• Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You would have to ask them...

It's their ass on the line,
    You suggested their ass was on the line..... As I said, I have done it a couple times, no big deal.

I don't disagree, however in my experience most people don't take too kindly when some Jonny Foreigner rocks up and tells you that they know your own country's laws better than the person who fills in the paperwork for a living does.

Welcome to the USA.....

Good luck find an FFL who knows what they are doing down in Austin I presume from your profile...You may have to go FTF. Easy to fool Texans with just a DL.

ShortAndSharp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2017
    Austin
    OT Warning

Just out of curiosity, what are you looking to purchase?

Well there's nothing in the law that specifies that you have to actually buy a hunting weapon or use it to actually hunt with, you just have to actually have a hunting license to overcome the Federal prohibition full stop.

I'm initially perhaps looking to purchase a Glock 19, as I've shot them several times at the range and and I'm comfortable with them when it comes to static target shooting (which is what I enjoy at the moment).

I would like to actually go hunting in due course, however I've not got enough experience with long guns or shotguns yet to be comfortable with purchasing one at the moment, although hopefully next year.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Keep your eye out for local range days on here. Not sure when the next time I'll get up that way but I'd be happy to bring up some rifles for you to play with.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have sold to non-immigrant aliens before. Have several as customers. But it has been several years. Last time I did, walmart mgrs had a conniption fit because they are clueless about most laws.
    IIRC-
    You would need you Texas ID with the current residence on it.
    Your INS card and number.
    I can't remember if it is 90 days or 6 months proof of residence. I believe it is 90 days though. Such as rent and utility bills.
    A valid Texas hunting license. If it is over 90 days old, that helps.
    Partly it depends on country of origin, but IIRC, one I sold to in Austin was South Korean.
    If you bought somewhere up around the Ft. Hood area, you would probably have better luck. There are several from European militaries here on long term assignment that own firearms. They just can't take them back with them when they go home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have sold to non-immigrant aliens before. Have several as customers. But it has been several years. Last time I did, walmart mgrs had a conniption fit because they are clueless about most laws.
    IIRC-
    You would need you Texas ID with the current residence on it.
    Your INS card and number.
    I can't remember if it is 90 days or 6 months proof of residence. I believe it is 90 days though. Such as rent and utility bills.
    A valid Texas hunting license. If it is over 90 days old, that helps.
    Partly it depends on country of origin, but IIRC, one I sold to in Austin was South Korean.
    If you bought somewhere up around the Ft. Hood area, you would probably have better luck. There are several from European militaries here on long term assignment that own firearms. They just can't take them back with them when they go home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

See post #14 as well as link below. The rules were changed. What you posted is well, walmart mgrs stuff.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61841/download

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Ok, doesn't need 90 days proof now. Good thing I'm not a manager, I can read and understand that. I've been off the last couple days and did not have a form to look at. Been 10 years since I had a sale to a nonimagrant. I do get out of state quite often. The rest is correct. If the OP is in Austin and they won't sell to him, I would suggest around FT Hood. There is a larger non-imagrant population that do own guns. They have to be getting at least some of them through a local store. I sell several hunting licenses each year for that purpose.

Edit: unlike the mgrs, I have ATF numbers on my phone. I I have a question, I call them. They are generally very helpful.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom