• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stilettosixshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    I'm a student at UT Law, and I am in favor of CC on campuses. We had an incident sometime last year with a masked man that was mugging students at all hours with a gun to their face on campus. The administration's solution was to lock all the law school doors but one (ah, never figured out which one) and post an armed, uniformed officer somewhere nearby (the likes of which I never saw).

Needless to say, the muggings continued (2 or 3 of the 3-4 total occurred after the safety measures were in place, if I remember correctly - open to correction on that point), and I did not feel any safer.

Granted, getting mugged is different than being a sitting duck in a classroom if a crazed gunmen bursts in (I would probably not pull a CCW on a mugger unless I get some training on how to handle that situation), but it made me very aware of how nuts it is to have a campus full of students who are walking targets for those who might wish to do unlawful harm. Many people view the issue through the lens of "Could a CC individual have prevented this incident?" rather than "Does a student in that unlucky classroom have the right to stop it from happening to THEM by having a CCW?"

As for getting shot at by police, I have a feeling they are trained to recognize the difference between a single shooter and a gunfight. If other students on the phone have not alerted to the fact that I plan to shoot back at a murderer, I plan to communicate it to them as loudly as possible myself until I can get my gun holstered again.

-100,000,000 for the poor-taste bonfire joke, whatever was meant by it. This Aggie doesn't approve.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    -100,000,000 for the poor-taste bonfire joke, whatever was meant by it. This Aggie doesn't approve.

You're not alone. Some people have absolute lack of reasonable judgment and think they're funny, maybe cool, by making cracks about things that are far from funny. It didn't make any sense at all, but it was still inappropriate.

You don't have to be an Aggie to disapprove, just a reasonable person.

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Central Texas, Williamson County
    If I see something I don't like I do not read it, try it sometime. The hypocracy on this board is insane, it is fine to ridicule a student that lost a loved one at Virginia Tech but ridicule one of you and it sucks. The point is not to be "cool" but to make a point, I do not want someone with whopping 10 hours of training carrying his gun in the same classroom as one of my daughters.

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    I do not want someone with whopping 10 hours of training carrying his gun in the same classroom as one of my daughters.

I see no difference between someone carrying a gun into a classroom and that same person carrying a gun into a restaurant or a mall.

What it comes down to is the idea that the environment of a college campus is different in some way to every other place in the state. I am sincerely curious to know what the difference is.

If you're (I mean the collective YOU, not particularly you whit128) for CC, great! If you're (see previous) against CC, OK. It's the fence ridding that I don't understand.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If I see something I don't like I do not read it, try it sometime. The hypocracy on this board is insane, it is fine to ridicule a student that lost a loved one at Virginia Tech but ridicule one of you and it sucks. The point is not to be "cool" but to make a point, I do not want someone with whopping 10 hours of training carrying his gun in the same classroom as one of my daughters.

Your rude and obnoxious comment about A&M nearly have you on ignore for me, but for now I'll ask you this.

Why do you not want someone with 10 hours of training carrying a gun with your daughter in the classroom?

How many hours of training do the people who operate 2 ton missles we call cars have that she rides with?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

What the hell are you talking about? What does the bonfire tragedy, or a nonsensical comment making light of it, have to do with a CHL or CHL class or one of your daughters? And what what VT student are you talking about being ridiculed that's related to this thread?

BTW, are you opposed to concealed carry of civilians? The "10 hours of training" comment is awfully odd for someone that's a member of a forum like this. The 10 hour class, is all that's required by the state for "anyone" to get a license to carry a concealed handgun. But how do you know that 10 hours of class time is the only "training" or experience someone has?

Maybe I'm missing something??

stilettosixshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    ...it is fine to ridicule a student that lost a loved one at Virginia Tech but ridicule one of you and it sucks.

I would never. I watched that whole incident unfold with tears in my eyes. It is not a joke to me, and I think most people here feel the same. I haven't seen anyone crack that kind of joke - please let me know if I am wrong.

I do not want someone with whopping 10 hours of training carrying his gun in the same classroom as one of my daughters.

The point is, someone may barge in a classroom unlawfully and start picking people off. I have a feeling if any of us are in that situation, we would be glad if even a novice has a CCW and is willing to stop the violence. You are entitled to your opinion otherwise, but I am curious to know why having a CCW in a classroom makes you uncomfortable.

CC individual are five times less likely than the average citizen to commit a crime, and college campuses are no more dangerous/crowded for CCWs than the grocery store. Like someone else above pointed out, if you are opposed to any CC, then that makes sense that you don't want CC on campus. But if you are only opposed to CC on campus, I'd love to know and understand why you think students should not be able to CC there when they can carry anywhere else.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I am a parent of four young children (3, 5, 7 and 8). We currently homeschool and so this is not necessarily an issue that personally affects me or mine. However, I can say without a doubt, that if my children were enrolled in a public school, I hope...no, I pray that the staff would be armed and could put any attacker down before they harm mine or anyone else's kids. And as far as when they go to college...(need to figure out how to homeschool that too...j/k) I hope that my kids will be able to CC and defend themselves or others if need be, instead of having to line up in a shooting gallery because legislation disarmed them. As far as I can see, there is NO difference between a school and a shopping center. No, I take that back...there is a difference. The gunmen KNOW that the students are disarmed and therefore are easy targets, where at a shopping center the BG isn't sure who is carrying. While I do not currently have a CHL yet, I have already stopped going into shops that post a 30.06 sign unless they are the only shop that carries what I need (haven't run in to that problem yet...lol), because it least I have the hope that someon is armed and can stop something that may happen. Furthermore, if studies prove that states with CC and OC have lowered crime rates, doesn't it stand to reason that we could lower campus crime as well and keep our children safe. Sorry if it's a little disjointed, tired and rambling...

Brewgod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    I'm a staffer at SFA and have a CHL. I often get call outs in the middle of the night and wish I could carry. Had a nasty termination to do last week and am a little concerned. We also had a mass death threat a little over a week ago...

but I guess we're just "Gun toting wannabe's".

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008

Just a question for you - do you know how many hours the police train with their firearm a year? Do you know how many duty rounds a police officer is required to fire per year? You may want to check that out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    Urgent Action Items

May 11th is the deadline for bills to pass their body of origin! In other words, any House bill that doesn't pass the House by May 11th is dead, and the same with Senate bills in the Senate. We have three urgent action items that must be addressed ASAP.

1. We need telephone calls, faxed and yes, even emails (but not just emails) to the following Representatives who have removed their names as co-authors of HB1893 (Campus-Carry):

Dwayne Bohac Texas Legislature Online - 81st Legislature - Information for Rep. Dwayne Bohac
    Joe Heflin Texas Legislature Online - 81st Legislature - Information for Rep. Joe Heflin
    Particia Harless Texas Legislature Online - 81st Legislature - Information for Rep. Patricia Harless

As always, be polite but at the same time be sure to let them know you are very disappointed to see them withdraw their public support. PLEASE call and fax; emails are a bonus.

2. Also, please call every member of the House Calendars committee and ask them to set HB1893 for debate on the House floor. It has 75 co-authors and denying a debate would be a travesty. House Calendars Committee

3. Please call and fax every member of the Senate State Affairs Committee and ask them to vote on SB1164 by Wentworth (Campus-carry)! Be sure to tell Chairman Duncan's office you want a vote. Also thank Senator Deuell for his very strong support of SB1164 during public hearings.

Please respond to this request ASAP and ask your friends and family to do so as well.

Thanks,
    Chas.

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Central Texas, Williamson County
    Just a question for you - do you know how many hours the police train with their firearm a year? Do you know how many duty rounds a police officer is required to fire per year? You may want to check that out.

Very familiar!
    State requirements or department requirements? Are you asking about qualification or training? As we have our own range my guys shoot weekly (as ammo permits).

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    stilettosixshooter- I am also a student at UT. The masked gunman you are talking about only targeted Asians, but I do indeed remember the panic that this caused.

Also, there was recently a university wide publicized debate about HB1893. The "Young Democrats" spokeperson said, as I quote from the Daily Texan, "The University should be able to say that students are not responsible for their own safety while on campus".

As to whit128: Don't worry, your daughter is in safe hands. I'm not going to beat a dead horse and give you all the statistics of a CHL holders lessened propensity to commit crime. As your quote says (which you obviously don't full heartedly endorse), It's better to live one day as a lion than a hundred as a sheep.

stilettosixshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The masked gunman you are talking about only targeted Asians

Yep, that was the pattern the police announced - but we surmised that it could've been coincidental. There weren't more than 4 or 5 total incidents, and UT Austin has a pretty substantial Asian population. Although specific race targeting was certainly possible, I didn't want to be the exception (I am not Asian, but frequented the areas where the incidents happened). :)

stilettosixshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The University should be able to say that students are not responsible for their own safety while on campus.

Yipe! I'm stunned that someone would really be comfortable with that proposition. I barely trust UT with my social security number, much less my safety.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I was not thinking about A&M, you all can have guns but we will hide the rubberbands. I would be more afraid of log piles that gunmen, you guys should be allwed to carry concealed D9 Caterpillars.

That was an unfortunate event and many good kids lost their lives along with a long lived tradition. If you'd like to remain on this forum I suggest you develop some respect. There is absolutely no reason for that comment.

Besides, I'm willing to bet I could out-shoot 95% of the cops that you trust to save your daughter's life in that same school. I'm also willing to bet that I could put myself in a MUCH more favorable position than that uniformed police officer.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Very familiar!
    State requirements or department requirements? Are you asking about qualification or training? As we have our own range my guys shoot weekly (as ammo permits).

State requires something around 20-25 rounds biannually, about 5 of which have to be duty rounds, last I recall. Department requirements vary greatly, because a lot of times, these officers are spending ammo on their own dime. Or, as you put it, as ammo permits. Most officers I know put a great deal more ammo downrange, but so do the CHL holders I know.

The claim that CHL holders have ten hours of training is as broadly ridiculous as the claim that TX peace officers only have X amount of training per year. I won't divulge what my job is, but I deal with TX peace officers from all over the state daily. I feel supremely confident that I put more rounds downrange per year than all but a small percentage of them. That's partly because I can afford ammunition, but it's also due in part to the state requirements.

Top Bottom