• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Academy= Mostly Chinese shit! I see them as the walmart of sporting goods.

If you have a list of stores that don't mostly sell Chinese shit, I'd love to see it. It doesn't have to be sporting goods related.

Short of the grocery store, I'm pretty sure most places I walk into are full of chinese shit.
    Guns International

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    So this morning I went to Academy and there was a humongous line outside and an Academy employee at the door. Figuring it was a line for ammunition, I started though the door and this "employee" stepped in front of me and stopped my entry into the store. He said "There's a line for ammunition outside!" I had already determined I was not interested in standing in that line figuring from the number of folks in line that it would be pointless to get in line. Sooo... I told him I was not buying ammunition and started around him. He again, stepped in front of me, blocking my entry into the store and repeated himself. "There's a line for ammunition!" I repeated myself saying "I'm not buying ammunition!!!" The he ask "What are you buying???" Frustrated with the B/S I told him "holster". I should have said none of your business!", stepped around him, again and as I entered the store I heard him say "Oh, alright...." After going back to the hunting section and seeing nothing that interested me I went to the customer service desk and ask to speak with the manager. Wellll... lo 'n behold I'd already spoken with him once this morning - same guy as the store entry police. I voiced my complaint he apologized saying recently folks had said the same thing as me yet once in the store went to the C/S desk(where they keep 9mm, .223 and some other caliber) and proceed to buying ammunition. I understand his dilemma but blocking entry into the store and questioning customers about their intended purchases seems a bit over the top to me.

Dougw1515,

Had the NITWIT "stepped in front of me", I might have WHACKED him "accidentally" across the shins with my walking cane. = THEN I would have apologized profusely to him for "being clumsy".

yours, satx

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Academy....... indeed a nutso place!
    About a year ago, I bought some ammunition and the cashier demanded to see my ID to prove that I was 18+. I'm 70+ grey haired and look my age. She said that ALL ammo customers have their ID's checked for age at that store! WTH!

Flash

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    About a year ago, I bought some ammunition and the cashier demanded to see my ID to prove that I was 18+. I'm 70+ grey haired and look my age. She said that ALL ammo customers have their ID's checked for age at that store! WTH!

Flash

ROGER4314,

Believe it or not, the last time that I visited my 45YO daughter In North Austin, I "was checked" by the waitress to see if I was old enough to buy a draft beer at a restaurant. = I'm "JUST 73YO".
    (Noemi started giggling at the SILLINESS of such a BRAINLESS, FOOLISH & THOUGHT-FREE company policy.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    ROGER4314,

Believe it or not, the last time that I visited my 45YO daughter In North Austin, I "was checked" by the waitress to see if I was old enough to buy a beer at a restaurant. = I'm "JUST 73YO".
    (Noemi started giggling at the SILLINESS of such a THOUGHT-FREE policy.)

yours, satx
    Probably works at Academy during the day!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Flash
    ROGER4314,

Believe it or not, the last time that I visited my 45YO daughter In North Austin, I "was checked" by the waitress to see if I was old enough to buy a beer at a restaurant. = I'm "JUST 73YO".
    (Noemi started giggling at the SILLINESS of such a THOUGHT-FREE policy.)

yours, satx

Don't be so harsh on the employees. Many times they are just following company policy. Then aren't the only ones doing this. Many times the company does this as a measure of protecting themselves from selling certain products to underage customers. If they check everyone, no one underage can buy certain products, and no one can claim age discrimination of the company. The employee has to follow their company policy, or risk being fired.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Don't be so harsh on the employees. Many times they are just following company policy. Then aren't the only ones doing this. Many times the company does this as a measure of protecting themselves from selling certain products to underage customers. If they check everyone, no one underage can buy certain products, and no one can claim age discrimination of the company. The employee has to follow their company policy, or risk being fired.
    You have a certain reputation around this place, so please stop trying to confuse us by acting all sensible and shit.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Axxe55,

NOBODY is blaming the INDIVIDUAL clerk/waitress BUT it seems to me that there should be at least a LITTLE evidence of "common sense" in all such "company policies".

just my OPINION, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Axxe55,

NOBODY is blaming the INDIVIDUAL clerk/waitress BUT it seems to me that there should be at least a LITTLE evidence of "common sense" in all such "company policies".

just my OPINION, satx
    Axxe55,

just my OPINION, satx

Just remember, "company policies" and "common sense" don't always belong in the same sentence. Many times it's a board and corporate legal teams making these policies.

This also isn't about the company trying to protect their employee, but for their protection against having to pay a fine. In many states, selling certain products to minors, or those under the legal age, the company, or owners get fined as well.

So quite possibly, they came upon the idea that checking EVERYBODY was the best way to avoid getting caught selling certain products to those that were underage the legal age to buy them. Many times, the registers are set up that they can't proceed with a transaction until a date is entered when certain products are scanned for sale.

Personally, I too think it's rather stupid, but it is, what it is.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Just remember, "company policies" and "common sense" don't always belong in the same sentence. Many times it's a board and corporate legal teams making these policies.

This also isn't about the company trying to protect their employee, but for their protection against having to pay a fine. In many states, selling certain products to minors, or those under the legal age, the company, or owners get fined as well.

So quite possibly, they came upon the idea that checking EVERYBODY was the best way to avoid getting caught selling certain products to those that were underage the legal age to buy them. Many times, the registers are set up that they can't proceed with a transaction until a date is entered when certain products are scanned for sale.

Personally, I too think it's rather stupid, but it is, what it is.

Axxe55,

As many of my friends on the forum know, I was once a Deputy US Marshal & worked directly for the PRESIDING US JUDGE for that Judicial District.

Fyi, Not only would have Judge Speer have IMMEDIATELY "dismissed, with prejudice" any case of that sort BUT he would "have ripped some skin off of" any lawyer, who was FOOLISH/CLUELESS enough to bring such a case to the District Court for WASTING the his/court employee's time/public funds with such FOOLISHNESS/NONSENSE.
    (I suspect that any "judge of competent jurisdiction" would have done the same.)

yours, satx

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    Went to Academy this morning. Bought some 9mm at pretty reasonable prices. Their prices have not gone up much since before the current crisis. Don't know who thinks they mark up 300% but I have not seen it.

They do have problems with people entering the store without getting in line for ammo and then try to buy ammo. The store I go to now hands out dated and numbered tickets to people in line before they open the door. You must give your numbered ticket to the guy at the counter before he hands your your ration of 9mm ammo.

I think they are doing an excellent job trying to control the issue of short supply on ammo. Every employee where I go is extremely friendly and helpful.

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    Gamb,

" Don't know who thinks they mark up 300% but I have not seen it. "

They don't, it's those who buy 'from' Academy and then resell it at gun shows and then rationalize that it's a reasonable thing to do.
    Well someone on here accused Academy of marking up 9mm 300%. Total BS !

I talked to one of the guys in there this morning and he says there is a group of people that are there every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to buy at Academy prices who then take it somewhere and resell it at probably 300% markup. But they limit you to 3 boxes of any one caliber and all their 9mm is in 50 round boxes. I'm sure not interested in standing in line for an hour, 3 days a week to scam a few people out of a little bit of money reselling them ammunition. I guess these people are drawing unemployment so they have nothing better to do.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

I talked to one of the guys in there this morning and he says there is a group of people that are there every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to buy at Academy prices who then take it somewhere and resell it at probably 300% markup. But they limit you to 3 boxes of any one caliber and all their 9mm is in 50 round boxes. I'm sure not interested in standing in line for an hour, 3 days a week to scam a few people out of a little bit of money reselling them ammunition. I guess these people are drawing unemployment so they have nothing better to do.
    Wrong. Read post #8 in context.
    "reselling" being the key word.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Nobody here said Academy was marking up ammo at 300%. It was in reference to the customers buying from Academy and reselling at 300%.

And I seriously doubt those on unemployment are spending time and money standing in line at Academy to buy ammo. I would suspect that those drawing unemployment are probably more concerned with putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads, than buying ammo.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Wrong. Read post #8 in context.
    "reselling" being the key word.

Vaquero,

While I have seen ammo of all sorts for sale at SCALPER'S PRICES at gun-shows, I've NOT seen anyone actually BUYING it at those grossly inflated prices.

What I did hear was a LOT of moaning/whining after "the Obama ammo shortage" by vendors, who were STUCK WITH a great deal of ammo that they paid too much for.
    I suspect that AFTER the 2020 election is over that we will hear the same whining/moaning by the same people about having money tied up in ammo that the "gun show vendors" cannot sell.

yours, satx

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    Nobody here said Academy was marking up ammo at 300%. It was in reference to the customers buying from Academy and reselling at 300%.

And I seriously doubt those on unemployment are spending time and money standing in line at Academy to buy ammo. I would suspect that those drawing unemployment are probably more concerned with putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads, than buying ammo.
    Well you can "seriously doubt" anything you want. But that don't make you right and it really would not matter what I said, you would think it was incorrect.

If they are buying ammo at Academy and selling it at 300% markup don't you think that would keep food on the table and a roof over their head maybe ?

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    Vaquero,

While I have seen ammo of all sorts for sale at SCALPER'S PRICES at gun-shows, I've NOT seen anyone actually BUYING it at those grossly inflated prices.

What I did hear was a LOT of moaning/whining after "the Obama ammo shortage" by vendors, who were STUCK WITH a great deal of ammo that they paid too much for.
    I suspect that AFTER the 2020 election is over that we will hear the same whining/moaning by the same people about having money tied up in ammo that the "gun show vendors" cannot sell.

yours, satx

My son-in-law went to a gun show several weeks ago in Ft. Worth and said there was a guy there that had a pallet full of 9mm that he was selling for "close to a dollar a round" and he said people were buying it like crazy !

So were there some real good deals on ammo at gun shows after the "Obama ammo shortage" ?

Top Bottom