• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I will be getting my special order SIG 556 Classic rifle this coming January and am interested in getting an affordable red dot or scope. What are people suggestions. I am more interested in hearing from current SIG 556 Classic owners.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    You're going to have to define affordable.

With respect to RDS vs scope, it'd be helpful to know your intended use for the rifle. Whatever that use is, if it includes punching paper at 100 yards or more, a magnified optic can be a lot more enjoyable. But if it's primary use is personal defense, an RDS would be more suitable.

What do you think is unique enough about the Sig 556 Classic that makes the advice of non-owners less helpful?

Last edited:

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    You're going to have to define affordable.

With respect to RDS vs scope, it'd be helpful to know your intended use for the rifle. Whatever that use is, if it includes punching paper at 100 yards or more, a magnified optic can be a lot more enjoyable. But if it's primary use is personal defense, an RDS would be more suitable.

What do you think is unique enough about the Sig 556 Classic that makes the advice of non-owners less helpful?

I have never handled this rifle and do not know too much about it although I have several AR's. This rifle is going to be given to me by my employer as a commemorative for time in service and it will have the employer logo on it. I would most likely use it for patrolling my property as I have had poachers and trespassers come into my land and steal my hog traps. I would also like to use it for some good hog hunts.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A decent 1-4X scope can't be beat as an all-around optic. Burris Tac 30 is a good lower-end model, and I'm completely in love with my Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X. Dual illumination for the win! :D

Whatever you go with, make sure you use good mounts. They're almost more important to a good scope setup than the glass itself.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    A decent 1-4X scope can't be beat as an all-around optic. Burris Tac 30 is a good lower-end model, and I'm completely in love with my Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X. Dual illumination for the win! :D

Whatever you go with, make sure you use good mounts. They're almost more important to a good scope setup than the glass itself.

I agree with the Burris 1-4 but I don't agree with the label "..lower-end model". Burris makes very good to great scopes in the US that have a no BS lifetime warranty. I had a 1.5 - 6 EuroDiamond illuminated rectical on a Burris years ago and it was fantastic. A great close-up or 100+ yd. gun.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I agree with the Burris 1-4 but I don't agree with the label "..lower-end model". Burris makes very good to great scopes in the US that have a no BS lifetime warranty. I had a 1.5 - 6 EuroDiamond illuminated rectical on a Burris years ago and it was fantastic. A great close-up or 100+ yd. gun.

I only call it that after playing with scopes even lower-end than it and deciding that they're not really worth wasting time and money on.

Buy once, cry once.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have never handled this rifle and do not know too much about it although I have several AR's. This rifle is going to be given to me by my employer as a commemorative for time in service and it will have the employer logo on it. I would most likely use it for patrolling my property as I have had poachers and trespassers come into my land and steal my hog traps. I would also like to use it for some good hog hunts.

Then defintiely a 1-4x, in my opinion. Now, again, what is your definition of affordable?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I would say a lot lesser than the Trijicon or Aimpoint prices.

Then i'd second the vote for a Burris Tac30. I have one, along with a couple other more expensive 1-4x illuminated scopes, and it is definitely a great scope for the price.

ad5md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Another vote for the Burris Tac30. I have mine on a Stag Arms model 3 using the Burris PEPR mount. Glass is clear and reticle is nice (can be illuminated if you need to). Shot steel poppers @160 yds with 1 round each on a local carbine match yesterday. Works feally good for me

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Leupold vx-hog 1-4x20mm; they go for about $230... I have one on a lever gun and wouldn't hesitate to get one for an AR or similar carbine. Excellent quality for the money. I really like the modified German #4 reticle they have, too.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    Leupold vx-hog 1-4x20mm; they go for about $230... I have one on a lever gun and wouldn't hesitate to get one for an AR or similar carbine. Excellent quality for the money. I really like the modified German #4 reticle they have, too.

I thought the VX-Hog scopes came with the "Pig Plex" reticle...?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I thought the VX-Hog scopes came with the "Pig Plex" reticle...?
    Yep... looks a lot like a #4 with a little circle in the middle and fine stadia lines. Feels very "quick" to my eye, but that's pretty subjective.

dsc00112-tfb.jpg

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

I have shot with that scope (as well as my own Pig Plex VX-R, which is quite a bit more $), and agree that the VX-Hog is another great option.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I only call it that after playing with scopes even lower-end than it and deciding that they're not really worth wasting time and money on.

Buy once, cry once.

While I do agree with buy one cry once. The MTAC is def recommended a lot in the 3 gun world bc of it's value. If your gonna spend the money on a Accupoint might as well pony up and spend a little more for a 1-6 or go with Meopta. IMO the reticle on the MTAC is more useful than the triangle on a Accupoint.

OP you may want to look into a Burris 1.5-6x depending on your needs

Last edited:

Miloe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    I was just about to mention the Primary Arms one and ask if anyone had any hands on time with it.
    Well, anyone?

Top Bottom