• ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    My grand daughter has a little problem operating her Kimber micro 9 due to hand strength. She is a Southpaw and the safety is on the left side plus ejected rounds distract her in some positions. Any advice from left handed shooters would be helpful.. I want her to have a safe gun and prefer hammer over striker but will consider either (and no I do not wish to debate this), DA/SA or SA and accepts laser grips. I think a Kimber 380 with ambi safety would work but have never fired one. She has eliminated the Ruger LC-9 so far;)

Thanks for any suggestions PLEASE keep comments directed at firearms and not people.
    Lynx Defense

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have issues with any 1911 due to the fact I'm left handed.
    I cause it to jam due to hitting the button on the right side of the slide, pushing the take down lever over.
    Thanks, I am training her to point finger alongside the frame/slide until on target and ready to shoot- so that would put her finger near the slide release

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks, I am training her to point finger alongside the frame/slide until on target and ready to shoot- so that would put her finger near the slide release

Good training, but that would be on the left side of the slide.
    That wouldn't/shouldn't be an issue.

My problem was on recoil, and accidentally hitting the button on the right side.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Beretta px4 compact? Might be a bit on the large side, and is DA/SA, but has ambi controls, and is hammer fired. Looking for a fully ambi gun, especially hammer fired isn't going to net you many options. The s&w ez is an option if you can live without a ambi slide stop

Im not sure how exactly she is getting distracted by ejected cases, ejection on handguns is typically very fast. Is she getting brass to the face?

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    No worries, I’m here lol.

I like a Glock 43X. Have her hold the 43, it’s nice and slim. Advice i always have heard is have her grip lots of guns and see which one makes the angels sing.

You can choose to move the mag release over if you want, to the right side. I didn’t bother for my newest Glock. I have made it a point of reaching over with the pointer finger of my right hand and depressing the mag release.

I made a thread about that idea a while back. I can search for it.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

I like a Glock 43X. Have her hold the 43, it’s nice and slim. Advice i always have heard is have her grip lots of guns and see which one makes the angels sing.

You can choose to move the mag release over if you want, to the right side. I didn’t bother for my newest Glock. I have made it a point of reaching over with the pointer finger of my right hand and depressing the mag release.

I was wondering where you were. You should be the resident expert.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Have a Kahr model suggestion? She prefers the Kimber to the Ruger LC series I'll research Kahr models Thank you
    Kahr P380 or CW380. And the Ruger LCPII series is a bit different than the LC9. I like the LCPII a lot more than my LC9.

Wait.....who died and made you a girl?

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Is she right or left eye dominant? That can make a huge difference. I'm left-handed with dominant right eye and it was natural for me to shoot right handed. If she happens to be right eye dominant, changing her to a right hand shooter probably won't be difficult, and may feel more natural to her. FWIW, I've seen very few left-handed people who also had dominant left eye, but that's just my experience.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Eye dominance does matter. I’m left eye dominant but I think it’s not the strongest… kinda I pull the triangle to the left center. If I shoot right handed, I can do it, but it’s wonky to pull the pistol a little further over across so I can focus more with the left eye on the sights.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Is she right or left eye dominant? That can make a huge difference. I'm left-handed with dominant right eye and it was natural for me to shoot right handed. If she happens to be right eye dominant, changing her to a right hand shooter probably won't be difficult, and may feel more natural to her. FWIW, I've seen very few left-handed people who also had dominant left eye, but that's just my experience.
    I dont know, I teach both eyes open for self defense-she shoots her Ruger 10/22 right eye closed

Top Bottom