• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Man, GLICK Twins (No, not « GLOCK ») is right down the road !

I keep hearing good things about Glick twins but haven’t made it over there yet. I’ve been pretty much sticking to shooters alley and south Texas tactical so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I've bought pistols and rifles and have LTC, all the stores still fill out form. And walk you to the door. Probably to reduce 'scare' to other customers and fullfill liability req. so no-one buys a gun, loads it and starts shooting customers. They don't care if you are armed anyway, just not he gun they just sold.

alanwk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    El Paso, TX
    Yes, it’s a real PITA to buy guns from Academy. Plan on 30 mins after the 4473 is done at minimum. If someone else is in front of you, then you are screwed. I dont really consider them anymore for this very reason. And on top of that, you get the walk of shame and have to wait in line yet again to check out.

My FFL gets me out the door in (I’m just guessing here) about 15 minutes or so.
    Who is your FFL if I may ask?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep hearing good things about Glick twins but haven’t made it over there yet. I’ve been pretty much sticking to shooters alley and south Texas tactical so far.

<>

I live in SW LA, but hunted, fished, & vacationed in the RGV for decades b/f moving there back in the 1990’s for several years. Glick Twins was there many years back, made history selling shotgun shells.

It has become a South Texas Institution.

Since ‘’Chuck’s Guns’’ closed a few years back, I no longer have a lgs there.

Enjoy the Valley, it is a great part of America.

leVieux

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Who is your FFL if I may ask?
    He’s a coin and jewelry shop that does this on the side here in Houston. To my knowledge he doesn’t have any locations in ElPaso. Just a small two person shop. He says it’s “lunch money” for him

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've never found Academy to be the cheapest place to buy a firearm, and their service is "lacking".

As for the ATF, they're doing their level best to drive every FFL out of business. Their agents don't even understand the rules, but their going to enforce them to the last period. I did have to laugh the last time I filled out the purchase form. They've included the "pick your own gender" section in it now.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never found Academy to be the cheapest place to buy a firearm, and their service is "lacking".

As for the ATF, they're doing their level best to drive every FFL out of business. Their agents don't even understand the rules, but their going to enforce them to the last period. I did have to laugh the last time I filled out the purchase form. They've included the "pick your own gender" section in it now.
    That’s a shame, but it is coming from the top down. Damned democrat TYRANTS !

Slimshaddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2023
    South Austin Texas
    Their price on firearms, at least in Austin, is lower than any other retailer in town.
    I was talking to Joe McBride of McBrides guns, the oldest shop in town, a few years ago and he said they were crushing him and forcing him to lower his prices in order to even in the ballpark with academy.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Their price on firearms, at least in Austin, is lower than any other retailer in town.
    I was talking to Joe McBride of McBrides guns, the oldest shop in town, a few years ago and he said they were crushing him and forcing him to lower his prices in order to even in the ballpark with academy.
    If they have what you're looking for, mostly the popular models, they typically do have the best prices. On the other hand, if you are willing to order online and have a local FFL to do the transfer for you, you'll probably find a wider range of guns and good prices.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Hey guys. So we popped into academy today after the gun show to see if they had a little 22 plinkster in stock for the hell of it. They did. I bought it and was able to use my LTC to bypass nics. I was surprised because I’ve heard in the past they usually run a nics anyway. So all good there.

However, the counter kid said he had just been to some kinda conference with the atf recently. The atf is apparently heavily encouraging all FFLs to use “extreme discretion” in allowing an LTC holder to bypass nics. To me this seems like it’ll make some FFLs think they should just run a nics either way. Which is interesting.

I know it’s a discretionary thing in the first place but it seems they’re putting a little more emphasis on it now. As someone who’s nics gets delayed for several days every time, if you won’t take my LTC, you won’t be taking my money.

I just found this conversation interesting and, of course, it could just be heresay but I figured I’d share.

Also, fwiw, academy takes a damn long time to sell a gun. Walked in, knew what I wanted, found it, inspected, agreed to buy. I was in there for a damn hour between waiting for the one tablet to do a 4473 and the manager double checking every letter on the form.

You have experienced what is known as “gun counter commando horseshit” just ignore it and go about your day.

dfwpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Bought a Ruger 7.62x39 a couple of weeks ago. Called to make sure it was still on rack, said I was in my way and arrived. Took me about 10-minutes and was out the door.

Top Bottom