I purchased a G44 several weeks ago and no trigger lock
    Said I could dry fire but I don’t dry fire rim fire without snap caps

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    And when did displaying politeness and common courtesy get thrown out the window?

Minimum wage clerks got fired for not being polite at one time.

What the heck is happening in Texas? We just keep lowering our standards.

Being polite is one thing, but OP was way out of line.

You cant really claim the high ground about being polite when you are cursing out a minimum wage counter guy for not being 100% invested in a subject he might not really care about

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    They are not going to get my gun money ever again.

Took the wife in to buy her mothers day gift cause she wanted to try out 3 different guns for a new ccw piece. She's shot plenty over the years but is like many women who have aversion to heavy triggers of revolvers and the difficulties of stuff springs in autos. Her last gun was a S&W 9mm auto which was a bit difficult in both the slide and DA trigger.

So off to academy we go to look at 3 specific guns, a 38spl snobby, taurus 9mm auto, I know, and my suggestion a S&W EZ in 9mm or 380.

We start with the snubby and S&W EZ and I explain to the guy what our decision parameters are and asked to take the trigger locks off so she can cock rack and test the trigger.

No he said.

I said what? No! We dont allow dry firing or the trigger locks to come off.

I asked so if we buy one and she cant safely operate it will you take it back? No all firearm sales are final.

Seriously? Then how are we supposed to ensure she gets a gun she is happy with? He says nothing. What if the gun is defective and we find out in the car after you hand me the box at the door? The manufacturer has a warranty? He says.

I tell her to hand him back the possible paperweight and that well go elsewhere.

At this point he turns into full on passive aggressive asshole and tosses the "if there is anything else I can help you with I will be happy to do so" with the phuck you tone that sales folk throw out. He was obviously put out that I would dare to ask to actually inspect or look over something I'm about to spend 4 or 5 hundred dollars on plus a couple holsters ammo and probably a ccw purse the wife was looking at.

The wife grabs my hand to say let it go and let's leave but Im done and in response to his is there anything else bs I tell him no, there is nothing else. You're are absolutely phucking useless and an arrogant little piss ant. I've spent well over a thousand dollars in here this year and was about to spend 500 more but you're to phucking ignorant to realise that people need to atleast inspect and operate the different manual of arms to decide between 2 differential guns. Your a typical gun counter troll, barely 21 cant even grow a full beard and you cop an attitude cause you think you learned all there is to know and what a customer needs to know in some bullshit firearms orientation that lasted a few hours. You lost this sale, probably a couple more this year, all my business for any other sporting goods and I will tell everyone who will listen to take their business elsewhere all because of your ignorance and attitude. I dont even care if someone told you this is a policy cause the attitude is the deal killer.

Frakin retard. Good thing he didnt try to temp me first. Lol

I feel better now. I spent my money elsewhere and rarely buy ammo there cause I'm not fighting the lines at donut making time just to get 2 boxes.

I think this Phucker might even have had a top knot too lol.

Ya I probably went over board but all 3 places we went afterwards let her try out stuff till she made up her mind. I have never been told this in any gun store except for some older higher end guns.
    Sorry about the “reception” y’all received. While it does seem you got the goon hand approach to sales, I do understand the trigger lock issue. I worked for Oshmans while in college. For those that don’t remember them they were basically the equivalent of Academy in Texas up until the late 90s when they folded shop and sold out to another company.

When I was behind the counter we would always remove any magazines and do a chamber check. That’s basic safety. But… because people would insert their own loaded mags into the gun they were looking at or load up the original magazine, Oshmans decided to keep cable locks attached. Prior to them doing that several robberies happened because someone was able to use Oshmans own guns against the employees. I was okay with locking them down If it meant I got to go home alive that night.

Im not sticking up for the a-hole you dealt with, but like you said, he probably didn’t have the first clue about what you were looking at, or the first bit of knowledge to help, and was just following store protocol to the letter because he has the cushiest job in the store. Your experience, especially during these times, makes me understand more than ever why the only thing I use Academy or Bass, or Scheels for is clothing and ammo. Hardware, whether a gun or another big ticket item, is relegated to my father in-law who is a dealer, or a specialty shop that knows what they are doing.

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I worked at Academy in the sporting goods section, baseball, soccer stuff like that. I got transferred to guns section, always was a shooter especially handguns. Until I did their training I couldn't handle any weapons. The manager of the department was a real douche, one Sunday we had a department meeting after hours. The douche had been out fishing and had a good buzz going, he was a nice guy that night. Needless to say I quit one day, I was the early stocking shelves shift before opening. He informed me I would be closing starting the following week. Told him I couldn't do it, he said tuff you work in retail. I told him not anymore and tossed my employee badge on his desk and walked out.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    1620578944221.png

Waldotallboy64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2020
    Lubbock
    :laughing: yep... Millennials and boomers have the exact same entitlement and elitist attitudes, and they'll both cry over that statement.

I haven't bought anything from Academy other than clothes from the clearance rack in several years. I don't expect good customer service from them since they are a cheap ass store, but they also aren't cheap enough to really justify shopping there. My favorite LGS closed a few years ago, so I haven't even bought a gun in person since then.

This video is SPOT ON!!! To infinity and beyond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Hmm. Wow. How to respond... Obviously I'm a bit biased and think you should be spending your money at the LGS. Academy gets a TON of free press on this board and they don't contribute anything (sponsor dollars or forum posts). In a backhanded sort of way, I'm glad you had a bad experience. But you've been loyal to Academy, the impersonal big box store that pays their employees $9-$13/hr. They have "corporate type" rules that don't allow anyone to take a trigger lock off the gun and dry fire. Imagine that. So they prevent that guy from walking in, stepping back from the counter, and pulling a loaded magazine our of their pocket that just happens to fit the gun. Do the kids working the counter at Academy carry? No? So, while I never like to defend the competition, in this case, I'll say their policy isn't unreasonable. If you want to try a gun, go to a range and rent one. Then you get the full effect. Holding a gun and firing it are quite different. And if you're comparing a 38 snubbie to a 380 Shield, well, you REALLY need to fire both.

If there is a defect, yes, that goes to the manf. If you find a defect in the car in the parking lot that you wouldn't have in the store without dry firing it, ...really? I doubt it. But, no, you cannot buy a gun and leave and then return it to ANY gun store I've ever heard of.

Now, as for dry firing, again, do you want to buy a gun that 100 other people have put their cheetoes stained fingers on and pulled the trigger 500 times or so? I had a Colt Commander on the shelf and guy says "can you order me a new one? This looks used." Well, apparently a few too many people did exactly what you asked and there were microscratches on the slide from people's rings or whatever and racking the slide and dry firing. So, again, not unreasonable. Having said that, I've even unloaded my gun before (P365XL) to let someone see how the trigger feels or went in my office to retrieve a Ruger GP100 or my Glock so people could compare. I even let them fingerbang my $4000 1911 to see what a "real" trigger feels like or try the triggers in competition rifles. I spend 30 minutes doing a free "here's how to hold a gun and aim correctly" class. What price do you put on good service?

But then you went to three other stores. If you handled the same few guns at three different stores, that's a problem. They feel the same in each store. If you went to three stores because nobody had it in stock, well, okay. Add that travel time and fuel to the cost of the guns. Realize in "normal" times, a store makes about 12% gross on a gun. Minus credit card fees, that's 9%. On a $500 gun, that's $45. Divide that by the many people who wanted to dry fire and rack the slide and demo three different guns and then walk out to price shop with their "free" info, and, well, it barely covers the hourly wage of the employee working the counter. That's reality.

But I hope you do start to build a relationship with your LGS. And if he's a few dollars more than Academy, but he lets you dry fire the guns or explains why a gun is better or not, respect that and pay him for his service (by buying the gun from him). But if you're like most people (like the CTD haters), then as soon as you get a 10% off coupon, you'll be back in the store. Short memories. Notice Gander Mtn isn't around anymore. The "let people feel the guns and then price shop us" model didn't work so well.

Final story. I went to Academy to buy a spotting scope. Kinda cheap but not free, $300 or so. Old grumpy guy (like me, but worse). I turn the focus knob and I don't think it's changing focus. I tell the guy "I think the focus knob is broken." As he takes it out of my hand he says "Well, what you expect. It's a cheap scope." Huh???

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Your perspective reminds of the guys who go into a cigar store, then go into the big humidor, take a single cigar out of the box, run it under their nose, squeeze it and put it back.

Now, you pick out the same cigar to smoke...not knowing all the guys who just had to feel it, smell it and generally fondle it...nice...

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    I've never walked into a gun store and bought a gun without working the action, and pulling the trigger.

Evidently several of ya'll have.
    And that's the rub. For some reason people treat Academy like a gun store. It is not a "gun store" the same way Oshman's (when I worked there as a kid), or Bass Pro is not strictly a "gun store." I would expect to be able to test the working parts of a gun I was about to purchase at a true gun store that is staffed with people who understand guns, as opposed to buying a gun from a sporting goods store where the guy selling you the gun just sold a pair of Reeboks 30 minutes prior.

I'm not slamming you on this, but using your thought because people can't seem to wrap their head around there being a difference between a timecard punching snot-nosed punk who barely knows the difference between a Sig and a squirt gun, and someone who makes his or her living knowing the ins and outs of each gun and accessory in their store.

With that said, it is the corporate policy of many sporting goods stores to keep everything locked down for the "safety" of their employees. I accept that because I have been through it when I worked at Oshman's, and heard several stories of really bad things happening when some criminal got hold of a weapon at the gun counter to use on the employees. I can expect most of the people in true guns stores are carrying and loaded, and are ready for the idiot or criminal who walks in. The same can't be said of the $12 an hour kid behind the counter at Academy. Because of that reasoning, I accept it and know if I want real help and knowledge, I will head to a real gun store for my gun purchases, and leave Academy and Bass Pro for when I need some ammo, sneakers or socks.

Top Bottom