• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    That's the truth. The reality is if you can't drive the rifle, you are better off spending all that money on bullets and shooting more. It was an eye opening experience to go shoot with some pros and realize that there were no issues with anything but me. They could take my rifle and make a jagged hole at 300 yards, and I was shooting a 2.5 inch group with it. It's all technique and repetition. So i stopped buying gear and bought bullets. Lots of them. And now I shoot way better.

On a side note do you think an AI holds it value better than a full custom by GAP?
    If you sell your GAP on snipershide it retains value very well. Id say guys seem to lose less than a grand on rifle that have quite a few rounds down the tube.

Another point I'd say is not to waste yoyr money on any expensive rifle to shoot precision with unless you reload.
    I'm not sure that the link would be a fair comparison. Most guys are running calibers the AI doesn't come in and in packages that are a little lighter. The other factor is GAP and Surgeon sponsor several shooters competing.
    Are you smoking crack? 6.5CM and 308 are the most popular calibers, both of which AI sells. AIs are barely any heavier than a rifle with a regular manners stock. People dont use AI because there are better rifles for less money, period. GAP and Surgeon wouldnt have the market share they do if they didnt shoot great.
    Target Sports

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The 6.5 does do well but how many 308 's place in the top 10 frequently. The 6mm bore's are the main players in the game. As far as weight goes I bet they are at least a pound heavier. Most guys are running light palma contour and not running the heavy fill stocks from either of the Big M companies in the game.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The 6.5 does do well but how many 308 's place in the top 10 frequently. The 6mm bore's are the main players in the game. As far as weight goes I bet they are at least a pound heavier. Most guys are running light palma contour and not running the heavy fill stocks from either of the Big M companies in the game.
    Yes the 6mm has come on strong in the last couple years especially with George bringing the 6CM out. Cheap(ish) brass and one pass through the die to get a hot cartridge aint bad. I was also speaking more in reference to local shooters, the sponsored guns can afford to run the more barrel burner 6mm cartridges. With Manners bringing out the 90% carbon fiber fill you can get a conventional type rifle on down pretty light for sure. My point was more that the AI doesn't have that big of a weight disadvantage over a lot of the rifles used. Hell look at the video from the GAP Grind, none of those rifles were exactly featherweights, many were in fairly heavy chassis.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Whatever happened to "heavy is steady"?

Seems like weight would t be a big factor in competition shooting.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was thinking bench rest. Guess I shoulda read the thread better but mostly saw "expensive, expensive, expensive", lol.

Gopher711

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tactical comps aren't about tiny groups, its about hitting a target period and moving to the next. You want light so its easier to throw around. Watch this video and you will see
    2013 GAP Grind - YouTube
    With 10 rd mag pushing close to 20#
    8b012ad09a4716bf42fb2fed90765802.jpg

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Yes the 6mm has come on strong in the last couple years especially with George bringing the 6CM out. Cheap(ish) brass and one pass through the die to get a hot cartridge aint bad. I was also speaking more in reference to local shooters, the sponsored guns can afford to run the more barrel burner 6mm cartridges. With Manners bringing out the 90% carbon fiber fill you can get a conventional type rifle on down pretty light for sure. My point was more that the AI doesn't have that big of a weight disadvantage over a lot of the rifles used. Hell look at the video from the GAP Grind, none of those rifles were exactly featherweights, many were in fairly heavy chassis.

I was more referring to info from the link posted as far as caliber goes. The weight to me isn't a downfall of the AICS as much as the feel is. I couldn't get comfortable behind one personally.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I was more referring to info from the link posted as far as caliber goes. The weight to me isn't a downfall of the AICS as much as the feel is. I couldn't get comfortable behind one personally.
    Its no secret 6mm is becoming the favorite caliber for straight competition but that's about all its good for. Its not good for 1K+ shots, and its no good for anything but varmint hunting unless youre real close in. Yes you can do all of that with a 6mm but 6.5+ is much better for an all around competition and real world gun.

The thumbhole on the AICS is at a weird angle and big in diameter. I like the AIAX chassis much better but prefer a Manners with adjustable cheek rest over any of the chassis options.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle

From an inherent accuracy standpoint its awesome. Now take that same rifle out into the field with wind and shooting steel. Try spotting splash or getting your wind dope right with gusting winds. Plenty of bench rest guys have shot sub moa groups at a K with 308s before but that doesnt mean its even close to being a good choice for supreme accuracy in the field. Theres a reason many of the long range schools dont recommend shooting 6mm. Its not because its not an accurate cartridge, its because those little 105-115gr bullets have no ass at that distance to register hits or misses on out there.

Top Bottom