TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Other holsters I've used and recommend:

Blade-Tech Nano IWB Holster

The Blade Tech Nano is one of my favorites. Very low profile, thin, comfortable, and made for a fairly large number of guns. Not purposefully designed as an appendix holster, however from what I've seen and heard from others, it appears that with a bit of modding to cant and rotate the gun in farther, that it can actually work fairly well.

Just got one of these for the Sig P232 and am liking it so far:

Appendix IWB Holster

Personally, I carry at 3:00 with a straight drop holster. I find that, for me at least, to be the next best thing after appendix carry. Would like to do appendix, but it seems that having much of a spare tire at all makes that extremely difficult. I'm working on that.

Appendix carry absolutely requires solid fundamentals, confidence, and discipline of a solid trigger finger index. It can be entirely safe, provided the shooter is safe. There are also things you can do when reholstering, such as rocking your hips back and leaning backwards a bit, which tends to cant the bottom of the holster outwards away from the body. Take your time, don't speed holster, and you better have a solid trigger finger index. As another instructor once said, "If you shoot yourself in the foot or blow your dick off, you've been warned." ;)

The other thing I think is really important is the holster mounting equipment. Leather loops or rubberized/reinforced loops tend to be considerably stronger than a lot of plastic/kydex clips. For example, the stock Comp Tac C clips absolutely SUCK. These are the stock clips that come on the MTAC, CTAC, and a number of their other holsters. Bending or twisting just a bit can easily pop these off the belt. Also, a lot of the thin metal clips (like on a majority of the holsters above and most other knock off hybrids) out there are very thin, easily bend, and easily lose their spring tension. There are some metal clips out there that are nearly twice as thick, made from spring steel instead of cheapo pot metal (or whatever it is), that have notches that actually grab clothing and prevent easy removal, etc. The metal clips on FIST holsters are a perfect example of a good quality clip.
    Texas SOT

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I have dozens of holsters laying around my house from trying different combinations over the years. What I keep coming back to everytime is a Crossbreed Supertuck worn at 4 o'clock. I carry either a H&K 45C or a Glock 31 in one all day, everyday. It's comfortable and it works.

Green Eye Tactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I am definitely leaning towards switching away from the AIWB because of the safety issue that comes with reholstering. The holster I have now is obviously made so that you have to remove it to reholster (for safety reasons). However, it's for that reason that I'd like to switch holsters so that it will be easier and safer for me to reholster. Again, this comes with the problem of concealment. So advice on other IWB holsters that work effectively for a skinny guy like myself would be appreciated.

What's your safety issue with appendix carry reholstering?

zenfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    I've carried for 42yrs and have had many holsters.. The Crossbreed is the most comfortable ever but don't put your $$$$ 1911 in one like I did for 4yrs.. I suggest buy a Sparks VM2 or one of the good copies that are actually available for a pretty gun.. I just bought a VM2 after learning my lesson and it's going to cost as much or more than the VM2 ($160) to get my frame and slide like new again..

Heres a copy that has great reviews.. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...-hand-1911-government-commander-leather-black

Last edited:

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    I've carried for 42yrs and have had many holsters.. The Crossbreed is the most comfortable ever but don't put your $$$$ 1911 in one like I did for 4yrs.. I suggest buy a Sparks VM2 or one of the good copies that are actually available for a pretty gun.. I just bought a VM2 after learning my lesson and it's going to cost as much or more than the VM2 ($160) to get my frame and slide like new again..

Heres a copy that has great reviews.. DeSantis Mad Max Tuckable Inside the Waistband Holster Right Hand 1911

So. You wore a high priced gun in a holster and experienced wear and it's the holsters fault? Maybe you should not carry a high priced gun if you don't want wear and tear on it. Just sayin.

texasboy90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    I guess I should've phrased that differently. It's really more of a comfort thing. I'm more comfortable with my gun being at my 3:00 or 4:00 over appendix carrying. I've decided to try out the MaxTuck holster from White Hat Holsters. It should be arriving in about 3 weeks. I've heard good things about them. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I went through lots of money when I first started carrying and learned what worked for me the hard way. I now use only Crossbreed for IWB carry. They are very comfortable and a great company to deal with. For OWB I have mostly Crossbreed holsters as well with a few random other mixed in. Just try a Crossbreed. If you do not like it send it back within 2 weeks!

zenfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    So. You wore a high priced gun in a holster and experienced wear and it's the holsters fault? Maybe you should not carry a high priced gun if you don't want wear and tear on it. Just sayin.

I like normal holster character wear on a blue or parked gun thats been in leather.. It's got a soft wear on the edges.. I would call the Kydex wear on stainless more of a galling in spots.. Just a friendly warning from a bad choice with a great holster .. Take it leave it..

I strongly suggest the Supertuck for Glocks,XDs and the like.. I really am a fan and have suggested them many times..

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    I like normal holster character wear on a blue or parked gun thats been in leather.. It's got a soft wear on the edges.. I would call the Kydex wear on stainless more of a galling in spots.. Just a friendly warning from a bad choice with a great holster .. Take it leave it..

I strongly suggest the Supertuck for Glocks,XDs and the like.. I really am a fan and have suggested them many times..

That makes much more sense.

Zencyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Huntsville
    I have to put in a vote for the Foxx hybrid. I carry a springfield xd 40 service model everyday and I forget its there. Very comfortable and very little print, I'm 5'11" 200 lbs and it disappears on me.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I'm fairly new to concealed carry. I'm looking for some advice on a good IWB holster. The problem is I am 6'0" 150lbs and as a result have had trouble finding holster that doesn't imprint. I currently carry a Glock 19 with an inexpensive appendix holster. Alamo Tactical | Minimalist | IWB Holster | Kydex | San Antonio
    It has proven to be a decent starter holster but after practicing my draw at the range, it has proven to be less functional than I would like (although about as functional as I would've expected for the price). I'm currently looking to replace this holster. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm in your exact predicament because I am also 6'0", 160lbs with a Glock 19. I was thinking about getting a crossbreed until one of my friends who is a long-time CHL showed me this website: https://aliengearholsters.com/.

Mine is still in the mail but when it comes in I'll let you know how it feels, conceals, and its durability.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If printing is still an issue, there are several factors to consider. You might want to look for a holster that has at least 1 or 2 additional methods of improving concealment. Two methods are either rotation or outboard cant.

What I mean by rotation is, some holsters are designed with some sort of "wedge" or other aid that rotates the entire holster inwards. This pulls the grip of the gun in and keeps the grip from hanging out and printing.

For outboard cant, there are a number of methods currently being used. The most common for several manufacturers is by adding some sort of wedge, pad, or other raised area on the bottom inside of the holster. This has the effect of basically pushing off of your leg/torso and forcing the bottom of the holster outboard, canting the top of the gun inboard. Here's an example of a few of these features:

JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster:

AIWBc.jpg

AIWBh.jpg

Keeper AIWB Holster:

7133400223_634d4b92ea.jpg

Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy AIWB:

HK45-wk2-Shaggy1.jpg

TheSnowMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2013
    Does anyone take any additional measures for getting into a car? If you are riding an AIWB do you just leave it there when you get in the car or do you take it out and make it easier to get to?

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I'm in your exact predicament because I am also 6'0", 160lbs with a Glock 19. I was thinking about getting a crossbreed until one of my friends who is a long-time CHL showed me this website: https://aliengearholsters.com/.

Mine is still in the mail but when it comes in I'll let you know how it feels, conceals, and its durability.

Post up your .02 on the holster, I'm thinking about buying one myself!

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Hey SR9TX, my holster came in today.

ypaja6ad.jpg

qe4etepu.jpg

I've been wearing around the house all day and I don't even know it's there. I highly recommend it.

Sent with mischievous intent

Top Bottom