• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I’m with Ben. Backstop as an excuse is a clear tell the individual did not have the confidence the utilize a patrol rifle. That being said, the LEO should not have been armed with a rifle to begin with.

Even using iron sights, it’s fairly difficult to miss an adult-sized target at 300 yards. That’s generally the minimum marksmanship requirement for all the services.

I would love to attend a range session with you and let you show me how easy it s to hit a target at 300 yds
    Guns International

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    But in hindsight we do know exactly what inaction did. It got 21 people dead. There is always the risk of hitting an innocent bystander. In that situation, knowing now what the outcome was, I consider that an acceptable risk.

Even if you shot at the shooter, and didn't hit him, might have still kept him engaged and to not allow him entry into the school classrooms. Or until more officers were able to arrive and assist in taking him down.
    You don’t know the likelihood of hitting the shooter vs hitting the kids so you can’t really asses the risk accurately. If we have video or any information that gives us a way to paint a mental picture of what the officer was seeing then my mind could be changed. But to say it was worth it to take the shot without any idea of what the sight picture looked like is just internet tough talk.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    From those that took a picture of him before he entered the building, said he was shooting at the school building (since there are windows, I would tend to believe it was in the direction of the windows) as he walked towards the entrance door. I haven't found anything saying he shot while running towards the door. The building, besides the windows, is cinderblock construction (not sure of any facade). From what I understand the children were instructed to get to the floor when the shooting outside started. Maybe not shoot if he was directly in front of a window, but looking at the school from ground level on Mapquest, there was plenty of spacing between windows. While I can understand the concern for children, you have to consider the risk of him going inside over the risk of possibilities of what can happen stopping him from going in.
    Maybe he was running. Maybe he was walking fast. Maybe he was just strolling. We don't know for sure.

How would the LEO know the kids were on the floor (if they were)? What do kids often do when there are loud noises outside? Run to the window to look.

Do we know the angle or distance? Do we know the backstop? I don't think anyone here knows at this time.

Did the LEO assume the door was locked, as it was supposed to be? We don't know.

I will reserve judgement until the full facts and situation are known.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You don’t know the likelihood of hitting the shooter vs hitting the kids so you can’t really asses the risk accurately. If we have video or any information that gives us a way to paint a mental picture of what the officer was seeing then my mind could be changed. But to say it was worth it to take the shot without any idea of what the sight picture looked like is just internet tough talk.
    So pleased to be reduced to just an internet tough guy!

Thank you for your assessment.

My day is now complete.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    But the officer DID NOT HAVE THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT!

That does not matter. The LEO saw a man with a gun attempting to enter a school. That satisfies use of force and deadly force and use of deadly force in defense a third person. The LEO was derelict in not engaging the threat.

A non-LEO citizen could have legally engaged the threat.

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:
    (1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and
    (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or
    (B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

Sec. 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:
    (1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I’m with Ben. Backstop as an excuse is a clear tell the individual did not have the confidence the utilize a patrol rifle. That being said, the LEO should not have been armed with a rifle to begin with.

Even using iron sights, it’s fairly difficult to miss an adult-sized target at 300 yards. That’s generally the minimum marksmanship requirement for all the services.
    Remind me again how fast those targets are moving, and how many kids are between the shooter and that target, as well as behind the target.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    lol. i was more referring to the discussion, not you personally.
    Sorry, but however fleeting a glimpse of the shooter, I'd have taken the shot. I also laid out why it could have changed things even if those shots were misses or the shooter.

I think @toddnjoyce laid it out pretty simple as to why.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    That does not matter. The LEO saw a man with a gun attempting to enter a school. That satisfies use of force and deadly force and use of deadly force in defense a third person. The LEO was derelict in not engaging the threat.

A non-LEO citizen could have legally engaged the threat.

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:
    (1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and
    (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or
    (B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

Sec. 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:
    (1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.
    That’s all great if the person you shoot is who you intend to shoot. The issue here is whether the officer would have hit the shooter or a student.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Sorry, but however fleeting a glimpse of the shooter, I'd have taken the shot. I also laid out why it could have changed things even if those shots were misses or the shooter.

I think @toddnjoyce laid it out pretty simple as to why.

Do you know what it looked like from the officers perspective? if not, you don’t even know what kind of shot you’re saying you’d have taken.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    What says I would have to just stand in one spot?

The shooter was moving, so why wouldn't I move to gain a better shot if possible.
    that’s great if you can make that happen. But maybe that’s what the officer wanted to do but by that time the shooter got in the school. This is why I like watching bodycam footage instead of just imagining how it may or may not have happened.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Maybe they should have let the funeral worker take the shot.
    Im not supportive of how police handled this situation at all, but the decision to prevent the funeral worker from going inside has nothing to do with whether this officer could have killed the shooter at this moment. By the time the funeral home worker was stopped, I believe the shooter was already inside, so he wouldn’t have shot him before getting inside.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Havok1 and oldag both make good points. Reasonable men may disagree and I acknowledge they may be right and I may be wrong.

But I know I've been shot at and I've been kidnapped and at no time did I lack the presence of mind to make good decisions, taking into account the totality of circumstances. I expect at least as much from police officers. It's going to be hard to convince me that a policeman who sees an active shooter on a school campus and fails to shoot can possibly be doing the right thing.

Top Bottom