• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tactic-als

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Whitesboro
    Anyone in the DFW area running an actual AI rifle and not just some barreled action in an AI Chassis?

Interested to hear what your thoughts are if you still have it or what made you sell it?
    Guns International

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I am very much wanting to get into long range shooting and AI is def considered cream of the crop. If you find some info, please share. 2014 should see me buying a custom long range stick.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Same. I've been thinking of getting one of the 'budget' AE Mk III guns.

Only real info I've got so far is to pay a few extra hundred and spring for the folding stock versions. Or you'll have a harder time getting the bolt out to clean it due to the design of the cheek rest.

All everyone else says is they are accurate, rugged, and ready for war straight out of the box.

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    You will likely get more and better information about AI and other custom sticks on Sniper's Hide.

Personally, I have made several runs at long range shooting and found I just wasn't that interested in it after buying expensive rigs. Based on my own experience, and YMMV, I recommend you tread lightly at first instead of going whole hog on equipment to make sure this is a sport you really want to do. If you can shoot somebody else's rig for a bit first, that would be ideal.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Anyone in the DFW area running an actual AI rifle...?
    These guys: Tac Pro Shooting Center - The future of firearms training are a bit over an hour away from the DFW area. They know AI rifles. If you're serious about AI rifles, a trip out there seems like a no-brainer. Call ahead and make some arrangements; you want to get there when Bill has time to talk and isn't in the middle of teaching a class. Ask if they have a rental you can test drive.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Yeah. Definitely see if you can try someone else's or a rental. The ergonomics are a bit different from more traditional stocks. Some folks just don't like the way they feel.

I used to have a Remington 700 in an AICS so I know it won't be an issue but other ppl just can't get used to them.

Does TacPro have a pricelist anywhere? The one I'm looking at is ~$3700 from EuroOptic. Wouldn't complain if TacPro has them for less.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Does TacPro have a pricelist anywhere?

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Here's their AI price list, cut 'n pasted from their site:

Accuracy International Rifles and AICS Chassis Systems

Accuracy International Rifles

The World's Most Effective Sniper Rifle Systems
    Call for pricing .
    AW04V3.jpg

Tac Pro Shooting Center is the largest authorized stocking dealer of Accuracy International Rifles, Chassis Systems, and Accuracy International accessories. Built on one of the most rugged and reliable chassis available, Tac Pro Shooting Center is proud to offer these exceptional rifles.

Accuracy International Rifle Packages
    Accuracy International AE Accuracy Enforcement - .308
    24" plain bbl - Base Price $CALL -specs
    Includes: user manual, one five round magazine, set of spacers and Harris Bipod adaptor.
    AE Options
    Adj. Cheek piece
    Folding stock with adjustable cheek piece
    Accuracy International AW .243 - specs
    24" or 26" plain bbl - Base Price* $CALL
    Accuracy International AW .308 - specs
    20" or 24” plain bbl - *Base Price $CALL
    20" plain bbl + std muzzle brake - *Base Price $CALL
    20" plain bbl + tactical muzzle brake - *Base Price $CALL
    20" fluted bbl - *Base Price $CALL
    26" plain bbl + std muzzle brake - *Base Price $CALL
    26" plain bbl + tactical muzzle brake - *Base Price $CALL
    Accuracy International AWM .300 Win Mag - specs
    26" fluted bbl + std muzzle brake - *Base Price $CALL
    26" fluted bbl + tactical muzzle brake - *Base Price $CALL
    Accuracy International AWM .338 Lapua Magnum - specs
    27" fluted bbl + std muzzle brake - *Base Price $CALL
    27" fluted bbl + tactical muzzle brake - *Base Price $CALL
    *AW/AWM Base Price includes:
    Fixed stock
    Fixed cheek piece
    Fixed butt pad with additional spacers
    1 magazine
    Harris bipod adaptor
    User manual
    AW/AWM Options: (available at time of order/manufacture. No retrofits.)
    CALL for Pricing
    AI Picatinny Rail
    Adj. Butt Pad
    Adj. Cheek piece
    Folding Stock & Adj. Cheek Piece
    Folding Stock & Quick Adj. Cheek piece
    Folding Stock & Quick Adj. Cheek piece & Quick Adj. Butt Pad
    Forend Rail
    NSV 80 Rail
    AI Butt Spike

AI Bipod (accessory)
    Storm fitted case (accessory)
    Click here for more Accuracy International Accessories (PDF)

Accuracy International AW50 AI .50 cal - specs
    27" fluted bbl + std muzzle brake - $CALL
    Includes: AI bipod + mount, Picatinny rail, 1 magazine and fitted case.

Accuracy International AICS Chassis System. - Provides a tactical stock, magazine feed and improves accuracy for any user of the Remington 700. - specs

SHORT ACTION (e.g. .308) Available in tan, green or black.
    Stage 1.5 = Fully adjustable - $CALL
    Stage 2 = Fully adjustable + folding stock - $CALL

LONG ACTION (e.g. .300 win mag) Available in tan, green or black.
    Stage 1.5 = Fully adjustable - $CALL
    Stage 2 = Fully adjustable + folding stock - $CALL

Texas residents must add 6.75% sales tax.
    About Accuracy International
    Accuracy International was formed in 1978 to design and build tactical rifles. The original ethos combined two factors into an unique package: namely the incorporation of performance enhancing features learned in Olympic and international target shooting onto a rifle platform exhibiting full military ruggedness.
    The current designs faithfully follow this original concept but also benefit from 20 years of continuous improvement. These improvements are not cosmetic but are driven solely by the needs of the users, highly trained military and police units in over 50 countries world-wide. Such units are exposed to 'live' tactical situations on a daily basis and in the most demanding environments where first shot accuracy is critical.
    All components are manufactured to Accuracy International designs to ensure that they are optimized for the function they must perform, something that cannot be achieved with a ruggedised sporting weapon. Products are produced under a management system accredited to BS EN ISO 9001: 2000.

rubberdown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Mile high shooting is who I have dealt with for all my AI stuff. Great pricing and customer service. I will say I went from an AI to a custom built rig by GAP and haven't looked back, and came out a little ahead on money. Just my 2 cents.

Gopher711

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can usually find one floating around the SH forums in the for sale thread , another option if your just strictly out for accuracy would be a custom build from someone like Robert Gradious or GAP that will put you around the 4k price range. Then there is the option of just getting a barreled action and dropping it in the AICS chassis I was looking at a GAP crusader action guaranteed 3/8 moa brand New and it was around $1700 that I thought about dropping in my chassis before I sold it

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Oh I just read a thread on SH that said Accuracy International was discontinuing the AE series. Apparently they will have something new to show off at the upcoming SHOT Show.

May as well just wait and see what they got in the works. Unless all the dealers plan on blowing out the remaining stock at super discounted prices... :evil:

Last edited:

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    If anyone is interested Mile High Shooting is clearing out there current AW AE and AX inventory to make way for the new 2014 AI rifles at really good prices....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Anyone in the DFW area running an actual AI rifle and not just some barreled action in an AI Chassis?

Interested to hear what your thoughts are if you still have it or what made you sell it?

I have VERY limited experience in this area, and I've only shot 1 AI (AE MKII .308 from Mile High we did a review on awhile back), so please take my words with a grain. These are the things I noticed about that one particular gun:

-Consistent accuracy: I forget how many rounds we put through it, but through a variety of ammo and ammo weights (I believe 168's and 175's were what we shot mostly), and firing for long periods of time without any "cool down", the gun maintained a good level of consistent accuracy. For groups, I couldn't tell you specifically what kind of group it maintained, as we weren't really shooting for groups. For example, though, shooting at 500yds was ridiculously easy. With relatively minimal crosswind, fundamentals could be complete crap, no breath control, etc. and it was not hard hitting a ~18" steel plate (I might be a bit off on the size, but couldn't be much bigger than that).

-Action: I was actually a bit surprised with the action. Personally, I like a smooth action, so I'm generally a fan of guns like Tikka's, Sako's, and some other high-end manufacturers or custom builders like Surgeon. I found the MKII's action, at least with that particular gun, to be fairly rough and gritty as well as requiring a significant amount of force to operate. I liken it to driving a sports car with a manly unsprung clutch. Not unmanageable, you just can't baby it. Like I said, could have just been that gun, I'm not sure. I've shot a number of other mid-range to high end bolt guns like Sako TRG's, Sig SSG-3000, Surgeon Scalpel, etc. and found a number of them to have much smoother and lighter to operate actions.

If you want an AI specifically, I'm sure nothing else is going to satisfy you. If a nice, high-end bolt gun is what you're mainly after, although there are many excellent choices, personally if it was my hard earned money I keep coming back to a Sako TRG if I was buying one for myself. I'm not an expert on precision rifles, but $2.5-3k for a gun that will put out the same or similar performance to what many $4k+ custom shop guns will do, or will run with an AI just fine, seems like a bargain to me. Spend the difference on a nice bipod like from Atlas, and solid mounting hardware. You can also get the factory folding stock TRG for not too much more (usually ~$3-3.5k last I checked, but I might be a bit low).

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I agree with you Sig, I've never shot a TRG before, but my local gun shop is big into AI and man do I love em. I don't know if I will ever own one as I like to build my rifles off of Rem actions or custom actions, but I will always lust after them.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Most overrated, expensive rifle out there. For over a grand less you can get a fully outfitted GAP, SAC, name your top shelf smith rifle that shoots just as good if not better. Unless you just want it for the looks, I don't understand the allure of the AI. Kinda like the Schmidt and Bender scopes these days, once upon a time they were top tier, now days other scope manufacturers have better scopes with much better warranties. Look how many people run AIs at the tactical competitions, then how many run GAPs and other top tier smiths. AI is in the very small minority.

rubberdown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    I don't know that I would say the most over rated gun out there by any means. They are super accurate, on par with the highest end of custom builds. I shoot no better with my gap. For an off the shelf mass produced (sot of) gun that isn't bad at all. I will say I paid a little less but not much. I wanted a little smoother action, and I got a little smoother action. That's about it. I don't regret switching, but to say the AI is a bad or overrated product is not true.

Gopher711

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is the intent ? Investment ? or are you gonna shoot competitions ? are you going to be crawling thru mud / sand /snow , etc ?? with this gun ...how good are YOUR rifle skills ? brother in law of mine has one AIAW .308 NF NXS scoped , side by side my 700LTR GAP Trued action in a AICS chassis same scope setup will shoot just as good if not better out to 500yds ..in a skilled Snipers hands his AI should outshoot mine if all things equal ?? but for that small a varible I got less than $3000 in my LTR and he's got $6K+ in his AI less optics and options ....as stated earlier if this is going to be used for hunting and occasional paper punching I'd spend my money on a Custom Build
    Mine does this at 200yds for less than 3k and Im no professional shooter by no means !
    105f5636de4d395431bc269f6e4eb472.jpg

SOliver

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Spring
    As mentioned above, go with another manufacturer (Such as GAP or Surgeon) or a reputable R700 gunsmith and have a gun built exactly to your specs and preferences instead of overpaying for an actual AI. I'm a huge fan of the feel and look of the AI stocks as well so I had Aaron Roberts of Robert's Precision Rifles here in Houston build me a 6.5 Creedmoor on an AICS. However if you still want to overpay by thousands and get something lesser or equal quality at best, look what the top 50 shooters in the Precision Rifle Series finale shot: Best Gunsmiths ? What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

If at this point you still want an Accuracy International rifle, go for it. Not my money you're spending.

rubberdown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    That's the truth. The reality is if you can't drive the rifle, you are better off spending all that money on bullets and shooting more. It was an eye opening experience to go shoot with some pros and realize that there were no issues with anything but me. They could take my rifle and make a jagged hole at 300 yards, and I was shooting a 2.5 inch group with it. It's all technique and repetition. So i stopped buying gear and bought bullets. Lots of them. And now I shoot way better.

On a side note do you think an AI holds it value better than a full custom by GAP?

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    As mentioned above, go with another manufacturer (Such as GAP or Surgeon) or a reputable R700 gunsmith and have a gun built exactly to your specs and preferences instead of overpaying for an actual AI. I'm a huge fan of the feel and look of the AI stocks as well so I had Aaron Roberts of Robert's Precision Rifles here in Houston build me a 6.5 Creedmoor on an AICS. However if you still want to overpay by thousands and get something lesser or equal quality at best, look what the top 50 shooters in the Precision Rifle Series finale shot: Best Gunsmiths ? What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

If at this point you still want an Accuracy International rifle, go for it. Not my money you're spending.

I'm not sure that the link would be a fair comparison. Most guys are running calibers the AI doesn't come in and in packages that are a little lighter. The other factor is GAP and Surgeon sponsor several shooters competing.

Top Bottom