• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I know they're moving in front of Splashtown soon, are there still any good deals worth a 200 mile drive? TIA
    Texas SOT

Michael000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Spring, TX
    Didn't even know they were moving but that's awesome news. Flipping hate going to that Academy in the afternoons as that intersection of Rayford and 45 is an absolute mess. At the new location i can go there then straight to SGA to shoot heh.

In terms of deals, not super recent info but as of about a week ago they just had your typical clearance racks/shelves you'd find at the end of any season so i don't believe they're even prepping for the move yet. I plan on going to the range in the next couple of days so i'll be making a trip up there and can give you concrete info then.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    That intersection does suck for sure. I found out they are moving @ 2 weeks ago from the gun counter dude but, he didn't offer and I didn't ask when. He implied they are still building the new one. I bought 2 cases like the one pictured for $50 and stopped at the Huntsville store on the way home where they were $70/ea,

A couple things I'm interested in:
    Collapsible or the folding sides tote wagons in the camping section
    Rifle, pistol or combo shooting rest (though what I've seen to date is not impressive)

th?&id=HN.608009383503332961&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.jpg

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    That's interesting havnt heard that anywhere but that corner sucks not enough parking heavy traffic from the north hard to get in hard to get out. Was in there yesterday about five talked to a guy buying m855.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I rarely go there because the traffic sucks and the deals in the store are rarely worthwhile. I went back in August to get my hunting license printed (which they couldn't figure out how to do). And I went once around Christmas for a gift to be donated to kids in Tamina.

My in-laws like to eat at the Mexican restaurant in Spring and I did notice that the old Kroger has been converted to an Academy. Didn't notice a sign saying when they expected to be open.

That shopping center has gone up and down several times since I've lived in this part of town. At one point it was just about vacant.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Yeah, I pass it everyday and refuse to go there. I usually just go to the location off Lake Woodlands and Pinecroft. Next time you're in this area Curtis hit me up.

Michael000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Spring, TX
    Was there and the Woodlands store on Sunday and i didn't see anything overly interesting at either. On the flip side the new location looks like it's damn near done, the exterior is completely done up in the Academy colors and is only missing the sign now. If they don't start moving there w/in the next month i'll be pretty surprised.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    On the flip side the new location looks like it's damn near done, the exterior is completely done up in the Academy colors and is only missing the sign now.
    Really? I'm surprised. For many, many years, the building wall closest to Splashtown was in danger of collapse and had extensive external wood bracing, sorta like makeshift flying buttresses, added to the outside to keep it up. If they've actually renovated the place well enough to move in, I say "Good for them!"

I'm gonna have to drive over there and have a look.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I can see the buttresses on Google Earth. I thought the Rayford employee told me they demo'd and built new and can only imagine insurance rates if they reno'd.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Maybe when they move they will hire better staff. The only thing I notice about Academy especially in Humble is they hire these people who know nothing about the outdoors or shooting.

ZeR0BuG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    SE, TX
    Not surprising. That store has been super neglected since the new one off Lake Woodlands opened. From what I hear that whole area has been bought out and they're going to do something with that intersection. Can't remember where I heard it from but would make sense.

Top Bottom