• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I have an ak-p on order from Palmetto and I awoke to an email saying I have to choose a new ffl because Academy doesn't accept ar/ak or braced pistols. I was also informed Saturday when I was in there that the transfer fee was raised to $60.

Buh bye Academy.
    It's been a good run.
    Capitol Armory ad

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    There is an Academy in my town butI never even think about them for anything gun related unless they happen to have a good price on ammo but even then,
    As Baboon just said. When I need some shirts or shoes, I will go there, but that's about it.

I prefer to buy from our local family owned gun shop.
    We have a good one here that is owned by an e LEO and staffed by good people that I would prefer to give my business to.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I used them as my ffl because someone is always there for the fedex man and they're open late which is nice for a working guy. My favorite local gun shop is closed half the week, opens at 11 etc.... Has caused more than one issue with delivery attempts. Guess it's back to the other overpriced local gun shop for my transfers.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Academy has always been anal about gun sales.
    They even run a background check on LTC folks.
    Once I ordered a .22mag bolt rifle from their website. Paid for it too. When it arrived at the store I went to get it. 1.5 HOURS from entering to leaving. Every yahoo in that store had to check, recheck, and check again. This was using the electronic 4473 to boot. Hory Clap. Thought I’d never get out of there.
    I’ve resigned myself to the fact Academy employs the best rocket surgeons and brain scientists available. Just gotta roll with it.
    My local gun pusher still does paper 4473’s. I’m outta there in 10-15 minutes tops.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have bought a few guns from Academy stores in DFW and they never run a check after showing the LTC. They tend to have some cheap crap when it comes to other items, but the prices are right on almost everything but ammo.

Last edited:

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've always did ffl transfers through a LGS never tried Academy.

I've shopped at Academy since I was a kid when they sold surplus stuff back in the 80s. I've thought their prices were always pretty decent... especially compared to Bass Pro, etc.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Fact is many gun shops have gone to high transfer fees, it takes up lot of their time and they are not making a sale.
    Gun ranges that do transfers have gone to high transfer fees for non-members.
    The New norm around my neck of the woods is $75 for transfers.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom