• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    HB 1893, the Campus Security Act (a/k/a campus-carry) was voted favorably from the House Public Safety Committee on 5-3 vote. Voting "yes" were Chairman Merritt, Vice-chairman Frost and Representatives Driver (Bill Author), King and Lewis. Voting "no" were Representatives Burnam, Mallory-Caraway and Rodriquez. Representative Hubert Vo "walked" on the vote. Please contact those voting "yes" and thank them for their support. House Members.

Now HB1893 moves to the House Calendars Committee. This committee decides when, and IF, the bill will come to the floor for a vote by the full House of Representatives. Please call, fax and email members of the House Calendars Committee and urge them to set HB 1893 on the House Calendar for a vote! Yeah, I know I usually discourage emails, but not on this issue. Nevertheless, calls and faxes are much more effective.

Calendars Committee Members.

Thanks,
    Chas.
    Hurley's Gold

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Please contact those voting "yes" and thank them for their support. House Members.

Please call, fax and email members of the House Calendars Committee and urge them to set HB 1893 on the House Calendar for a vote! Yeah, I know I usually discourage emails, but not on this issue. Nevertheless, calls and faxes are much more effective.

Calendars Committee Members.

Thanks,
    Chas.

+1,000,000,000,000 (Hey, if the government can use these numbers, so can I.)

I have been contacting my representatives about this bill for several months now. I am a faculty member at Texas Tech University. Every day I go to work in a building where I am denied the ability to lawfully protect myself with the most effective tool available to me. This in turn creates an attractive playground for someone who has no regard for the law to accomplish maximum devastation with the least amount of risk. It is an absolutely insane situation.

Furthermore, why would I, as a parent, want to place my child in this same position. The concept of "Gun Free Zones" is absolutely fatuous.

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Central Texas, Williamson County
    I wonder what is going to happen if this bill passes, there is a shooting on campus and local SWAT or patrol officers arrive. Per all active shooter training the person with a gun in the hostile enviroment is a target, no time to check for CHL so the CHL holder is just collateral damage. Just a thought. :confused:

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    I wonder what is going to happen if this bill passes, there is a shooting on campus and local SWAT or patrol officers arrive. Per all active shooter training the person with a gun in the hostile enviroment is a target, no time to check for CHL so the CHL holder is just collateral damage. Just a thought. :confused:

Granted, I have no experience as an LEO; however, I imagine that they would respond to the situation in the same way they would in any populated building/area. I do not see that it would make a difference whether or not the building/area is on a college campus.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I do not see that it would make a difference whether or not the building/area is on a college campus.

/agree

Who wants to walk around wearing a safety helmet, tethered to a safety rail, on sidewalks made of rubber? I don't know the stats on our road safety vs gun safety, but I'm willing to bet our roads are more dangerous and more heavily policed.

Anyway, people need to let their elected officials know what they think about issues. Time to earn our country back.

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Training is to "incapacitate" armed persons, the difference is that Johnny CHL holder now becomes a target. They should poll the students and faculty since they will be the ones affected and not listen to a bunch of gun toting wannabes who think they can save the world with their gun. Just a thought.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    If I was ever forced to protect myself in a shooting such as we have seen on campuses, and the cops shot me just because I had a gun in my hand when they arrived, there would be a lawsuit the likes of which they have never seen. That would be nothing less than attempted murder or plain murder. I read where an officer at Texas State University reported that he would shoot anyone he found with a gun if a shooting occurred on "his" campus. This guy needs to be fired immediately, no questions! What happened to being innocent until proven guilty. The Nazi cops are getting out of hand.

We have rights and I intend to exercise mine at every chance. Schools are not sacred places, inspite of what some folks think. They are not now or have ever been safe places, regardless of what the media spewes.

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I'm on staff at Texas A&M and I'm certainly in favor of concealed carry. My work as a systems administrator occasionally involves getting dragged out of bed in the middle of the night because a system has crashed.

I also have an undergraduate who works in the lab I take care of who has a CHL. I'm fine with the idea of him carrying.

So now y'all have heard from someone else who will be directly affected.

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Training is to "incapacitate" armed persons, the difference is that Johnny CHL holder now becomes a target. They should poll the students and faculty since they will be the ones affected and not listen to a bunch of gun toting wannabes who think they can save the world with their gun. Just a thought.

I am not sure how polling fits into the legislative process. Besides, no one is making someone carry on campus. The legislation merely allows carrying by those that choose to do so. If Johnny CHL were a target of LE on a college campus, would he not also be a target anywhere else? Or are you suggesting that LE respond more aggressively to incidents on college campuses?

I guess what it comes down to is that I do not understand what makes a college campus any different than any other place when considering whether or not someone should be afforded every opportunity to protect themselves.

themotion03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    College Station, TX
    I am a student at Texas A&M, and am perfectly comfortable with my certified fellow Ags carrying right next to me. It WILL make a "postal" person think twice, and will provide protection, just in case. I have e-mailed my rep.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008

First of all, the CHL holder is not going to be waving his/her gun around and pointing it indiscriminately. The CHL holder won't even look like a target to LEO, because once the CHL holder has neutralized the active shooter, they will put away the firearm. Second, LEO won't respond quickly enough for that to matter anyway. By the time the police arrive on the scene, either the shooter has been neutralized or the occupants of the school have.

What bugs me (and this is not directed at you) is that people engage in these arguments against CHL as if we're supposed to just throw up our hands and give up. If a campus shooting incident arises and you happen to have a firearm on your person, and you are in a group being fired upon, are you not going to do whatever you can to defend yourself and survive? Of course you are - survival instinct is instilled in humans. For some reason, people think that these arguments are supposed to override basic human survival instinct.

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    I am a student at Texas A&M, and am perfectly comfortable with my certified fellow Ags carrying right next to me. It WILL make a "postal" person think twice, and will provide protection, just in case. I have e-mailed my rep.

I was not thinking about A&M, you all can have guns but we will hide the rubberbands. I would be more afraid of log piles that gunmen, you guys should be allwed to carry concealed D9 Caterpillars.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    question:

If this bill passes, and it is legal to carry concealed on, then can the universites make policies to prevent students and staff from carrying? (example, expell a student or fire a professor?)

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I was not thinking about A&M, you all can have guns but we will hide the rubberbands. I would be more afraid of log piles that gunmen, you guys should be allwed to carry concealed D9 Caterpillars.

Any chance you could clarify this comment? I'm trying to read what you mean and I'm not sure I'm succeeding. As someone who was connected to the university (although never a student) in many ways, I am trying to decide if you're actually making a joke at the expense of those involved in a terrible tragedy that shook our community to it's core or if you're merely an elitist officer who can do nothing but thumb his nose at any and all of us regular folks. I am not accusing you of anything nor am I making any assumptions about you, but I'd appreciate a fair shake at understanding what you mean.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I am not sure how polling fits into the legislative process. Besides, no one is making someone carry on campus. The legislation merely allows carrying by those that choose to do so. If Johnny CHL were a target of LE on a college campus, would he not also be a target anywhere else? Or are you suggesting that LE respond more aggressively to incidents on college campuses?

I guess what it comes down to is that I do not understand what makes a college campus any different than any other place when considering whether or not someone should be afforded every opportunity to protect themselves.

+1

themotion03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    College Station, TX

So, what you're getting at here is that you're from the Austin area and oppose this bill? I believe various universities have been very outspoken about this. Also, keep in mind that this just did not appear "out of the blue." Students and faculty alike have "heard" and have been educated, as far as those who cared, so no one is being left out unless they chose to be.

I'm not sure if there is any clarifying this mess. It seems our forum has spell check and some do not know how to use it. Aside from that, I'm not sure if I, or anyone else on the forum, quite completely understand what you're getting at here.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ...I'm not sure if I, or anyone else on the forum, quite completely understand what you're getting at here.

I think it was a lame attempt at "typical" Aggie humor, but referencing the bonfire incident was just downright tasteless, disgusting, and extremely disrespectful.

Top Bottom