Academy store in Sunset Valley robbed

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by phatcyclist, Nov 29, 2008.

1. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    http://www.statesman.com/news/conte.../1129academy.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=52

Academy store in Sunset Valley robbed

Police: Two armed men wearing ski masks left with an undisclosed amount of money.
    By Miguel Liscano
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, November 29, 2008

An Academy Sports & Outdoors in Sunset Valley was robbed at gunpoint Friday night, police said.

Just before 8:50 p.m. , two armed men wearing ski masks entered the store at 5400 Brodie Lane and demanded money while customers were still inside, officials said.

The men left with an undisclosed amount of cash, officials said, at the end of one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

Austin police Lt. Gary Rosch said at least one round was fired inside the store.

No one was injured, Rosch said.

Rosch said the men left in a black four-door vehicle with a covered license plate.

No detailed description of the men was available.

A representative for the Sunset Valley Police Department, the main agency investigating the incident, was not available for comment Friday night.

The small City of Sunset Valley is surrounded by the City of Austin and has become a hub for dozens of large retailers. The 102,000-square-foot Academy opened in May 2006.

mliscano@statesman.com; 445-3629
    -----------------------------

I used to go to that Academy to pick up ammo all the time, in fact if I still lived in central Austin I would have probably been there last night.

2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Holy crap! That's strange. I was going to that Academy on Friday night, and close to that time. I ended up going to the I35/William Cannon Academy instead since it was closer. Freaky! :eek:

3. djspump2003

djspump2003 Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    Saw that story on the news last night.

Interesting that no one in an Academy had a CHL and was armed.

I'm also interested to learn the rest of the details - how they were armed and all of that jazz. I bet they made off with a bunch of cash after a sales day like yesterday.

4. MiTX

MiTX Member TGT Supporter

Nov 8, 2008
    Austin
    Wow!
    My daughter and I were headed there last night, but ended up going to the Wm. Cannon store!

5. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I doubt there are too many businesses, especially that employee young kids, that would support employees carrying a firearm at work. Even adult managers. You can bet they have policies in place for what to do, with keeping people safe as the primary concern. Insurance takes care of lost "things" or cash, not people.

But this topic has been beaten to death already. :happy0001:

What surprises me is how big of balls these people have to walk into such a big store to rob them. A space that big can't be controlled easily. You know they had a plan or help inside.

6. sv6er

sv6er Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I think he meant anyone, including customers.

It's possible that there was a CHL holder inside and packing heat who chose not to escalate the situation. In some circumstances, it really is smarter to let the bad guys get away than to get into a gunfight with them.

7. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Yep,just give the bad guy's what they want.If they start shooting people for no reason then it's time to step up and defend them.

8. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Good point. I was thinking employee's.

9. Texasgordo

Texasgordo TGT Addict

May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas

Do they sell firearms at this location? :devil: It has been a few years since I have been there. I can't remember if they do.:gotme:

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yes, they have a decent selection of them as well.