are missing, or the sealing rubbers are gone, buy some new caps at the auto parts store. The all will leak just a tiny bit if the caps are missing.
    The cap does have a crack in it on the side. I'll replace it.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The cap will only do so much. The schrader valve needs to be replaced.

Yeah it does need to be replaced. But then I would have to take it to a shop and have it professionally evacuated and recharged. Probably several hundered dollars. I'm just being a cheapskate. Had the entire system replaced 7 years ago and that was around $1500. I don't want to put any more money into this old truck than I have to.

I'm thinking about buying a cheap vacuum pump and a set of gauges and doing it myself. I can always use it on my other vehicles.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Could just be loose. If you have a valve insert/remove tool might wanna give it a twist. If you don’t have one you can pick up an extremely cheap one at any auto parts store. Probably isn’t loose but, for the cost, eliminating that as a possibility isn’t a bad idea.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Reality is... pulling a vacuum on the a/c has one purpose: extract moisture from the system. It accomplishes that by causing the water/moisture to boil allowing it to be vented to the atmosphere via the vacuum pump. It can also be used to determine if a system is leaking but that’s not the primary purpose.

Reality is... if you are going to simply replace a schrader valve the chances of introducing a significant amount of moisture into the system are pretty minimal. Consequently no “real” need to pull a vacuum on the system. Is it the best way? Nope. But your risk factor is actually quite small if you dont do it.

If you don’t know squat about low side/high side pressure ratios a set of gauges, no matter the cost, is a waste of money. You can get freon with a pressure gauge on it - they are available. Get on line and find out what range your high side pressure should be. The using the gauge on the refill can of freon... bring it to that pressure. That “should” get your system cooling again without introducing additional problems.

while on line find out how much freon your system requires, ~3#s iirc... from 30 or so years ago. Then put that much in. You’ll be starting from empty.

EDIT: I referenced high side pressure but I’m pretty sure it’s low side pressure for the freon can gauge. In any event... it comes with instructions.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Could just be loose. If you have a valve insert/remove tool might wanna give it a twist. If you don’t have one you can pick up an extremely cheap one at any auto parts store. Probably isn’t loose but, for the cost, eliminating that as a possibility isn’t a bad idea.
    I have a valve core tool. Checked the schrader valve yesterday, but it was tight.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Reality is... pulling a vacuum on the a/c has one purpose: extract moisture from the system. It accomplishes that by causing the water/moisture to boil allowing it to be vented to the atmosphere via the vacuum pump. It can also be used to determine if a system is leaking but that’s not the primary purpose.

Reality is... if you are going to simply replace a schrader valve the chances of introducing a significant amount of moisture into the system are pretty minimal. Consequently no “real” need to pull a vacuum on the system. Is it the best way? Nope. But your risk factor is actually quite small if you dont do it.

If you don’t know squat about low side/high side pressure ratios a set of gauges, no matter the cost, is a waste of money. You can get freon with a pressure gauge on it - they are available. Get on line and find out what range your high side pressure should be. The using the gauge on the refill can of freon... bring it to that pressure. That “should” get your system cooling again without introducing additional problems.

while on line find out how much freon your system requires, ~3#s iirc... from 30 or so years ago. Then put that much in. You’ll be starting from empty.
    My father always taught me, if you going to do it, do it right.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    My father always taught me, if you going to do it, do it right.
    No disagreement here but I believe I recall the op indicating that wasn’t going to happen. Just presenting options short of taking it to a certified repair facility - which would be the “right” way for the op to solve this problem.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've done some research over the past few days. I know what the high and low pressures are suppose to be. I also have a filler hose with a pressure gauge on it, but it only reads the low side pressure.

According to the owner's manual, the AC system requires 30 .oz of refrigerant. I only added about 12 oz to get the pressure up to about 40 lbs on the low side. It's putting out fairly cold air now. I just hope it holds.

I didn't realize I could bleed the system empty without introducing a lot of moisture into it. What about oil? Does that stay in the system, or do I need to add it back in?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom