• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I've made it a practice to buy from my Local Gun Stores so they could remain in business. 99.9% of the time their prices were the same or cheaper than Academy anyway and they were always willing to order what I wanted if they didn't have it in stock....all at no extra cost. What really prevented me from buying from them was their policy on returning a new gun that was functioning improperly. A buddy bought a handgun and rifle from Academy and they made him sign a document stating that if anything was wrong, it was up to him to send it back to the manufacturer, and when he questioned that statement, the clerk told him the minute he took possession of the gun, they no longer had anything to do with it!! Over the last 50 years of my gun buying history, the LGS's I bought from ALWAYS were willing to ship any malfunctioning gun back to the manufacturer at no charge to me. One even went to battle for me on a rifle that had a bad land in the rifling of the barrel that I noticed while cleaning. The company (Remington) tried to say it was my fault, but upon pressuring by my LGS they replaced the barrel at no charge. When he got it back from them his in-house gunsmith performed a bore sight check of the rifling before releasing it to me.....all at no cost!!
    I buy most of my guns and have all my transfers done at Lakeview pawn shop in the colony. The 3 guns I've bought from academy were all based on availability and price. Mostly availability since the wuhan retard syndrome started in 2020.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Sounds like the clerk was doing his job and didn't want to possibly loose his job. Walmart is the same way. I was looking at a 22 and wanted to try the trigger, and they said they couldn't take the lock off, so I said ok, no sale.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    It's a bad policy, but it is Academy's policy, not the young salesman. He's been taught to use that passive-aggressive language, and I have to admit that nothing pisses me off faster than someone doing that. Human Resources people are trained to speak like that, and I put them just slightly above foreign terrorists and child molesters.

Now where I do have a question is why would anyone buy guns at Academy? They didn't start treating people badly just this week - it's been the way they've treated people for a long, long time. It's not a sporting goods store, it's a clothing store with a few sports accessories scattered around the perimeter. The quality of their firearms has long been questioned in the forums and the fact that they send everything back to the factory is not a good thing at all. They stand behind nothing. But worst of all is that their prices are not in line with their sales volumes. You can beat their prices at nearly any decent LGS, and certainly with online sales. A good LGS will negotiate the price and the payments, they'll stand behind the product if minor work needs to be done, and they'll strive to get you what you're looking for. Academy will sell you Chinese products and clothing sewn in 3rd world sweatshops, and they don't give a crap whether you come into the store again or not.
    Not to mention they took all the so called "assault rifles" off the shelves a while back for some PC BS crap. They only put them back after a lot of negative press and customer complaints.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    When? Except for being sold out all the ones frequent had all the same stuff up innthe display.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    I don't recall when but it was several years back after some mass shooting. Took 'em all down, but they got a lot of bad press over it and relented. Here it is.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    1635716259160.png

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    True story. This was at the League City store.
    That one guy at the gun counter is an idiot.
    One day I was checking out a Browning 1911-22 and he proudly informed me it had night sights. I'm standing there holding the gun looking at jet black sights with no dots at all. You sure about that Hoss?
    I showed him. Drrrrrrrr.
    I'll never forget the time I overheard an academy gun counter troll tell a customer that a 1911 had a DA trigger. I corrected him. He argued that it was a semi automatic handgun and therefore DA. Only cowboy revolvers have SA triggers!

It must be weird selling guns and not knowing anything about them.

I'm his defense, he probably doesn't have the key to remove the trigger lock and therefore has never pulled any of them.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    When I worked at Academy I started in sporting goods eventually moved to hunting and fishing. I couldn't sell guns until I completely their training. I remember one employee talking to a customer about a particular gun (I don't remember now it's been years) I knew more facts than the employee about the gun. The frame could be interchangeable to a different caliber. Anyway my employment didn't last, I was an early bird working at 5am. The manager wanted me to work the closing shift, I told him I couldn't change my life style. He said I had to because I worked in retail. I said no I don't, threw my badge on his desk and quit.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Guys at the gun counter are following company policy, taint their fault on the trigger pull or walking you out the door with it. I applied for a job at Academy some years ago, it's minimum wage. They may not know much but it ain't their fault. They work for the man. You can count on a new handgun having a heavy trigger pull, count on a trigger job or living with the heavy trigger pull. I bought a new 9 EZ and a compact .22 M&P. The 9 has an acceptable trigger pull for it's intended purpose. The .22 is way too heavy, don't know what to do about it, it is a screwed up design.

beswart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    Palestine,TX
    They are not going to get my gun money ever again.

Took the wife in to buy her mothers day gift cause she wanted to try out 3 different guns for a new ccw piece. She's shot plenty over the years but is like many women who have aversion to heavy triggers of revolvers and the difficulties of stuff springs in autos. Her last gun was a S&W 9mm auto which was a bit difficult in both the slide and DA trigger.

So off to academy we go to look at 3 specific guns, a 38spl snobby, taurus 9mm auto, I know, and my suggestion a S&W EZ in 9mm or 380.

We start with the snubby and S&W EZ and I explain to the guy what our decision parameters are and asked to take the trigger locks off so she can cock rack and test the trigger.

No he said.

I said what? No! We dont allow dry firing or the trigger locks to come off.

I asked so if we buy one and she cant safely operate it will you take it back? No all firearm sales are final.

Seriously? Then how are we supposed to ensure she gets a gun she is happy with? He says nothing. What if the gun is defective and we find out in the car after you hand me the box at the door? The manufacturer has a warranty? He says.

I tell her to hand him back the possible paperweight and that well go elsewhere.

At this point he turns into full on passive aggressive asshole and tosses the "if there is anything else I can help you with I will be happy to do so" with the phuck you tone that sales folk throw out. He was obviously put out that I would dare to ask to actually inspect or look over something I'm about to spend 4 or 5 hundred dollars on plus a couple holsters ammo and probably a ccw purse the wife was looking at.

The wife grabs my hand to say let it go and let's leave but Im done and in response to his is there anything else bs I tell him no, there is nothing else. You're are absolutely phucking useless and an arrogant little piss ant. I've spent well over a thousand dollars in here this year and was about to spend 500 more but you're to phucking ignorant to realise that people need to atleast inspect and operate the different manual of arms to decide between 2 differential guns. Your a typical gun counter troll, barely 21 cant even grow a full beard and you cop an attitude cause you think you learned all there is to know and what a customer needs to know in some bullshit firearms orientation that lasted a few hours. You lost this sale, probably a couple more this year, all my business for any other sporting goods and I will tell everyone who will listen to take their business elsewhere all because of your ignorance and attitude. I dont even care if someone told you this is a policy cause the attitude is the deal killer.

Frakin retard. Good thing he didnt try to temp me first. Lol

I feel better now. I spent my money elsewhere and rarely buy ammo there cause I'm not fighting the lines at donut making time just to get 2 boxes.

I think this Phucker might even have had a top knot too lol.

Ya I probably went over board but all 3 places we went afterwards let her try out stuff till she made up her mind. I have never been told this in any gun store except for some older higher end guns.
    At the first negative response I request a manager!

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Never bought a gun at Academy's and never will. I get my guns from authorized retailers based on occupation for myself and use club discounts when buying shotguns, ammo, and other practice equipment for my daughter.

Top Bottom