• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Walking sticks are manly. I finally found a real bark on blackthorne with bent handle after years of seeking. The metal adjustable ones disgust me. Never felt comfortable with a laminated wood one either. Had a nice vintage Malacca years ago when they really were available in 'old stuff' stores. It got stolen back in VA/DC when I worked for DOD. Still have my real Irish shepard's crook from the 80s when I want to style walking the Greenway. Some bamboo staves too. Always liked sticks. Kinda biblical and all. Colin Fletcher was a hero of mine, just fyi...

I hear ya. It's just annoying as hell when I need both hands for something.
    Texas SOT

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    That's why I finally went from a knob to a bent so I could hook it over my arm of something. I always did like the brass carriage knob sticks. Just too heavy for me though.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That's why I finally went from a knob to a bent so I could hook it over my arm of something. I always did like the brass carriage knob sticks. Just too heavy for me though.

Yeah, I went the other way - the knob is so much more comfortable. Plus the whole "can be used to crush a skull" factor.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I live in a relatively dry climate. Best cream I have ever used is O’Keeffe’s Working Hands. I bad cracking of both heels and fingers. They make one for feet, but I just use the green container for hands on everything. I had tried all sorts of lotions and salves with no luck. An electrical sub turned me on to this. Not too greasy either. Works for me and my wife. Found at Lowes, Home Depot or Tractor Supply.

Last edited:

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Dremel. My wife talked me into a pedicure. Why not? I’ll try anything once. Well, maybe not anything but beets and a pedicure I’m willing to try. Well the pedicure lady took out the cheese grater file on my feet, an even used a dremel. No chit. On the big toe nails too because they were thick.

Back to the other stuff.. I get a random hair like 2” long on an ear lobe as well as a long straggler on the inside of my biceps where there is no other hair. I suppose when the time comes that I get a garden coming from my ear canal, I’ll just give up plucking that chit. I’ve only had one skin tag, and I pulled it off. Fuq that hurt and would not stop bleeding. I have a scar from that.

I used to visit a Podiatrist that 'tuned up' my feet every few weeks. He used a low-speed Dremel-type tool to shape toenails.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Walking sticks are manly. I finally found a real bark on blackthorne with bent handle after years of seeking. The metal adjustable ones disgust me. Never felt comfortable with a laminated wood one either. Had a nice vintage Malacca years ago when they really were available in 'old stuff' stores. It got stolen back in VA/DC when I worked for DOD. Still have my real Irish shepard's crook from the 80s when I want to style walking the Greenway. Some bamboo staves too. Always liked sticks. Kinda biblical and all. Colin Fletcher was a hero of mine, just fyi...
    I have a very stylish Blackthorne with sliver mounting antler. It would be great to cane someone with, but sucks as a cane.

I read the shepherd crook is really the best for ones grip/hold on the cane. When I bought mine it was meant for livestock as it did not have the rubber boot on it.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    After reading this thread, I’m hungry!

NOT!

My damn ears crack and bleed right where they connect to my head! And I have to put antiseptic salve on my earlobes or they look like dried up pieces of leather.

And let’s not talk about my gnarly toenails. With my back, I cannot bend over to clip my own toenails.

Getting old ain’t fun, but I thank the Lord I have the chance to experience it
    Yours sure sounds like a hydration issue.
    Are you drinking 8 glasses of water per day?
    I don't , and to make things worse. I drink lots of coffee. Does not count towards your water quota.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Besides the aches & pain there is crap like dried cracked heels. Sure the cheese grater takes care of it but who do you mail the powder dead sking to? Skin tags and in some really stupid places. The one in my left arm pit I that was a gob of deodorant at first. Crusty elbows with one worst then the other, at least they don't crack like my heels.

Itchy ass dried out calves, but I have getting that for ever. Not sure, but my feet get these tiny dried out dots, gotta be mini warts. Ingrown hairs, carbuncle, frunkles & boils. Got turned onto this black tar ointment that with draw the nastiest ingrown hairs. You know the ones that get infected the fill with some funky blood, puss & tissue fluids.
    Sounds to me like you got it pretty good. Things could be much worse.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Amazon sells the gargantuan clippers.

SZQHT 15mm Wide Jaw Opening Nail Clippers for Thick Nails,Finger Nail Clippers for Ingrown Toenail Clippers for Men,Tough Nails, Seniors, Adults.Deluxe Sturdy Stainless Steel Big(Silver) https://a.co/d/dQ4fzki
    Nails are much easer to trim when they are wet & soft from a bath or shower. Podiatrists can be a big help.

Elders usually get arthritis, which makes everything more difficult and much slower. Water pump pliers ae handy in the kitchen.

Thin skin on backs of hands is more susceptible to cuts, tears, & bruises. Wash them promptly with soap & warm water, dry, & apply a bandaid.

Those of us who spent our youth in the sun get those little skin cancers. Don’t wait to see about those.

”Old Age is NOT for Sissies !”

leVieux

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    When my hands have been so dry and cracked to bleeding I slathered the original Eucerin on them, thick, and put on nitrile or such gloves before bed. Waking up the next morning taking off the gloves the Eucerin was gone and hands were healed.

An old RN taught me that trick.

Thanks mom.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Canewise, I have one purpleheart with a large warthog tusk for a handle and one that is a gemsbok horn topped with a warthog tusk.

Everyday use was a stockman’s crook.

Each would do damage.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I use goat soap for showering, my dermatologist says I have nice skin. Soap can be purchased at Walgreens. My one complaint is my thin skin, I can bruise my hand just from reaching in my pocket.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom