• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    This shotgun has been in our family almost 50 years and it's the most popular "plinking" shotgun we use. Problem with it is the carrier travels either too far down causing the shell entering the breech to move out of alignment and jam the mechanism, or it doesn't move far enough and jams against the shell as it's traveling out of the magazine.

I've taken the gun apart, cleaned everything, and inspected the parts. Doesn't appear to be any unusual wear. Has anyone encountered this kind of problem with this model shotgun? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!
    Guns International

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Those are extremely well built guns. I had one in the 60's as a kid and could keep a coffee can in the air all three shots, very smooth action. It's an all steel receiver and if I remember lots of the parts are machined rather then stamped. Check and make sure there are no very small burrs anwhere inside the action and carrier parts. I don't have a breakdown diagram, I used to but check to make sure no small part is missing. If you find a small piece of metal worn, or broke off just find someone with a wire welder and shoot a spot of metal on it file/sand.

They are great guns, way understated. Mine had the cutts comp on it and power pistons (new at the time) would spew out the vent holes like a badmitton shuttlecock. I will see if I can find my breakdown on that gun and see if I can find anything from here. I have been thinking of buying another, just for the memories.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    That gun is a High Standard Model 200 that was sold under the J.C. Higgins brand for Sears. Even in good condition, the gun's only worth about $100., so you might not want to spend a lot fixing it.

Numrich (Numrich Gun Parts Corporation) has parts for it. You can search their site and replace things.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Those are extremely well built guns. I had one in the 60's as a kid and could keep a coffee can in the air all three shots, very smooth action. It's an all steel receiver and if I remember lots of the parts are machined rather then stamped. Check and make sure there are no very small burrs anwhere inside the action and carrier parts. I don't have a breakdown diagram, I used to but check to make sure no small part is missing. If you find a small piece of metal worn, or broke off just find someone with a wire welder and shoot a spot of metal on it file/sand.

It had been so long that I'd lost the original manual, so I did a Google search and was able to download the manual including the breakdown diagram. I didn't find any faults with the parts and only minor fouling by dirt/grime. I've cleaned it up and will reassemble it today, but due to schedule I may not be able to take it out and test fire it for some weeks.

That gun is a High Standard Model 200 that was sold under the J.C. Higgins brand for Sears. Even in good condition, the gun's only worth about $100., so you might not want to spend a lot fixing it.

Thank you for the link, much appreciated! I know what you mean about spending a lot to fix the gun. The actual value of the shotgun is low, but the sentimental value is high. As long as I can fix it myself I'll keep it functioning, but I'd retire the weapon and keep it for sentimental reasons if I have to.

BTW, thanks to both you guys for your responses!

Top Bottom