Academy limiting ammo purchases

je2000

Feb 26, 2009
Went to buy some Monarch today, the cheapest 7.62x39 in the country right now, as far as I know. Didn't see it on the shelf at Academy...I was pretty dissapointed. Went to go look at the pistol ammo behind the counter, and didn't see much 9mm.

Then I spotted my blue Monarch boxes and got 4. I asked why they were behind the counter when usually rifle ammo is out on the floor. Kid said they want to stop people from buying whole cases at a time. Told him that's pretty awesome. They are doing it with the high demand ammo like 9mm and 7.62x39. As he said that he pulled out 4 boxes of 9mm and put it on the shelf behind him. Said he had cases right at his feet but they were supposed to limit the sales per person. I didn't ask if there was a specific #, or if this was a corporate or local manager decision. Saw plenty of other calibers on the shelf and as always shotgun shells were plentiful.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
It's very smart of them. Selling it is easy. Getting 10 people in the door instead of 1 isn't as easy so they found a way to generate floor traffic. :patriot:

dbgun

TGT Addict
Mar 17, 2008
Houston, TX.
IMHO...I like that policy. I've been looking for some .380 ammo for almost 2 months. This method increases my chances of getting this ammo.....hopefully soon.

D-Day

Mar 8, 2009
San Antonio
In San Antonio at my local store they said more of it was walking out the door than they were selling. That is why they put it behind the counter. Only the more popular rounds as well.

je2000

Feb 26, 2009
In San Antonio at my local store they said more of it was walking out the door than they were selling. That is why they put it behind the counter. Only the more popular rounds as well.
The sales guy also mentioned this as a reason as well. It would be easy to nab a few boxes.

DirtyD

Well-Known
Sep 20, 2008
Spring
SOME (not all) of my local Academy store are limiting to three boxes per caliber..... kinda frustrating since I shoot about 3-700 rounds per week..........

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
SOME (not all) of my local Academy store are limiting to three boxes per caliber..... kinda frustrating since I shoot about 3-700 rounds per week..........
Frustrating, but it's a reason why most people can find any ammo at many localities.

We've been limiting ammo sales to people for the past month, and we still have .380 as a result. Some people have gotten a bit chuffed about it, but I always remind them that they have the opportunity to buy the ammo because we limit it, otherwise they'd get nothing.

It doesn't matter to our bottom end to sell the ammo limitless, but we do it so that everyone can get something at least. We've also kept the prices the same, even though we could easily sell our .380 for twice the price.

DirtyD

Well-Known
Sep 20, 2008
Spring
Trust me, I wasnt complaining, I do understand. I just have to modify the way I shoot for a while until hopefully, the supply catches up with the demand.....

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members