• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starcap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Sunset,TX
    I am a widow selling husband's guns. My problem is I offered a 1921 Astra 400 for $500 to a new maintenance man at work. Now I am regretting it. He seems immature and something doesn't feel right. I am not prejudice, but he is from Mexico and my son says hes just different. His personality makes me nervous. I don't think he understands guns very well from the way he talks and says he wants to ride his horse and shoot a 30 30 like cowboy and Indians. Do I just draw up a bill of sale and take a drivers license number?
    Hard to explain my dilemma. Any advice is appreciated.
    ARJ Defense ad

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Generally, if you feel any apprehension, most around here would not go through with the sale. If feelings get hurt, so be it.

Others will be along shortly to explain about the worthlessness of a bill of sale.

Welcome to the forum.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Sorry for your loss ma'am.

If you feel like backing out, then back out.
    He may not be able to legally own a firearm anyway.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Don't sell it to him if you feel uneasy about it. Period.

If you need help with values ask a trusted friend. If that doesn't exist then ask here. We are glad to help.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Welcome to TGT. All of the above is good advice from good people. Bill of Sale is worthless.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If you need a "candy coated" excuse to give him, tell him your son decided he wants to keep the guns for sentimental reasons. Anyone would understand that.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    You could require the sale be done through an FFL. (Gun Store) That will cost you around $25 (you can ask the buyer to pay that or split it) They will have him fill out the required 4473 form and do a phoned in NICS background check. That will at least insure he is completely legit. If your just worried about how he will use the gun, then pass. You can list the gun at no charge on Texas Gun Trader website, and if you price it right, it should sell.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ma'm.....if the buyer is from Mexico, he might not even be able to legally purchase a gun! Don't know where you are located, but if you'd like, PM me with your location and I will give you some names of folks/shops you could talk to that will treat you fairly.

That Astra COULD be worth up to $700 (possibly even more) if there's certain conditions met. More importantly, you're not familiar with gun laws - and THAT could get you into more trouble than anything else. So, if you'd like, email or message me (I'll try to email you, as well), and we'll make sure that you get a fair price AND engage in a legal transaction.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    When in doubt just say NO.

When you say this guy is from Mexico, do you mean permanent legal US resident (i.e. green card visa) or naturalized US citizen who emigrated from Mexico?

Sell a gun to an "immigrant" who is neither and it's a felony for both parties.

There's enough bad vibes here to just refuse the sale, if it was me.

Another route is to bring the guns to a dealer who does consignment sales. They'll get a small fee 10-15% of the sale price but they are required by law to run a BG check on the purchaser. You would be legally covered if a bad guy somehow got ahold of it with a federally licensed dealer as the middleman.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I was always taught to follow your gut, if this man gives you a "Bad" feeling then back out the sale, YOU CAN REFUSE ANY gun sale you want. There's certain legal issues you can get into if he does something unsafe with said firearm. You don't know if its a straw sale or not, either way its better that a gun does not end up in the wrong hands. If you're looking to sell it due to need of cash, I'm sure a few of the fellas/ ladies can get it off your hands real quick. good luck, god bless =)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Starcap, the gentleman who goes by TEXASREDNECK will treat you right & not take advantage of you, you can rest assured!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Starcap, welcome to the forum. Condolences to you and your family for your loss.

The advise you have been given so far is right on the money. I will also echo always trust your gut. If you are having second thoughts, heed them.

The advise below is a very good method you may use. I am off line real person friends with Navyguy and MrsNavy and he would not steer you wrong:

You could require the sale be done through an FFL. (Gun Store) That will cost you around $25 (you can ask the buyer to pay that or split it) They will have him fill out the required 4473 form and do a phoned in NICS background check. That will at least insure he is completely legit. If your just worried about how he will use the gun, then pass. You can list the gun at no charge on Texas Gun Trader website, and if you price it right, it should sell.

Secondly, I'd take TR up on his offer to contact him. I also know TexasRedneck personally and he is a very good resource to have on any business dealing with firearms. Mighty fine gentleman too. Have no reservations calling or emailing him.

Ma'm.....if the buyer is from Mexico, he might not even be able to legally purchase a gun! Don't know where you are located, but if you'd like, PM me with your location and I will give you some names of folks/shops you could talk to that will treat you fairly.

That Astra COULD be worth up to $700 (possibly even more) if there's certain conditions met. More importantly, you're not familiar with gun laws - and THAT could get you into more trouble than anything else. So, if you'd like, email or message me (I'll try to email you, as well), and we'll make sure that you get a fair price AND engage in a legal transaction.

Overall, a combination of both suggestions and you will be handling this or any further transactions like a pro. Any other questions, just ask.

Top Bottom