• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I am not your average gun owner. I never grew up with guns in the house. My Mother hates the fact that I have a "few" but, because I am a grown a** man and I can do what I want.

I never got to shoot a gun till I was about 19. Never even held one until then and after that I couldn't wait to turn 21.

My Ruger .22 pistol and 10/22 are far and wide my favorite guns to have fun with. Like some people said, cheap to shoot, and well, fun as all out doors.

I bought my .22 pistol about 2-3 years ago and I bought the 10/22 last year.
    Capitol Armory ad

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I am not your average gun owner. I never grew up with guns in the house. My Mother hates the fact that I have a "few" but, because I am a grown a** man and I can do what I want.

I never got to shoot a gun till I was about 19. Never even held one until then and after that I couldn't wait to turn 21.

My Ruger .22 pistol and 10/22 are far and wide my favorite guns to have fun with. Like some people said, cheap to shoot, and well, fun as all out doors.

Sorry to hear about your deprived childhood! I think that falls under the catagory of child abuse. I'm glad you survived your sad youthful experience but maybe it will make a better man out of you. It looks like you have come a long way toward the road to recovery.
    You will know you have completely recovered when you find guns in your closet you had forgotten you even had. Good luck, keep your chin up. never look back, and buy more guns!

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    Appreciate the kind words Phantom. They are helping to mend my memories of the travesty that was my youth. I don't have enough to find one in my closet and forgot that I had it. But, I do have enough that others have been retired. Or some that I still havent even shot yet. (I bought an 870 5 years ago and used it to hunt for the 1st time this past January)

I have found ammo that I forgot about and I know I have some 9mm hollow points that I can not seem to locate.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've heard a lot about how great thr Ruger 10/22 is so I bought one. Now either I have a lemon or the Ruger 10/22 !@#$%. I took it ti the range sunday and had the following problems.
    1. I shot CCI Blazor and Federal WallyWorld bulk pack and using the factory clip I had at least one feed jam or eject jam, spend hull not total ejected, or more on every clip. I also bought a 20 round after market clip and it did slightly better but not much.
    2. When the cocking lever is all the way back and held in place by the "cocking bolt" I have to fiddle with it and the bolt release thing to get the bolt to release and load a cartrage. I finialy got to where if I released both the cocking lever and bolt release lever at the same time about half the time it would load.
    3. I also had about 1 misfire every 20 rounds. When I looked at the end of the cartrage ther was no indentation on it and I heard and felt the fireingpin fire. I loaded several of the "missfires" in my Buckmark and they all fired fine.
    4. When the last round was fired in either clip the breach would not stay open, i.e., the bolt would go forward and cock the gun.
    Are these kinds of problems common with the 10/22 or did I get a lemon. As of right now considering my experience with the 10/22 I can't say I'm favoribly empressed with it at all. Any suggestions?

You need to use certain kinds of ammo (something higher than standard velocity) that is better for a semi-auto rifle. Go here for info - they have a 10-22 specific cforum.

RFC Home

I seem to remember someone mentioning CCI Mini-Mags working well in the 10-22.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    OK, I admit it. I am 45 years old and I love shooting my 22 Henry Lever Action rifle! Hey, its cheap to shoot and its good practice at the range. Its funny because next to my Daisy BB gun, a .22 was my first real rifle, a Remington Nylon 66 which I still own. My Winchester 94 30-30 is still my favorite gun in my cabinet but, I really enjoy my .22.

I have a Henry .22 (H001T) as well:

henry_h001t_frontier.jpg

I replaced the front sight with a Lyman Globe sight, removed the rear ramped sight, and installed a creedmore tang sight. I shot Smallbore Cowboy Silhouette with it for quite a while.

I also stripped the paint off the receiver cover and the barrel band to give it a different look. Over 10,000 rounds down the pipe with not a single malfunction.

I also have a pair of CZ-452 target rifles (a Style and a Silhouette - also used for smallbore rifle silhouette).

I've shot almost the same amount through both of those and have never had a malfunction in them, either.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    You need to use certain kinds of ammo (something higher than standard velocity) that is better for a semi-auto rifle. Go here for info - they have a 10-22 specific cforum.

RFC Home

I seem to remember someone mentioning CCI Mini-Mags working well in the 10-22.

Try the Remington Yellow Jacket! The Truncated Cone bullet feeds in everything I own and the Hyper Velocity help as mentioned above. I get mine at Wally World or Academy is a 100 rd. plastic box for just under $7.00.

noskilz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Houston
    This thread reminds me of a group therapy lesson. Hi, my name is Noskilz, I'm a grown man and I still love shooting my .22's . . .

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    I've heard a lot about how great thr Ruger 10/22 is so I bought one. Now either I have a lemon or the Ruger 10/22 !@#$%. I took it ti the range sunday and had the following problems.
    2. When the cocking lever is all the way back and held in place by the "cocking bolt" I have to fiddle with it and the bolt release thing to get the bolt to release and load a cartrage. I finialy got to where if I released both the cocking lever and bolt release lever at the same time about half the time it would load.
    4. When the last round was fired in either clip the breach would not stay open, i.e., the bolt would go forward and cock the gun.
    Are these kinds of problems common with the 10/22 or did I get a lemon. As of right now considering my experience with the 10/22 I can't say I'm favoribly empressed with it at all. Any suggestions?

#2 - look at the rimfirecentral link provided by the others and do the auto Bolt Release modification on the gun. It takes about 15 minutes to do with a file or Dremel and is probably the easiest thing you can do to the gun. Like you, I hated fiddling with the stupid thing once it locked and I found I would spend 5 minutes trying to get the dumb thing unlocked. Now, I just pull back on the bolt and it unlocks on its own. Super Simple

#4 is how the gun works. In other words, it doesn’t lock open after the last shot. I think there is a mod to make it do it, but for the most part, I just try to remember how many shots I have left or I just fire till it's empty.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Try the Remington Yellow Jacket! The Truncated Cone bullet feeds in everything I own and the Hyper Velocity help as mentioned above. I get mine at Wally World or Academy is a 100 rd. plastic box for just under $7.00.

A friend of mine bought his wife a Sig Mesquito that is very finicky with anything but CCI. I tried Winchester 40 grain high velosity in it and it worked fine.

jetman1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    north texas
    dont be ashamed cause you shoot a 22

I would not be ashamed of a 22 because I have been told with the right round you can put a hurtin on the bad guy.

hangtree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Texas
    I have a Ruger 10/22, Marlin 39A lever, Ruger Single Six, Ruger MKIII and a Stoeger Luger and I enjoy shooting all of them. Also have a couple of 17 hmr's. Usually will take one or two with me to warm up for the bigger stuff. Sometimes 22s are all that I take with me. Fun, cheap and good practice.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009

i feel ya bro!
    i atleast got to have a variety of bb guns...
    :(

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    I have one .22, i put about 500 rounds through it a month. Its a blast to shoot, it keeps the turtles down at the ranch and if your a long range shooter like me, nothing better to practice with then a .22

HPIM0730.gif

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have owned and shot many 22s over the years. I still have my alltime favorite, a mauser sportsmodell trainer with the full stock and 200 mtr ladder sight that will out shoot most of my other rifles.this rifle dates from th e 40's and is postwar production.
    I had one of those. A single shot right? I could hit a spent shot shell at 100 yards with that rifle. My dad took it back when he moved to West Virginia for foxes and ground hogs. I lost the safety on it at Reds North I think but never found it. I want it back but he won't give to me. I might pick up a 10/22 or some other 22 in February. I like 22's they're fun.

Acetone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    One of my favorite things to do while out at the range (desert) is to find old rounds of .22 that have been ground into the sand, wipe them off and see if they fire.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I had one of those. A single shot right? I could hit a spent shot shell at 100 yards with that rifle. My dad took it back when he moved to West Virginia for foxes and ground hogs. I lost the safety on it at Reds North I think but never found it. I want it back but he won't give to me. I might pick up a 10/22 or some other 22 in February. I like 22's they're fun.
    Yes, single shot. The coolest thing about it is that I have the dust cover for the muzzle. It does have a hole in it from my father forgetting to flip it before firing. I can fix it but I thought I would leave it like that for the grandkids to talk about. I still give my dad sh&@ about it when I get it out.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom