Guns International

Ah crap... Navy yard shooting. 10 hit, not sure how many dead.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I obviously don't know what is involved, but I would think "boot camp" training would be enough, I guess I am wrong though.
    Venture Surplus ad

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    From - Instapundit » Blog Archive » SO THAT PUTZ ERIC BOEHLERT WAS ON TWITTER TRYING TO PRETEND THAT ONLY POLICE HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH?

SO THAT PUTZ ERIC BOEHLERT WAS ON TWITTER TRYING TO PRETEND THAT ONLY POLICE HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH BRINGING DOWN THE TEXAS BELL TOWER SHOOTER. Here’s an excerpt from an article in Esquire that shows otherwise:

No one knew what time it was anymore. It was simply gunfire, screams, and the heat of midday. “What the hell to do?” Martinez remembers thinking. “I figured the source was up in the tower–I’d better get up there.”
    Meanwhile, Houston McCoy ferried another student to get guns and ammunition. After the first fifteen minutes, the sniper was pinned down by students and other civilians who’d spontaneously flocked to the university area with deer rifles. McCoy then found a university employee who knew the tunnels of the campus, and he plodded through them, with his shotgun off safety, to the tower. The sniper had been killing for more than an hour now.
    Reality slammed into Martinez as he rode the elevator up to the twenty-seventh floor of the tower, one floor below the deck where the shooting was coming from. As the numbers rose during the climb, he said the Act of Contrition. He figured there would be a police assault unit of some kind on top and he would join it. Instead, he found Officer Jerry Day, bookstore manager Allen Crum, and bodies mangled by whoever had taken over the tower. “I didn’t know it was just us chickens,” he says. Day was busy attending to a man whose family–tourists taking in the vista that day–had been shot to pieces and who now moaned and bled on the stairwell going up to the top. At the same time, Houston boarded the elevator and rode up with his shotgun ready at his shoulder. When the door opened, he was facing the gun of Jerry Day, and both men slowly lowered their weapons. Meanwhile, Ramiro had gone up with Crum to the office just off the tower platform. Crum had been deputized by Martinez and given a rifle. Houston got to the top just as Ramiro banged open the blocked door to the deck and slipped out. A gangway laced around the tower, just under the clock. Houston told Crum to cover one direction with a rifle and slipped out behind Martinez.

Compare that to this story from the America of 2013: ‘If We Had the Ammunition, We Could’ve Cleared that Building,’ Son at Navy Yard Told Dad. “My son was at Marine Barracks — at the Navy Yard yesterday – and they had weapons with them, but they didn’t have ammunition. And they said, ‘We were trained, and if we had the ammunition, we could’ve cleared that building.’ Only three people had been shot at that time, and they could’ve stopped the rest of it.” So, basically, the civilians of Austin, Texas in 1966 were better prepared to respond to a shooter than the Marines of 2013.
    Ironically, if Media Matters’ David Brock had been there, his illegal-Glock-toting bodyguard might have been of use. But probably not . . . .
    UPDATE: Reader Sean Malloy writes: “To be fair, in 1966, Austin was still a part of Texas. It’s not anymore.” Fair point.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    I obviously don't know what is involved, but I would think "boot camp" training would be enough, I guess I am wrong though.

You would be surprised, I took an Army friend of mine to the range. He was involved in some combat in Afghanistan so I figured he can shoot right? Wrong. While I didn't have to teach him a lot I did have to teach him some stuff.

Point being some folks qualify and won't shoot again for an extended period of time.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Is the ratio still 7:1 support to army grunts? In Vietnam the Corps had a 5:1 ratio. It was called the tail of the dragon. I hear they lived good.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County

Basic training weapons training was one day. We shot the M-16, disassembled it, cleaned it, reassembled it, and didn't touch a firearm until we did it again the next year. They wouldn't allow us to have guns on base. Any personal guns we owned had to be kept at the base armory. Basically, we were not allowed near guns except to qualify once a year. My job was fixing jets on the fllightline. The flightline was guarded by police 24/7, but their guns were unloaded most of the time.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Basic training weapons training was one day. We shot the M-16, disassembled it, cleaned it, reassembled it, and didn't touch a firearm until we did it again the next year. They wouldn't allow us to have guns on base. Any personal guns we owned had to be kept at the base armory. Basically, we were not allowed near guns except to qualify once a year. My job was fixing jets on the fllightline. The flightline was guarded by police 24/7, but their guns were unloaded most of the time.

That's just ridiculous...

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I saw on the Today show this morning a rendering of how this played out. Although saying it was a shotgun the modeled guy was holding an AR style gun in the model. (I guess they did not have a shotgun block to insert into the model)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I saw on the Today show this morning a rendering of how this played out. Although saying it was a shotgun the modeled guy was holding an AR style gun in the model. (I guess they did not have a shotgun block to insert into the model)

Good Morning America finally had the shotgun in theirs yesterday, so of course if Today wanted to show it correctly they could have.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    That's just ridiculous...

I'm not gonna publicly go into specifics, but you would be surprised how often guards aren't allowed any rounds. Up to a certain THREATCON, the guns are purely there as a way to ward off amature intruders. I heard that was another issue they had with this shooting.

Top Bottom