Adventurous Eater

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by Wolfwood, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    Ok so i saw a few recipes online for Nutria.
    you know? those big fat ugly as sin rat looking varmints that are good fro nothing but destabilizing river or creek banks, destroying vegetation and biting your kids at the park?

welllll......

apparently they are good for chillie to. i asked some of my freinds if they where in, and they all said Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

so i guess im eating alone. but where to find some of these little buggers?
    anybody have a clue?
    or better yet, anyone have a nutria problem?
    hehe i dont think anyone on this aprticualr forum weould have a nuttria problem for long but its worth a shot so to speak.
    ;)
    oh and also tips for curing their skins/furs as i plan on making some wintergear as well as some some stew chillie and sausage.

2. fuelfather

fuelfather Well-Known

Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Head out toward Beaumont and anywhere in Louisiana. I hit one in Port Allen that took out my A/C condenser, bumper, and lower radiator support.

3. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    LoL you cant be serious! really? mustve beent eh size of a 4th grader! geeze

we have a bunch down here in teh New Braunfels area, but i dont think the city would like me blasting away in Landa Park.

HAH

4. Acesn8's

Acesn8's Well-Known

Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Hmmmmmm reminds me of a water chicken

5. fuelfather

fuelfather Well-Known

Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    nope, ask Redneck, he knows the story. although if you check with Louisiana, they occasionally have bounties on Nutria due to the damage they cause to housing.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Hint: Suppressed .22

"Oh, no! It had a heart attack!"

7. rgriffin

rgriffin New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Dallas
    Don't know that I'd be brave enough to eat Nutria, though I'm sure it tastes like chicken

8. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    mmm chicken... I heard the other day on Discovery channel or a similar channel that there are several places that have issues with nutria and will let people kill them, just make sure its a nutria and not a Gambian Rat as they carry all sorts of nasty disease like monkey pox (found mostly in FL... so far)

9. Acetone

Acetone Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    [​IMG]

10. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Saw a show on the outdoor channel they were hunting them with shotguns out of an airboat in New Orleans area.It looked like alot of fun.