• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    They are not going to get my gun money ever again.

Took the wife in to buy her mothers day gift cause she wanted to try out 3 different guns for a new ccw piece. She's shot plenty over the years but is like many women who have aversion to heavy triggers of revolvers and the difficulties of stuff springs in autos. Her last gun was a S&W 9mm auto which was a bit difficult in both the slide and DA trigger.

So off to academy we go to look at 3 specific guns, a 38spl snobby, taurus 9mm auto, I know, and my suggestion a S&W EZ in 9mm or 380.

We start with the snubby and S&W EZ and I explain to the guy what our decision parameters are and asked to take the trigger locks off so she can cock rack and test the trigger.

No he said.

I said what? No! We dont allow dry firing or the trigger locks to come off.

I asked so if we buy one and she cant safely operate it will you take it back? No all firearm sales are final.

Seriously? Then how are we supposed to ensure she gets a gun she is happy with? He says nothing. What if the gun is defective and we find out in the car after you hand me the box at the door? The manufacturer has a warranty? He says.

I tell her to hand him back the possible paperweight and that well go elsewhere.

At this point he turns into full on passive aggressive asshole and tosses the "if there is anything else I can help you with I will be happy to do so" with the phuck you tone that sales folk throw out. He was obviously put out that I would dare to ask to actually inspect or look over something I'm about to spend 4 or 5 hundred dollars on plus a couple holsters ammo and probably a ccw purse the wife was looking at.

The wife grabs my hand to say let it go and let's leave but Im done and in response to his is there anything else bs I tell him no, there is nothing else. You're are absolutely phucking useless and an arrogant little piss ant. I've spent well over a thousand dollars in here this year and was about to spend 500 more but you're to phucking ignorant to realise that people need to atleast inspect and operate the different manual of arms to decide between 2 differential guns. Your a typical gun counter troll, barely 21 cant even grow a full beard and you cop an attitude cause you think you learned all there is to know and what a customer needs to know in some bullshit firearms orientation that lasted a few hours. You lost this sale, probably a couple more this year, all my business for any other sporting goods and I will tell everyone who will listen to take their business elsewhere all because of your ignorance and attitude. I dont even care if someone told you this is a policy cause the attitude is the deal killer.

Frakin retard. Good thing he didnt try to temp me first. Lol

I feel better now. I spent my money elsewhere and rarely buy ammo there cause I'm not fighting the lines at donut making time just to get 2 boxes.

I think this Phucker might even have had a top knot too lol.

Ya I probably went over board but all 3 places we went afterwards let her try out stuff till she made up her mind. I have never been told this in any gun store except for some older higher end guns.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Poor kid. Actually working at a shitty retail job instead of grinfucking the system for a free unemployment check. 8 hours on hard cement in a showbarn full of shuffling, mouth-breathing cheapskates. Endless lines of neckbeards asking when the next ammo truck is coming. A policy manual 100 pages thick and a Karen manager with a temper like a Catholic schoolteacher riding his ass all day about inventory issues, taking too many bathroom breaks, and coming back 73 seconds late from lunch. And then you come in and go all Sergeant Carter on his ass because he won't risk his job by breaking the stupid AF company policy by removing the trigger lock. LOL

iu

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Poor kid. Actually working at a shitty retail job instead of grinfucking the system for a free unemployment check. 8 hours on hard cement in a showbarn full of shuffling, mouth-breathing cheapskates. Endless lines of neckbeards asking when the next ammo truck is coming. A policy manual 100 pages thick and a Karen manager with a temper like a Catholic schoolteacher riding his ass all day about inventory issues, taking too many bathroom breaks, and coming back 73 seconds late from lunch. And then you come in and go all Sergeant Carter on his ass because he won't risk his job by breaking the stupid AF company policy by removing the trigger lock. LOL

iu
    He'll get over it I'm sure.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Walmart has had the trigger lock policy since before 1999 I know. Instant mandatory termination if you get caught letting a customer handle a firearm without one. Academy started dong it several years ago. Probably at the urging of lawyers. It is company policy there as well. I know the manager at the local store and that is what I get from him.
    It sucks. I like to test them as well. I'll even provide dummy rounds if the want. But the kid has no say so in it.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Honestly, I have to agree with @candcallen, and it may very well be store policy, or company policy or whatever, but the attitude is what drove CC over the edge. The store employee could have handled that in much different way. But it seems he copped an attitude instead.

And I may be out on the limb all by myself with CC, but if a store clerk pulls an attitude with me, I let them know rather quickly, it just cost them a sale, and future sales from me.

When you deal with the public, and the company or store you work for has some such policy, that could possibly upset a customer, and yes, if I couldn't test a trigger or function of handgun because of the trigger lock, I'd be a little upset too, then people skills are so very important. A good salesman would have known how to handle the situation. CC might have still ending up buying the pistol elsewhere, but the clerk cost them lots of future sales from CC.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Long standing policy at Academy. So go elsewhere but don't blame the guy at the counter. The boss makes the decision not the employee. This has stopped me before from buying a gun at Academy.
    Another gripe is the $20 off on $200 purchase mailing with a picture of a guy shooting a rifle. But the fine print excludes firearms. If you buy a gun at Academy make sure that it is the one you want. On the other hand if it turns out to have a defect they will ship it back to the manufacturer which is easier than you doing it.
    I have pretty much been happy with every gun I purchased at Academy.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It's a bad policy, but it is Academy's policy, not the young salesman. He's been taught to use that passive-aggressive language, and I have to admit that nothing pisses me off faster than someone doing that. Human Resources people are trained to speak like that, and I put them just slightly above foreign terrorists and child molesters.

Now where I do have a question is why would anyone buy guns at Academy? They didn't start treating people badly just this week - it's been the way they've treated people for a long, long time. It's not a sporting goods store, it's a clothing store with a few sports accessories scattered around the perimeter. The quality of their firearms has long been questioned in the forums and the fact that they send everything back to the factory is not a good thing at all. They stand behind nothing. But worst of all is that their prices are not in line with their sales volumes. You can beat their prices at nearly any decent LGS, and certainly with online sales. A good LGS will negotiate the price and the payments, they'll stand behind the product if minor work needs to be done, and they'll strive to get you what you're looking for. Academy will sell you Chinese products and clothing sewn in 3rd world sweatshops, and they don't give a crap whether you come into the store again or not.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    It's a bad policy, but it is Academy's policy, not the young salesman. He's been taught to use that passive-aggressive language, and I have to admit that nothing pisses me off faster than someone doing that. Human Resources people are trained to speak like that, and I put them just slightly above foreign terrorists and child molesters.

Now where I do have a question is why would anyone buy guns at Academy? They didn't start treating people badly just this week - it's been the way they've treated people for a long, long time. It's not a sporting goods store, it's a clothing store with a few sports accessories scattered around the perimeter. The quality of their firearms has long been questioned in the forums and the fact that they send everything back to the factory is not a good thing at all. They stand behind nothing. But worst of all is that their prices are not in line with their sales volumes. You can beat their prices at nearly any decent LGS, and certainly with online sales. A good LGS will negotiate the price and the payments, they'll stand behind the product if minor work needs to be done, and they'll strive to get you what you're looking for. Academy will sell you Chinese products and clothing sewn in 3rd world sweatshops, and they don't give a crap whether you come into the store again or not.
    I wish I had the availability of a GOOD local gunstore. You deal with what is available, drive a long distance or order mail order where you still can't test fire or feel how the gun feels in your hand. That is the advantage of a large city. I will stay with the smaller city.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The policy is frustrating and makes buying a gun impossible. It's also not absolute, and I didnt know about it, but I'll address that in a second. All sales are final and the first chance you get to even do a complete basic inspection is after you tossed your cash into a wishing well. Christ almighty, that's akin to a prepaid glory hole IMHO

The counter pricks attitude is infuriating and is what lost them my business. If I could return the 2 new guns sitting in the safe I would just to say phuck you very much. A "I'm very sorry cause I know it's stupid but company policy"......is the way to handle that.

On top of that, I didnt buy 2 handguns there in the last 6 months without checking them out completely and I know I stripped down a Glock and the m&p so the policy isnt set in stone. I pulled the trigger on the M&P in the store too cause we discussed the clear stop after the slack unlike the more mushy Glocks I'm used to.

It's like buying a car that they only let you sit in prior to purchase. No lifting the hood, starting the motor or test drive. If it experiences a rapid unplanned disassembly when you start it after you sign the papers...
    Oh well.

I went to Scheels and they let us try what they had in stock but the prices were about 70 bucks higher than we paid. Great service as usual and very accommodating.

We bought at lake view pawn. Outstanding price, let the wife try everything multiple times and good service. That's where I do all my transfers of stuff I order.

As for Academy, the 2 previous times I bought guns there were the only times I purchased firearms from them and they were not bad for a store their size. I've bought shoes and various small gun parts holsters etc cause they are close and were in stock and they are 5 min away but I have found myself going to Scheels for all that stuff the last several months.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I went into a lgs about a month ago looking for a Ruger GP100. Salesperson in the small shop was on the phone and by the conversation was NOT business and never even acknowledged my presence. Went to a cabinet with revolvers, didn't see anything and left. So much for that lgs getting my business. I don't know if it is policy at all Academy to not remove trigger lock but it has always been at mine. They still have one of the best assortment of new guns.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Walmart has had the trigger lock policy since before 1999 I know. Instant mandatory termination if you get caught letting a customer handle a firearm without one. Academy started dong it several years ago. Probably at the urging of lawyers. It is company policy there as well. I know the manager at the local store and that is what I get from him.
    It sucks. I like to test them as well. I'll even provide dummy rounds if the want. But the kid has no say so in it.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Buy local.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    They are not going to get my gun money ever again.

Took the wife in to buy her mothers day gift cause she wanted to try out 3 different guns for a new ccw piece. She's shot plenty over the years but is like many women who have aversion to heavy triggers of revolvers and the difficulties of stuff springs in autos. Her last gun was a S&W 9mm auto which was a bit difficult in both the slide and DA trigger.

So off to academy we go to look at 3 specific guns, a 38spl snobby, taurus 9mm auto, I know, and my suggestion a S&W EZ in 9mm or 380.

We start with the snubby and S&W EZ and I explain to the guy what our decision parameters are and asked to take the trigger locks off so she can cock rack and test the trigger.

No he said.

I said what? No! We dont allow dry firing or the trigger locks to come off.

I asked so if we buy one and she cant safely operate it will you take it back? No all firearm sales are final.

Seriously? Then how are we supposed to ensure she gets a gun she is happy with? He says nothing. What if the gun is defective and we find out in the car after you hand me the box at the door? The manufacturer has a warranty? He says.

I tell her to hand him back the possible paperweight and that well go elsewhere.

At this point he turns into full on passive aggressive asshole and tosses the "if there is anything else I can help you with I will be happy to do so" with the phuck you tone that sales folk throw out. He was obviously put out that I would dare to ask to actually inspect or look over something I'm about to spend 4 or 5 hundred dollars on plus a couple holsters ammo and probably a ccw purse the wife was looking at.

The wife grabs my hand to say let it go and let's leave but Im done and in response to his is there anything else bs I tell him no, there is nothing else. You're are absolutely phucking useless and an arrogant little piss ant. I've spent well over a thousand dollars in here this year and was about to spend 500 more but you're to phucking ignorant to realise that people need to atleast inspect and operate the different manual of arms to decide between 2 differential guns. Your a typical gun counter troll, barely 21 cant even grow a full beard and you cop an attitude cause you think you learned all there is to know and what a customer needs to know in some bullshit firearms orientation that lasted a few hours. You lost this sale, probably a couple more this year, all my business for any other sporting goods and I will tell everyone who will listen to take their business elsewhere all because of your ignorance and attitude. I dont even care if someone told you this is a policy cause the attitude is the deal killer.

Frakin retard. Good thing he didnt try to temp me first. Lol

I feel better now. I spent my money elsewhere and rarely buy ammo there cause I'm not fighting the lines at donut making time just to get 2 boxes.

I think this Phucker might even have had a top knot too lol.

Ya I probably went over board but all 3 places we went afterwards let her try out stuff till she made up her mind. I have never been told this in any gun store except for some older higher end guns.
    I asked for a manager when that exact scenario happened with me. Manager took the trigger lock off with no issues.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Had the same thing happen to me at Cabelas.
    was looking at a S&W M686. Damn near $1000 gun and the counter guy refused to remove the lock. He actually told me to drive down the road to another gun shop and try the trigger there.
    I asked the stupid ass if I go down there I will buy the gun there.
    I also asked him Would you buy a $1000 gun without trying out the trigger?
    He just stood there looking like a cow staring at a new gate.
    I walked out.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Had the same thing happen to me at Cabelas.
    was looking at a S&W M686. Damn near $1000 gun and the counter guy refused to remove the lock. He actually told me to drive down the road to another gun shop and try the trigger there.
    I asked the stupid ass if I go down there I will buy the gun there.
    I also asked him Would you buy a $1000 gun without trying out the trigger?
    He just stood there looking like a cow staring at a new gate.
    I walked out.
    Have never had Cabelas do that.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If the store employee had really cared, instead of copping an attitude, he would have gotten his manager to see what could have been done to make the sale. Even if the manager said no, at least an honest effort would have been made on the part of the salesman.

A poor attitude has cost people a sale with me as well over the years. It has cost waiters and waitresses their tips as well. I hate a poor or rude attitude as much as I hate poor service.

Top Bottom