Capitol Armory ad

Advice for a newbie? Which press? Which dies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    I'm in the market for my first press. I have no reloading experience but I'm pretty mechanically inclined and detail oriented with not much ADHD. :)

I have a long history of making value-based purchases only to end buy quality down the road. I want to avoid that MO if possible. I'm looking at either the Dillon 550b or Hornady Lock and Load if I decide to start with a progressive. Alternatively, I'm looking at the RCBS rock crusher for a single stage.

Any thoughts on single stage versus progressive for a newbie? Any reason why I should avoid any of these options?

Also, I intend to start off loading 9mm and 5.56 and then maybe .45 acp and various rifle rounds down the road.

Any recommendation on die sets? Is this something that I'm going to want to invest some money in, or is there not much difference between dies?

Amazon.com: Hornady Lock N Load Auto-Progressive Reloading Press: Sports & Outdoors
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DH9W8G/ref=gno_cart_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1MKVUID7YE8RZ
    Amazon.com: RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit, Green: Sports & Outdoors

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you can't go wrong with having a Rock Chucker around even if you end up with a progressive. I started with one and worked my way through a Lee or two and ended up with a Dillon 650 and I love it. I still use my Rockchucker for different things where I don't want to change my Dillon up like decapping brass for wet tumbling

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Rockchucker is an excellent choice and will last forever. Lee makes some good single stage presses also though. Stick with a full circle frame design.

I always recommend a new reloader start with a single stage press mainly because a single stage press is handy to have anyways. They are easier to learn on too. You don't have to start on a single stage but it is definitely simpler.

As far as a progressive press the Hornady and Dillon presses are both excellent. If I was buying right now I would get a Dillon 650 but the SDB I have serves my purposes just fien.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    RCBS makes good stuff.

Redding is good stuff.

Lyman is good stuff.

Dillon is good stuff.

Hornady is good stuff.

Can't go wrong with any of them.

Lee is cheap stuff but it works.
    I use Lee dies in oddball obsolete calibers because they are much less expensive and don't generally get used all that much. Say, maybe, 200 rds a year.
    If you're gonna be cranking out 1000's of rounds buy Redding or RCBS.

Single stage is SLOW.
    Progressive is fast.
    For ammo you're gonna shoot a boatload of, go progressive.
    If you're gonna shoot small amounts of many different calibers, go single stage. Much less hassle of converting calibers.

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I use a Hornady LNL progressive for bulk loading eg. 45acp - I use a single-stage for rifle eg. 308 or small experimental loads where high volume isn't needed. The point of me saying that is... there's always a use for a single-stage, even if you upgrade later.

Things is, most newbies will do fine with a progressive press IF they're responsible and take it slowly to build their confidence and technique, because there's a lot going on simultaneously - so fixing an issue with one case can cause issues with another. Not like one feller I know who's impatient and started churning out shitty ammo from day 1 - and ended up kabooming his pistol; when I heard about it, I wasn't surprised in the slightest.

Dies - most of the time I just use Lee dies, although for 308 I use RCBS.

If you do decide on a single-stage, don't buy that RCBS kit - buy the press itself and then individual components to your preference.

Last edited:

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    My main concern is the material the press is made of, so I always pick cast iron on presses that are going to work hard. I use a Rock Chucker (cast iron), Lee Cast Iron Classic Turret and a Hornady LNL AP that is aluminum. The Hornady get's the least use of the three, even though they are all "O" frame presses!

Dies are a toss up between RCBS and Lee, but mostly Lee duplicating RCBS now.

Too many people in too big of a hurry now and it makes for junk loads!

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    A rock chucker would never be a bad purchase in my opinion. Even if you decide to upgrade to a progressive you will still want a single stage for rifle and low volume reloading tasks.

Single stage allows you to learn the reloading process one step at a time and learn why you set dies up a certain way. A progressive press is throwing a lot of stuff at a new reloader at once.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    a bit of hind sight, ... If I had it do to over, I would not buy Lee dies because they are too short to work in my Dillon.
    I would either buy RCBS Carbides or Dillon dies

Wryknow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    I started reloading about 18 months ago. Started with a Lee Challenger press in aluminum and was over-all pretty happy with it but I quickly realized that a single stage press wasn't cutting it. Single stage is slow and a lot of handling of the rounds as you change dies = a lot of opportunities to screw thing up IMHO. It would probably be just fine if I only wanted to load 50 rounds of rifle ammo at a time but I shoot some IDPA so I need a volume of pistol ammo for practice. A turret press would be better I think but that's still alot of handle pulls still. After a lot of debate I eventually bought a Dillon 550B about 6 months ago and I am very happy with it. It's not perfect, but I can knock out 1,000 rounds in an evening if I need to. Initially, I was worried about buying a non-indexed progressive press but it's really been no problem at all (in fact I think it sort of helps a bit if you're a NEWB because you have to manually control advancing the rounds.) As for the dies, I have always used Lee and been very happy with them. The carbide pistol dies are super and a good value - definitately get the deluxe set with the factory crimp die. I've seen a lot of folks on the range that have had problems with reloads not feeding correctly due to sizing issues and I've never had a problem with it. The final sizing and crimp really helps ensure you are getting a quality final product.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    If you are loading straight wall pistol calibers, I would recommend the Dillon 550b. It is a progressive but since it does not auto index (rotate to the next station) it is easy to use as a single stage for learning. Also it takes standard dies and mine has been trouble free except for one little part on the failsafe rod which Dillon replaced for free. The actually sent some extras too.

I see no reason to learn on a single stage if you plan on loading for pistols. Single stage is great for accuracy loads for a bolt action rifle, but most folks go through too much pistol ammo to make a single state effective time wise.

Start with at least 2 manuals. Read them, then start looking for hardware.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Been loading for 40 years come Thursday, I'm out in the shop using that same Rock Crusher. It has loaded 10's of thousands of rounds. I mostly use it for rifle as I'm usually only doing small lots and it isn't worth setting up the Hornady Lock n Load progressive for that, I keep it going for all my pistol stuff. I had a Dillon 550 for about 20 years, got nothing bad to say about Dillon, but since I bought the Hornady I haven't looked back. With the case feeder I can load around 500 rounds an hour which will almost let me keep up with the way I shoot at times.

For dies in the progressive Dillon is the only way to go IMO, for rifle I prefer Redding dies. I do have some Lee's, RCBS that I pick up for the odd ball or low volume stuff as they are usually available cheaper.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    Being anal retentive I started with a single stage press so that it forced me to take my time and learn everything about the dies, process, purpose of and control of things like OAL, charge weight, and crimping. I still use a single stage since most of what I do is to customize loads for specific purposes I have. I load no more then 50 rounds at a time so have no use for a progressive. If I need a lot of ammunition in a hurry, I'll just pull a couple thousand or so from my stored supply of factory and/or surplus.

More important then the press itself is to get several different reloading manuals for cross comparison of load data.

00-Guy

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    San Antonio
    Start with at least 2 manuals. Read them, then start looking for hardware.

I'd also suggest "The ABCs of Reloading". Read this, the manuals and the press instructions. As for presses, dies, etc, get what you feel that you can afford. If you don't like it you can always sell it. Which brand of press is the reloading equivalent argument of which caliber is better.

In today's market, I'd worry more about can I get the components (bullets, primers, and powder) than which brand of press or dies.

I'll confess. I drank the blue Kool-Aid 20+ years ago and have not looked back. (Dillon)

Last edited:

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Any thoughts on single stage versus progressive for a newbie? Any reason why I should avoid any of these options?

Many people express concern that progressives are difficult to learn on or do not teach the loader the individual operations. You can run a progressive as a single station as you learn it. Which leads to,

Also, I intend to start off loading 9mm and 5.56 and then maybe .45 acp and various rifle rounds down the road.

Progressive is the answer for those rounds if you shoot any decent quantity at your range sessions. The time you save makes reloading actually worth it from an opportunity cost perspective.

Any recommendation on die sets? Is this something that I'm going to want to invest some money in, or is there not much difference between dies?

Invest in the dies that you prefer for features because the quality for basic functionality is there for all major manufacturers. I prefer Redding dies for jacketed loads but you can't beat the Dillon seating and crimp dies when running lead for ease of cleaning and adjustment. Again, go with what works for you.

Old Texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    West Columbia
    Being anal retentive I started with a single stage press so that it forced me to take my time and learn everything about the dies, process, purpose of and control of things like OAL, charge weight, and crimping. I still use a single stage since most of what I do is to customize loads for specific purposes I have. I load no more then 50 rounds at a time so have no use for a progressive. If I need a lot of ammunition in a hurry, I'll just pull a couple thousand or so from my stored supply of factory and/or surplus.

More important then the press itself is to get several different reloading manuals for cross comparison of load data.

That's been my experience as well. Learn he basics and the why things happen that may not be clear from the get go.

I've bought a Lyman turret with extra turrets to save time an ease when loading quantity, changing dies, and changing calibers.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    I'm in the market for my first press. I have no reloading experience but I'm pretty mechanically inclined and detail oriented with not much ADHD. :)

I have a long history of making value-based purchases only to end buy quality down the road. I want to avoid that MO if possible. I'm looking at either the Dillon 550b or Hornady Lock and Load if I decide to start with a progressive. Alternatively, I'm looking at the RCBS rock crusher for a single stage.

I'll give you the same advice that I got when I started reloading. Don't start with progressives. Get a single stage and learn the process.

After a lot of research and going over the various presses, I bought a Rock Chucker. Didn't care that much for the Lees as they're plastic and aluminum. The RCBS presses are cast iron and will probably last longer than I will.

Yes, they're fast, but they're expensive and you may find out after dropping a fat wad for a Dillon that you don't like reloading. Lastly, you won't know what to look for when something goes wrong if you don't learn the reloading process first. Make your bones on a single stage first and move towards progressives if you shoot that much. You'll always use your single stage, even if you wind up with a Dillon. Everyone I know who has a progressive still use their single stage for precision loads.

I bought the RCBS carbide dies, but replaced the lock rings with Hornady ones because the RCBS rings have a set screw that tear up the ring threads. At this point, you probably don't need the high end Lee or Forster reloading dies. Lyman, Lee, RCBS should all work for you well enough for now.

Get at least 2 reloading manuals, and make sure to look up loads in both before starting a new load development. I've seen some wildly different charge weights for what is supposed to be the same load. Also, get a copy of the ABCs of Reloading and read it. It's your Bible. Come up with a process that is repeatable, and this is what will get your consistency.

Top Bottom