• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    1/10mil is .36” at 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you mean 1/10mil is .36 at 100 METERS that would make intelligible the ACOG calibration quite precisely.

ACOG: seeing it, one click, is .333 inches at 100 yards
    and it's .36 (0.333 x 1.09) inches at 100 meters.

Metric system, tool of the devil!!!
    Damn you, Jimmy Carter.

Truth be known, .33 and .36 is a meaningless difference given the coarseness of the tip of that chevron, in any case.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    View attachment 149074

I wasn’t a fan of that configuration, but didn’t have a choice.

Acog plus RMR?

You were issued and carried it in a life or death situation so you get my resect.
    What did you not like about it?
    I have one rifle set up like that and I've always thought, were I to carry it 24/7 and stake my life on it it'd be great.
    No?

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Acog plus RMR?

You were issued and carried it in a life or death situation so you get my resect.
    What did you not like about it?
    I have one rifle set up like that and I've always thought, were I to carry it 24/7 and stake my life on it it'd be great.
    No?

It’s a great combo by itself. We also had PEQ-15s as part of the standard configuration too, so the MRDS was overkill in my opinion.

Our mission set was Terminal Attack Control for Close Air Support missions. I spent more time prone using the PEQ-15 to illuminate things for aircrew.

In that mission set, the MRDO was just one more thing to get in the way or break and have to do paperwork on it. In the shoothouse, it could be useful though.

ETA: once you hang a bunch of crap on the gun and helmet it gets cumbersome.

c7fb98e209653a2f0f2f638dc22ad765.jpg

Vs

c2019772714e153aabe35a9190cbfb53.jpg

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you mean 1/10mil is .36 at 100 METERS that would make intelligible the ACOG calibration quite precisely.

ACOG: seeing it, one click, is .333 inches at 100 yards
    and it's .36 (0.333 x 1.09) inches at 100 meters.

Metric system, tool of the devil!!!
    Damn you, Jimmy.

I didn’t. 1/10 mil is .36” at 100 YARDS. It’s 1 centimeter at 100 meters.

I only point out the mil relation because it is the likely inspiration for the 1/3” adjustment. Maybe due to military marksmen being familiar with the mil system and still something an average soldier will understand. Maybe I’m totally incorrect.

FWIW, I detest the metric system but own both moa and mil scopes and over time have come to the conclusion I prefer a mil/mil reticle-turret setup over moa.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    On another rifle, I have the RMR on a 45 degree mount with a conventional 3x9 scope.

For the ACOG, I don't think I need an RMR.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I didn’t. 1/10 mil is .36” at 100 YARDS. It’s 1 centimeter at 100 meters.

I only point out the mil relation because it is the likely inspiration for the 1/3” adjustment. Maybe due to military marksmen being familiar with the mil system and still something an average soldier will understand. Maybe I’m totally incorrect.

FWIW, I detest the metric system but own both moa and mil scopes and over time have come to the conclusion I prefer a mil/mil reticle-turret setup over moa.

Since we are discussing it and just to clarify, Mil and Metric are not related. No more than inches and Mil are anyways.

Does the math work out close enough for any shooting we are going to do? Definitely.

But you can hate Metric and like Mils and not be a hypocrite.

wileycoyote

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Haskell County in West Texas
    I have some experience, as ACOGs are great. You get what you pay for.

The donut circle reticle is great for very fast acquisition.
    The standard TA01 crosshair/rangefinder is my favorite for accurate deliberate shooting or hunting.
    Pricy yet sublime......consider the ACOG/RMR combo for both eyes open immediate acquisition.

The Bindon thing?
    I'm thinking it requires some re-training of our optical cortex.
    I've tried it. I think it could become natural were I looking through an ACOG every day like our servicemen do. For the occasional weekend outing I can't seem to embrace it.

i concur, well said.

having owned endless models/brands of scopes in all price ranges, i've sold everything and have gone to ACOG for all my magnified optics (except on traditional hunting rifles, because of aesthetics).

and like HKShooter65, i tend to prefer the TA01 with full red crosshairs designed of up to 800yd ranging. they work great at even long ranges, and do so quickly and easily. for me the chevon and horseshoe models are better suited for closer distances.

i've had models with the top mounted RMR but wasn't fond of how high the red dot sat up.

BAC (bindon aiming concept) doesn't work for me, particularly with the higher magnification models but with 1-to-2x models it might for some folks.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    and like HKShooter65, i tend to prefer the TA01 with full red crosshairs designed of up to 800yd ranging.

i've had models with the top mounted RMR but wasn't fond of how high the red dot sat up.

BAC (bindon aiming concept) doesn't work for me, particularly with the higher magnification models but with 1-to-2x models it might for some folks.

Several good comments.

ACOGs are just superlative quality.

If you want 0.5 or 1 MOA buy a much higher power scope.
    If you want hunting accuracy to 200 yards (most TX hunting) the ACOGs are great.

I do have one top-mounted RMR and agree that it's a just-because-you-can device for me. At it's practical range you would use an instinct-point or use the ACOG. Cool but spend that money elsewhere.

Bindon aiming with both eyes open with my lovely and excellent little 1.5x24 ACOG mini that I have on a 9mm carbine....well....seeing two different images with my 53 year old eyes just does bad things to my optical cortex. It does not work and the fact that I am strongly left eye dominant does not help one bit. Maybe if I did it every day?

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Had one well I was in the Marines. Got one horse trading with some buddies, sold it a few years later because something else shiny caught my attention. Wonderful glass, wonderful reticle, wonderful customer service if you ever need it. You will want to figure out a way to cover the fiber optic tub if you are out using the optic in full light. It will cause the reticle to bloom like crazy. I have used gaffers tape to great effect over the years. The 3.5x magnificent scope has been my favorite, it has the best eye box.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I own an ACOG. Money well spent. Purchased it through the PX they had on sale for 600.00. Had the Bible Verse on it.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Now that I'm no longer working an ACOG is out of the picture. I did buy an Elcan Specter DR that I think is totally badass.

You must have found a great deal.
    I want a SpecterDR but they are way more expensive than my ACOG!
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/specterdr

$1,750 for the 1-4
    $2,300 for the 1.5-6

Keep wanting to find one used like the, far more plentiful, ACOGs I've found for $5-600

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You must have found a great deal.
    I want a SpecterDR but they are way more expensive than my ACOG!
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/specterdr

$1,750 for the 1-4
    $2,300 for the 1.5-6

Keep wanting to find one used like the, far more plentiful, ACOGs I've found for $5-600
    IIRC I got 1.5X 6 for less then the 1-4 power you have listed, but I have had it for years.
    IMG_3775.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3775.JPG
      IMG_3775.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 523
    Top Bottom