• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertba12

Sep 24, 2009
    Montgomery
    I am a newbie here, and wanted to get some advice on a S&W .357 for target or competition purposes. I have severl CC pistols of the auto and revolver type, so I wanted to try a larger frame revolver for target shooting.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    ARJ Defense ad

Amistad

Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    I am a newbie here, and wanted to get some advice on a S&W .357 for target or competition purposes. I have severl CC pistols of the auto and revolver type, so I wanted to try a larger frame revolver for target shooting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

A year or so ago, I bought my son-in-law a S&W 686+ with 6" barrel. (This is a seven shot .357 wheel gun.) He absolutely loves it. I've shot it also, and I concur that it is a very sweet shooter.

Amistad

robertba12

Sep 24, 2009
    Montgomery
    Thanks for the info. What is the + designation after the 686? I am looking forward to some "big-iron" after completing my smaller pistol purchases. It will be nice to shoot something more stable, fun to shoot, and can hit something that is more than 7yds away!

Amistad

Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    There are two versions of the S&W 686 .357 revolver. The 686 is the six-shot, while the 686 Plus is the seven-shot.

Before I bought the 686+ to give to my son-in-law, I purchased a Taurus 608 (an eight-shot .357) for my own enjoyment. With 1,700 rounds through it now, I feel that I made a great choice. Without question, my 608 has the sweetest trigger that I've ever encountered on a revolver. Absolutely fantastic!

Amistad

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the info. What is the + designation after the 686? I am looking forward to some "big-iron" after completing my smaller pistol purchases. It will be nice to shoot something more stable, fun to shoot, and can hit something that is more than 7yds away!

Do you mean 15 yards? 25 yards? 50, 100?

Most guns can put three inch groups at 25 yards, most shooters on the other hand. . . .

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I tend to agree w/the 686 suggestion....this is mine - it's purty much nuthin' left of the stock gun other than the frame - bobbed hammer, reworked trigger w/stop, reworked barrel w/compensator an' a swapped-out cylinder ta get rid of the flutes....but it WILL put 'em whar ya want 'em! Bought it in a weak moment, though - so sooner or later, she'll git sold more'n likely.
    100_0090.gif

robertba12

Sep 24, 2009
    Montgomery
    Thanks for the replies, I am thinking 25-50 yards. I have a good sample of other guns...1911, glocks, AR and other rilfles, smaller CC types, etc. Always like the wheel guns, but, never been a high priority until now....just something about them that says "old-school" and I like it.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think .38 Special out of the larger frame .357 Magnums would be best for target shooting. The .357 Magnum tends to make people flinch.

Top Bottom