• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My '95 Sonoma has developed a leak in the AC system. I recharged it a couple of weeks ago with some R 134a from Advance Auto. Now it's blowing warm air again and the compressor constantly cycles, just like the first time it lost refrigerant. Now I'm thinking about using some of that AC stop leak to see if that will fix it. So, my question is, does that stuff really work, or will it do more harm than good? Let me hear your experience with it.
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Don’t use stop leak. There is a small screen in the orifice tube (iirc) and it will stop up just as well as any leaks in the system.

You’ll just end up with more parts that need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Sometimes it is better to put some R134 in the system, which contains dye. Then check to see where your leak is originating from and fix it or determine if the stop leak will do the job. Sometimes the leak is from a simple o-ring which is easily replaced. Just a thought, hope it turns out to be a simple repair.

Just did this to my tahoe. No red dye leaking out anywhere yet.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    AC stop leak will not stop up parts in the AC system. It's a seal conditioner made to rejuvenate seals and O-rings so they seal better, stopping minor leaks.

If you just recharged your AC system and few weeks ago, you probably have a bigger leak that the Stop-Leak will be able to fix. I'd suggest a competent repair shop look it over to find the leak.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Waiting to hear. My AC is working but it's intermittent as far a "cold" air. My friend the mechanic says there is something in the system that's clogging it up. It works Intermittently now. Hopefully it will clear itself, but .......... probably not.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Couple of things... a/c will stop cycling once all/most Freon is gone. Also... if you’ve lost the original charge you have also lost a fair amount of the lubricating oil in the system. Two ways to solve that problem. You can purchase freon that includes an oil charge or you can purchase a small can of refrigeration oil and add oil w/o adding freon.

might want to consider removing power to the compressor until you figure where the Freon is going.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Couple of things... a/c will stop cycling once all/most Freon is gone. Also... if you’ve lost the original charge you have also lost a fair amount of the lubricating oil in the system. Two ways to solve that problem. You can purchase freon that includes an oil charge or you can purchase a small can of refrigeration oil and add oil w/o adding freon.

might want to consider removing power to the compressor until you figure where the Freon is going.
    Yeah, I don't know what I'm gonna do. The stop leak is probably just a temporary fix any way. And I hate to put something in the system that may clog up something and cause more expensive repairs down the road when it may just be a seal or O ring now. It hasn't quit cycling completely yet, but it kicks in for a couple of seconds then off for a couple and so on.

I don't drive that vehicle that much so I may just stick it out for the next two months until the weather cools down and address it again in the Spring.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yeah, I don't know what I'm gonna do. The stop leak is probably just a temporary fix any way. And I hate to put something in the system that may clog up something and cause more expensive repairs down the road when it may just be a seal or O ring now. It hasn't quit cycling completely yet, but it kicks in for a couple of seconds then off for a couple and so on.

I don't drive that vehicle that much so I may just stick it out for the next two months until the weather cools down and adress it again in the Spring.

A/C Stop-Leak isn't like Fix-A-Flat! It has seal conditioners that are oil based, similar to the A/C charge oil. Cycling on and off repeatedly is one sign of low refridgerant charge, but it could also be a bad low or high pressure switch as well. If there are no leaks in the system, I would be looking for a bad switch as being the possible problem.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Last time I had this happen on a vehicle it was the condenser coil. Had to replace it. Wasn’t any stop leak gonna fix my issue. Stop leak products in AC charged systems is a long shot but sometimes they work as per reasons already noted. Good luck. It’s the hottest week of the year.......

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    My '95 Sonoma has developed a leak in the AC system. I recharged it a couple of weeks ago with some R 134a from Advance Auto. Now it's blowing warm air again and the compressor constantly cycles, just like the first time it lost refrigerant. Now I'm thinking about using some of that AC stop leak to see if that will fix it. So, my question is, does that stuff really work, or will it do more harm than good? Let me hear your experience with it.
    The problem is your accumulater is compromised because your vacuum is gone.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The problem is your accumulater is compromised because your vacuum is gone.

Wut?

There is never a vacuum in an A/C system unless you are pulling it down to charge it. Otherwise it is always under pressure.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Wut?

There is never a vacuum in an A/C system unless you are pulling it down to charge it. Otherwise it is always under pressure.

you are right. I don't know what I was thinking. If he has a leak and all the freon is gone then he will need a new receiver, (dryer, accumulator)

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom