• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Or go Guard. The more and more I learn, the more and more I’m convinced most males need to be put in a semi-independent structured growth environment from 18-24.
    But aren’t college benefits harder to acquire? It used to be x-amount of “active time” didn’t it? Boot camp counted along with MOS school but full benefits used to be a challenge. That may have changed recently though.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    But aren’t college benefits harder to acquire? It used to be x-amount of “active time” didn’t it? Boot camp counted along with MOS school but full benefits used to be a challenge. That may have changed recently though.

I don’t know the details, but Guard is also eligible for some state TA benefits and other Hazlewood Act-ish type benefits.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Honestly, if I could do it all over again, I would go Guard as soon as my shortest AD hitch was up, if I even went AD at all.
    My father got a damn good education in the Air Force that transferred to a civilian job. Use to be called "multi-trades", that covered electrical, electronics, pneumatics, hydraulics and a few others. There are lots of military fields that can teach you a trade that will very easily transition into civilian jobs. Plus they feed you, clothe you, and give you a place to sleep!

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Dad taught so I got cheaper tuition.. Summer and part time construction jobs. Did ROTC which helped some until I got 'damaged' by a drunk driver. So it took 7 years for a 4yr Engineering degree that got me a job where I never did what I studied. Many years to pay off a loan, myself.
    Sister married young to A good guy, both worked and she got nursing degree night and PT school, 7 years too. He got Army damaged, no disability got a job repairing forklifts invented some stuff for robotic factory and managed that company. No loans. No kids.They both worked until couldn't. Nice little place in Florida til they passed.

College seemed like hard work, alot of credit hours, late nites, NOT a party animal and glad I went Eng because it's been useful to be able to know how stuff works and fix it. Alot of trade school guys and out of military in that profession too. Seemed worth it. JMHO...

Keep the land.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Out of curiosity, how long ago did your last one graduate?

We’re looking at 27K annually. That’s for Tech, about the cheapest 4-year school in Texas.

Unless your kid is a wizard or a savant send him to a community college first two years for 1/10 that price and get student loans.. Secondly.. Unless your kid is an engineer or a scientist there is no reason to send him to a big 4 year school. I graduated from a Division 2 A and M school and I make 6 figures.

Why is it so fucking important to people that their kids go to UT or Tech or A and M? As someone who does hiring in my department (engineering specifically) I do not give a shit if someone has a degree from UT or if its from San Angelo State western university. Do they know how a circuit works? Do they know the requirements for voltage regulation on parts etc etc.. STOP doing this,

Keep your damn land. It's literally more valuable than that kids education.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My eldest niece just graduated with honors last weekend from Texas A&M. Yes it was expensive for her to go. The younger niece is going to UT. Again, expensive. My brother and his wife started savings accounts for their college when they were born. You would be surprised at how much they had saved up for college in a little over 18 years of contributing to those savings accounts.

The elder one is planning on becoming a vet, and the younger one is planning on furthering her education with a law degree. Both applied themselves in school, and both were taking college courses all during high school. The elder one graduated 2nd in her class and the younger one, 3rd in her class in high school.

Point is, if a child is going to go to college, it's something that should be planned for, long before they graduate from high school. The money is just one factor, because grades and courses of study during high school are very important as well.

Sweetnsassytngal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Tennessee
    I was blessed most of my life with 360 acres of family-owned land in Jack County which I had mostly to myself.

I’ve never had to share a hunting lease in my 62-years on earth. Yes, call me spoiled.

That had to be sold off several years ago when my mother developed dementia.

I currently own 30 acres not too far from there, but I’m probably going to have to sell to send my son to college.

Which I guess would leave me looking for a lease. But I not only do I not know how to look for one, I don’t even know if a season lease would be worthwhile for me.

I don’t really enjoy deer hunting that much anymore. The only Texas hunting I truly enjoy are turkey, quail, and capping feral hogs with a pistol.

What would miss is being able to roam the brush with a handgun and popping hogs, or ambushing them occasionally (that’s the only “hunting” I do over a feeder), locating turkeys & calling in gobblers (sometimes coyotes & bobcats), or following a good dog in search of Bob whites. Pond fishing is definitely a plus.

If a season lease is a matter of “here’s your little corner to setup your stand & feeder”, count me out. I do keep feeders, but only for supplement, baiting hogs, and letting the youngsters get their feet wet taking their first doe.

So, after reading my life story there, what advice do you have for a Texas hunting lease virgin? Is a lease even suitable for my needs? If so, how do I go about finding one? My budget would be $5k annually.
    When my daughter went to MTSU, I paid the first year as much as I could to help her. Long story short. When they have to pay the loans back, they will be studying and not partying up their college days. It will help them grow up, and take on responsibility. Besides there is so many grants they can apply for before they even start the student loans. And, with the student loan forgiveness that is already in play. It is silly to spend your money that you would never get back.Plus….They are less likely to waste their own money when they will party it up, and nearly flunk out on yours. Just my experience. Good luck

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When my daughter went to MTSU, I paid the first year as much as I could to help her. Long story short. When they have to pay the loans back, they will be studying and not partying up their college days. It will help them grow up, and take on responsibility. Besides there is so many grants they can apply for before they even start the student loans. And, with the student loan forgiveness that is already in play. It is silly to spend your money that you would never get back.Plus….They are less likely to waste their own money when they will party it up, and nearly flunk out on yours. Just my experience. Good luck

Welcome to the Forum!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom