• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    What a bunch of of old bitchy assholes. Most already said what I feel. It's a retail store that sells guns, not a gun store. Unlike buying a car, you're spending under a grand. Comparing the two buying experience and expecting the same level of salesmanship is naive. Honestly in today's world of reviews and YouTube videos, if you haven't researched a product to find out if it's any good, trigger pull weight etc, that's on you. Academy should be treated like gunbroker. I go in knowing what I want and fully educated. If you want the full buying experience, pay more at an lgs so he can hold your little hand and walk you through your purchase. Grow up and realize who you were dealing with and where you were at.

I also think a mirror would go a long way here.

Last edited:

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Why would one buy a gun at Academy? It has, honestly, never crossed my mind. I find the concept ridiculous.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I decided to never buy from them when I learned how they store firearms at night. I have no idea if this is all stores but the store manager at the north Richland hills store must be some kind of mega level dick.

I asked to look at a rifle. Guy hands it to me. I’m horrified. It looked like it tumbled down a mountain and chewed on by grizzlies. I ask wtf, what discount do I get for buying this? He’s tells none and the manager orders the guys at the end of shift to put em all away back in the safe and it happens fast. I mean it looked they tossed inventory together and gave zero fucks. I get a few dings here and there but omg...I’m not exaggerating these guns looked like hell. And y’all want your full asking price? You’re drunk on hogs3.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    What a dumpster fire.

"Karen needs a manager. STAT!"

I ain't gonna coddle some counter clerk, but damn.
    I ain't gonna nuke the $8 an hour guy either.
    At least he's got a job and ain't drawing the overblown unemployment benefits.

Damnation. WTF is happening in Texas?

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Had the same thing happen to me at Cabelas.
    was looking at a S&W M686. Damn near $1000 gun and the counter guy refused to remove the lock. He actually told me to drive down the road to another gun shop and try the trigger there.
    I asked the stupid ass if I go down there I will buy the gun there.
    I also asked him Would you buy a $1000 gun without trying out the trigger?
    He just stood there looking like a cow staring at a new gate.
    I walked out.
    The Cabelas and Bass Pros in DFW have that stupid policy now. Pre merger with Bass Pro, Cabelas had no trigger locks on their guns. Supposedly some dumbass walked in and took ammo off the shell and killed himself in the store ( in some other state).

TTM07

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2019
    San Antonio
    What a bunch of of old bitchy assholes. Most already said what I feel. It's a retail store that sells guns, not a gun store. Unlike buying a car, you're spending under a grand. Comparing the two buying experience and expecting the same level of salesmanship is naive. Honestly in today's world of reviews and YouTube videos, if you haven't researched a product to find out if it's any good, trigger pull weight etc, that's on you. Academy should be treated like gunbroker. I go in knowing what I want and fully educated. If you want the full buying experience, pay more at an lgs so he can hold your little hand and walk you through your purchase. Grow up and realize who you were dealing with and where you were at.

nailed it. You have to look at the big picture. Some kid making $8 bucks and hour doesn't represent the company no matter what you might think. He doesn't care that you didn't buy there. He'll quit in another month anyway.

I go out of my way to buy gun stuff at Academy because I realize how fortunate we are to have them. In many places the only option is a not-so-friendly local gun store selling ammo at 3x the price of Academy. Don't count on online either as that can disappear in a heartbeat.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    The policy is frustrating and makes buying a gun impossible.

. . . . .

On top of that, I didnt buy 2 handguns there in the last 6 months . . .
    mdn.gif

when-im-pooping-and-a-turd-is-hanging-from-my-butt-83817.gif

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Lastly, it's funny that the same whining from a millennial would make them the target of ridicule on here; but it's OK for old guys to bitch like one...
    :laughing: yep... Millennials and boomers have the exact same entitlement and elitist attitudes, and they'll both cry over that statement.

I haven't bought anything from Academy other than clothes from the clearance rack in several years. I don't expect good customer service from them since they are a cheap ass store, but they also aren't cheap enough to really justify shopping there. My favorite LGS closed a few years ago, so I haven't even bought a gun in person since then.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

So a clerk should not show common courtesy?

Things were different in my day.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    What a dumpster fire.

"Karen needs a manager. STAT!"

I ain't gonna coddle some counter clerk, but damn.
    I ain't gonna nuke the $8 an hour guy either.
    At least he's got a job and ain't drawing the overblown unemployment benefits.

Damnation. WTF is happening in Texas?
    And when did displaying politeness and common courtesy get thrown out the window?

Minimum wage clerks got fired for not being polite at one time.

What the heck is happening in Texas? We just keep lowering our standards.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    So a clerk should not show common courtesy?

Things were different in my day.
    He should. My personal suspicion based on similar interactions in retail is cc probably asked to remove the locks, (no attitude) Clerk replies he can't ( no attitude). CC is acostoted and takes issues with not getting his way, proceeds to get angry, and perceives anyone not agreeing with him is a rude asshole. Clerk , who probably doesn't care, gets defensive and things escalate. Again, a mirror would go a long way in seeing thr problem.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom