• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illixir

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Colorado City
    i have a little bit of a mind bender here. i will be traveling across the state this weekend and want to carry my gun on me durring the trip. here is the thing....i will not be the driver and i will not be the owner of the car, nor will i have my chl. i am waiting on my permit, but i would rather have my gun on this trip. advice would be greatly appreciated!!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you are traveling, penal code 46.02 does not apply to you. That means the law that prohibits you from having a handgun on or about your person does not apply. The problem is traveling is not defined. Some folks will talk about crossing 3 counties, or spending the night, but I have never seen that case law.

What I have seen is case law that says that a trier of fact can determine if you are a traveler, meaning a LEO can arrest you and you can establish in court that you were were actually a traveler.

If you do not carry the handgun on or about your person, then it matters not. So lock it in the trunk when in the car...........

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Beat me to it. My thought would be if it's not accessible to you (on or about your person as TXI said) such as in the trunk, it would be OK. But..............I'm not a lawyer or cop so what I tell you isn't gonna' mean doodly if you get pulled over!

Top Bottom