• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Overnight, my ad blocker, UBlock Origin, has disappeared from my PC. The icon is no longer in the tool bar, it's not listed in All Programs, and is not even in the add/remove programs list. The only reference to it I can find with file explorer is:

Ublock0@raymondhill.net last modified at 9:02 pm, 28Aug2017
    Ublock0sqlite last modified at 8:59 pm 28Aug2017
    Ublock0@raymondhill.net.xpi last modified at 9:02 pm 28Aug2017

I don't know who Raymond Hill is, maybe the guy who wrote the software.

I'll just download it again, but I'm really curious as to why it just disappeared. I'm pretty sure I was on the computer last night at 9 pm.
    Capitol Armory ad

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Okay, so Ublock origin is not a program, it's an add on for Firefox. I just reinstalled it and it worked until I went to a new web page. Now it is gone again. It's been working fine for almost two years.
    I'll install it again and see what happens.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Here is what may be going on....

Firefox add-on technology is modernizing
    Add-ons allow you to add extra features and functionality to Firefox, modify the Firefox user interface and change its appearance. There are several types of add-ons but extensions are the most common. Anyone can create an extension and make it available for download.

What's happening?
    In the past, add-ons often stopped working each time a new version of Firefox was released, because developers had to update them every six weeks to keep them compatible. Since add-ons could also modify Firefox internal code directly, it was possible for bad actors to include malicious code in an innocent-looking add-on.

To address these issues, and as part of broader efforts to modernize Firefox as a whole, we’ve been transitioning to a new framework for developing Firefox extensions. Outside of rare instances, add-ons created with the new standard, called WebExtensions, won’t break in new Firefox releases. You can still personalize Firefox with add-ons the same way you do now, except they won’t break in new Firefox releases.

Note: Starting in Firefox 57, which will be released in November 2017, only add-ons built with this new technology will work in Firefox. These are indicated by the "Compatible with Firefox 57+" label on addons.mozilla.org (AMO). Add-ons built with the old technology are labeled "Legacy" in the Add-ons Manager (about:addons) tab.
    If an add-on does not have the "Compatible with 57+" label or has the "Legacy" label, the developer may be in the process of transitioning to the new technology.

We are aware that certain add-ons will not be transitioning to the new standard; we will continue to assist developers to the fullest possible extent. As we get closer to November, we will suggest suitable replacements of add-ons not making the transition.

If you are a user of Firefox Nightly, please note that Firefox 57 reached the Nightly channel on August 2, 2017. Legacy add-ons will be disabled, but will be enabled again if the developer releases a compatible update.

In the meantime, you can check if an add-on is planned for migration (popular add-ons only), look for alternatives or reach out to the developer to inquire if they will migrate their add-on. You may find developer contact information on the right side of the add-on listing on AMO.

We recommend that you install add-ons with the "Compatible with Firefox 57+" label to ensure compatibility with Firefox beyond November 2017.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-add-technology-modernizing?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

Top Bottom