• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I cringe every time someone slams a slide using the slide lock as a release when looking at new guns..........

Then do it over and over saying how much they love the sound...............

The same people don't know/understand why you don't dry fire 22's..

grrrrrrrr...........
    Capitol Armory ad

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I cringe every time someone slams a slide using the slide lock as a release when looking at new guns..........

Then do it over and over saying how much they love the sound...............

The same people don't know/understand why you don't dry fire 22's..

grrrrrrrr...........

Serious question.
    What is the difference between using the slide release, or pulling back and letting go?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Some people think a ghostly hand retards the slide of their handgun so that it does not slide forward and slam home. Limp grip
    Matters not that the slide is made to slam both forward and back with great force in order to operate the weapon. It does not even slow down to engage a new round and cause it to chamber. A very good thing.
    Same folks wonder what those finger serrations are on the slide lock/release.
    I wonder if these people have ever fired a live round and noted how violent it is. The slide working so fast and with such force that even a kid at Academy just sees a blur.
    All this violence will eventually wear on the gun metal. Most people won't shoot or live long enough to see it. Except at Academy where their guns are so fragile that one must walk the slide home or it will destroy itself. Don't buy from them.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Not at all.
    I'm admitting my ignorance.
    What is the difference?

ETA: Or, you mean it's like a "pet peeve" thing?
    This is like the magazine-clip argument. Think of them all as a slide lock. Some are easily a slide release as well but some are very hard to release and in that case the slingshot method works. On an AR the slide lock is also the release. I prefer the slingshot method on a pistol rather than the slide lock. If your gun easily releases with the slide lock use it if you wish. You don't hurt the gun using the slingshot method.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Not at all.
    I'm admitting my ignorance.
    What is the difference?

ETA: Or, you mean it's like a "pet peeve" thing?

Yes, a pet peeve......thing...

A lot of folks could care less either way. Of course guns violently slam back and forth upon firing but when the slide goes into battery, there is brass cartridge that keeps steel from slamming on steel.......if you want to do it your guns, go ahead, I won't say a word......but please don't do it to mine........

To me it's like spinning a revolver cylinder and flicking it shut like in the movies......very bad for the revolver.....

In a gun store it is bad etiquette (in my shop) to slam a slide using the slide lock.......yes a lot of folks use it as a slide release....but on some guns the slide lock quickly wears out and the slide lock no longer holds the slide open securely or sometimes at all.... I have changed many, many slide locks on Bersa Thunder 380's for that reason alone. Other guns are not as susceptible depending on the steel used for the slide lock...

You will see instructors teaching both ways.....

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I have changed many, many slide locks on Bersa Thunder 380's for that reason alone. Other guns are not as susceptible depending on the steel used for the slide lock...

Nailed it. Buy a quality gun with good metallurgy and its not a problem. Buy a Brazilian gun or a high point made out of pot metal, sure you may have issue.

llbts1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Aledo, Texas
    Yes, a pet peeve......thing...

A lot of folks could care less either way. Of course guns violently slam back and forth upon firing but when the slide goes into battery, there is brass cartridge that keeps steel from slamming on steel.......if you want to do it your guns, go ahead, I won't say a word......but please don't do it to mine........

To me it's like spinning a revolver cylinder and flicking it shut like in the movies......very bad for the revolver.....

In a gun store it is bad etiquette (in my shop) to slam a slide using the slide lock.......yes a lot of folks use it as a slide release....but on some guns the slide lock quickly wears out and the slide lock no longer holds the slide open securely or sometimes at all.... I have changed many, many slide locks on Bersa Thunder 380's for that reason alone. Other guns are not as susceptible depending on the steel used for the slide lock...

Thank you sir. I also learned something new. I appreciate it.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Updated.

I snuck back into academy tonight after meeting with a member to make an exchange.

I would be a real asshole, well some think I am anyways, if I didnt report my OUTSTANDING EXPERIENCE.

I bought a gun from their packed gun department for about the same price as online after taxes fees transfer and shipping. I was allowed to manipulate the gun, remove the trigger lock, try holsters all the stuff we couldnt do last time. No attitude from the mostly new sales staff.

Oh their ammo department is pretty full of everything. Even 9mm and 223/556.

So I will go on counting my last experience as an anomaly

They are still light on S&W mags and they dont have a huge selection of holsters but otherwise an full gun rack of rifles n shotguns and full case of handguns.

So I guess the unautofornicated themselves. Lol

Big shout out to Sergio and Micah.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I've made it a practice to buy from my Local Gun Stores so they could remain in business. 99.9% of the time their prices were the same or cheaper than Academy anyway and they were always willing to order what I wanted if they didn't have it in stock....all at no extra cost. What really prevented me from buying from them was their policy on returning a new gun that was functioning improperly. A buddy bought a handgun and rifle from Academy and they made him sign a document stating that if anything was wrong, it was up to him to send it back to the manufacturer, and when he questioned that statement, the clerk told him the minute he took possession of the gun, they no longer had anything to do with it!! Over the last 50 years of my gun buying history, the LGS's I bought from ALWAYS were willing to ship any malfunctioning gun back to the manufacturer at no charge to me. One even went to battle for me on a rifle that had a bad land in the rifling of the barrel that I noticed while cleaning. The company (Remington) tried to say it was my fault, but upon pressuring by my LGS they replaced the barrel at no charge. When he got it back from them his in-house gunsmith performed a bore sight check of the rifling before releasing it to me.....all at no cost!!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I've made it a practice to buy from my Local Gun Stores so they could remain in business. 99.9% of the time their prices were the same or cheaper than Academy anyway and they were always willing to order what I wanted if they didn't have it in stock....all at no extra cost. What really prevented me from buying from them was their policy on returning a new gun that was functioning improperly. A buddy bought a handgun and rifle from Academy and they made him sign a document stating that if anything was wrong, it was up to him to send it back to the manufacturer, and when he questioned that statement, the clerk told him the minute he took possession of the gun, they no longer had anything to do with it!! Over the last 50 years of my gun buying history, the LGS's I bought from ALWAYS were willing to ship any malfunctioning gun back to the manufacturer at no charge to me. One even went to battle for me on a rifle that had a bad land in the rifling of the barrel that I noticed while cleaning. The company (Remington) tried to say it was my fault, but upon pressuring by my LGS they replaced the barrel at no charge. When he got it back from them his in-house gunsmith performed a bore sight check of the rifling before releasing it to me.....all at no cost!!

When I was hunting for my new Walther - I looked at Academy's prices because the only shop I'd found one in yet was the one in the gun range I've been going to - they have 3 tiers of pricing depending on if you're a member or not. Non-member pricing was over $700 for it before tax. Academy lists them at $599 but not in stock, not available for order to the store - closest store that showed in-stock was Beaumont (and who knows if their website was accurate!)

I popped into TX Arsenal in Pinehurst yesterday after checking another LGS - and to my pleasant surprise they had two, including the version I was looking for. Since I paid cash they pay the sales tax, which saved me a bunch, but they also charge a 2% processing fee for plastic transactions, so I saved another 2% - so since I paid cash I saved 10.25% - and they had the gun marked at MSRP. The price difference between Academy's + tax, versus TX Arsenal who paid the tax out of the price of the gun was $1.58 - as the Academy price *would* have been $648.41 - I paid $649.99 at TX Arsenal.

I've had nothing but good service dealing with them - I had them do the smithery to get my RDS mounted on my carry pistol. They helped me out getting a hard to find part for my AR months back. They've always been friendly and helpful, even when just going in to browse and bullshit. I'd much rather give my money to a shop like that, even if I do have to pay a bit more.

Big box stores can be limited in what they can get, and sometimes can't even order stuff for you. They're at the mercy of corporate buyers. Their staff aren't typically the most knowledgeable - the guy working the gun counter today might've been working fishing, or clothing, or footwear the week before. He may not know a Glock from his pet rooster. *Most* gunshop employee's I've dealt with over the years can at least ID makes of popular guns off the bat. They might not know much about niche guns or small manufacturers or something, but they're better overall.

Glad to heard that @candcallen had a positive experience this go round.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Strange as I just purchased a gun at Academy and they told me that if anything was wrong they would ship it back to the manufacturer. I don't like purchase of a gun at Academy because they won't let me dry fire it. Unfortunately my open LGS won't even get off his butt to help me when I walk in and the good store we had closed.
    I did get a beautiful Ruger GP100 black 5" recently at Academy (357) and the counter guys who are all good guys had fun playing with it in the back room. It was a ship to store purchase. Their primer prices are still reasonable and they are starting to get them back in. Military discount now too and I think veterans qualify.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Strange as I just purchased a gun at Academy and they told me that if anything was wrong they would ship it back to the manufacturer. I don't like purchase of a gun at Academy because they won't let me dry fire it. Unfortunately my open LGS won't even get off his butt to help me when I walk in and the good store we had closed.
    I did get a beautiful Ruger GP100 black 5" recently at Academy (357) and the counter guys who are all good guys had fun playing with it in the back room. It was a ship to store purchase. Their primer prices are still reasonable and they are starting to get them back in. Military discount now too and I think veterans qualify.

They do. My dad uses it, and when we were at the Tomball store the other day, he asked if it applied to firearms, and the gentleman running the counter said it does.

Top Bottom