• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I knew the first part. Interesting. I wonder what percent of a major depts budget is for training?

Id imagine most of it is for pay/benefits, cars/fuel and insurance.

Houston PD has a $666 million budget. 90% of that goes towards personell costs according to an assistant chief that I spoke with. Essentially the department operates on about 66 million a year.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Been following this thread and one thing keeps coming to mind.

If the officers aren't checking the chamber, why would they use the clearing rod or check an ammo tray?

It does seen strange to me for them to have the whole "look twice" rule. If they ain't gonna see it the first time, they probably aren't looking very close and won't bother with the second look anyways cause they think they are OK. Sounds like a "feel good" rule so they can say they are doubley safe but really does little or nothing in practice.

I feel like the answer to the problem is more hands on training an familiarity with the shotguns. I also understand that training is expensive just for the cost in man hours of the officers, plus ammo, instructor, training location, etc.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    No, the fallacy is with people who have no idea what is involved trying to judge actions of those who do.

Sorry if I came across as hostile.
    The judgement of "stop accidentally shooting shit with shotguns" seems entirely appropriate, and doesn't seem to require any expertise in law enforcement.

I agree that the average poster on TGT shouldn't be proposing new P&P to prevent this, but I stand by my point.

It doesn't take an expert, a LEO, or anyone else to make the judgement that something is wrong with the way Austin police are handling their weapons.

I'd be interested to see a comparison with other major cities rates as well.

Top Bottom