• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Hello everyone......

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this. I would like to paint the Fire and Safety lettering on my AR. Has anyone ever done this before, or can anyone help in a technique and the type of paint to use. I want to do the Safe in white and the Fire in red. Seems to me to cover it in paint, then maybe squeegee it off so that the lettering only is filled with paint. Any help out there???

Here is a pic of the area on my AR I want to do this to....

Chris

5307425626_ebdb892d3c.png

IMG_2384 by chrs2fer23, on Flickr
    Gun Zone Deals

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    heat up the area with a blow dryer, rub a white crayon around area, clean excess off, let cool down and clean with cleaner.
    done quite a few guns this way, they have lasted quite a while now and i see no signs of fading

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Also heat up the crayon in the Microwave for a few seconds. Red would look kewl. If it melts off in August you can use enamel paint for models.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Thanks ....someone had told me to use a crayon and I thought they were being silly....=/.....I'll give that a try on an old .22 I have to get some practice. Here in West Texas, it gets over 100 for most of August. I would hate for the crayon to melt in the car at the range. Thanks for the info!!

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    even after a few hundred rounds and the slide on xd very hot the crayon didnt melt off for some reason so i think you will be ok

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    OK...I tried the crayon method on a rough-shape .22 I have.....doesn't look too bad. Someone on another site suggested to spray paint it and wipe off extra paint with a rag and Remoil while still wet. The paint seems to me to be more durable and more permanent. I'll keep experimenting and posting pics.

5308276160_5e3dbae59b.png

IMG_2386 by chrs2fer23, on Flickr

bwdilli

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    I do this with testors model paint. Choose what ever color you want and make it thinner with the paint thinner. Get a very fine paint brush. Get a drop on the paint brush and touch the lettering. Don't paint it. The paint will wick into the roll mark and follow the lettering. Repeat until finished.

Piece of advice, do one color at a time and let it completely dry before doing another color. You can clean it up with a bit of gun scrubber. If you mess up, don't worry gun scrubber will take it right out, just scrub it a bit harder.

Don't have to worry about heat getting to your crayon and the colors are a bit brighter.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Doesn't look bad.

It doesn't look bad...it only took me about 1 minute to do that...was just trying it out.

I think I like the paint method better....will go get some model paint tomorrow......worried the crayon will rub off going in and out of the case.

Thanks to all for the great ideas and techniques!! Once again, this site is a wealth of information and gun knowledge.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I did crayon on my SW99 .40.....after about 600 rounds, crayon is still perfect...in and out of holster...still looks great..

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    Anybody tried this crayon method with a glock? Wondering how difficult it would be since the tenifer finish is kind of rough all around.

Infidel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Dallas
    I do this with testors model paint. Choose what ever color you want and make it thinner with the paint thinner. Get a very fine paint brush. Get a drop on the paint brush and touch the lettering. Don't paint it. The paint will wick into the roll mark and follow the lettering. Repeat until finished.

Piece of advice, do one color at a time and let it completely dry before doing another color. You can clean it up with a bit of gun scrubber. If you mess up, don't worry gun scrubber will take it right out, just scrub it a bit harder.

Don't have to worry about heat getting to your crayon and the colors are a bit brighter.

I've used the model paint before, and came out great. I haven't done the crayon method, but the model paint came out great and didn't fade at all.

TERRor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Marion, Texas
    I would use One-Shot sign enamel. It's the same thing used by pinstripers the world over. If it sticks to urethane clear coats I would imagine it would stick to a gun.

I have some bright red and would send you a quarter ounce (which should do several guns) if you want to try it.

dcom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Lake Wales
    White out. The standard office stuff with the brush inside works great. Thin consistency, easy to wipe off areas not to be painted, fast drying. I used the water soluble type on an old Mauser to bring out all the proof marks, really nice. Prepare the area with de-greaser or alcohol, then brush on and wipe off. I've also used red model paint on AR fire mark, I got some outside the letter, but it wore off the not to be painted area easily.

Top Bottom