• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I can't wait to get my AR. I've been wanting one for quite a while, but just never was able to afford one, finally found one I could afford and jumped on it while I had the chance. Just waiting for it to arrive so I can pick it up.
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think I need that book to. After I read the basic needs of a fighting rifle, I've decided that I want a chrome chamber/barrel, and a full feed ramp (?) I'm not sure that is the right terminology, but I want something that I can fight with if I have to.

Chrome chamber/barrel is great - it cuts down on wear and will prevent (or at least inhibit) corrosion, not that you're likely to find corrosive 5.56 or .223 in this day and age. It also cleans soooo easy, and cuts down on fouling. I clean my go-to AK on literally a yearly basis, no matter how much I shoot it, and it's always two or three pulls on a Bore Snake and I'm done with the barrel. Insist on a rifle that is rated for 5.56, be it a 5.56 NATO chamber, Wylde chamber, or something similar (a couple AR manufacturers claim to have their own "special" way of cutting a chamber to eat both .223 and 5.56)

As far as the feed ramps, I'm guessing you've heard of the M4 feed ramps where they're extended into the receiver (standard style is only cut into the barrel extension). They're designed for high-rate full auto fire. Could they, theoretically be better for someone running a semi-auto rifle through maybe 200 rounds in a sitting? Yeah, theoretically. But realistically I think you'll get just as much benefit from them as you would from a gas piston upper - no real benefit.

Funny enough, the gas piston systems for the AR came around for the same reason as the M4-style feed ramps - to solve issues with high volume, high-rate full-auto users. For anybody who isn't blasting half a case through their rifle on full auto, these features aren't really terribly useful IMO.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Thanks for the info M. Sage.
    I fell pray to the temptations of man and handled one of these yesterday at Academy. [url]http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=SW-311000[/URL] OOOOOO My wife was mad But after I told her I wouldn't be buying an HD shot gun if I got the rifle, She might come around. LOL! I'm thinking my tax return. But I think this rifle has everything I want in an AR. The removable A3 carry handle, the chrome chamber and barrel, and the short carbine size. I'm as giddy as a school girl now tho I want it now!!!!!!! I have a fever damn it I need the medicine!

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I am curing my Black Rifle fetish with a new M4 from Spikes Tactical.

Spikes is selling their complete ST-15 for 950 bucks and it has all the "checks" on the AR Chart that Colt, LMt and Noveske have....yes..all the bells an whistles....for alot less money and a lifetime warranty.

Why blow more for the 1200-1400 dollar ARs?

Check it out...

[url]http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=59[/URL]

Thats a "correct" spec AR for what you'd pay for a locally bought DPMS, Bushy or Stag that does NOT have all the correct mil-spec features.

...food for thought.

- Brickboy240

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Yes, and the M&P is alot like the Stag in the fact that it is missing M4 feedramps, parkerizing under the front sight base, 4150 steel barrel an properly staked gas key screws.

The Spikes Tactical M4 has all true mil-spec features of the Colt 6920 rifle and most lower tier ARs like the M&P, Stag, Bushy and DPMS do NOT have all of these features. Sure, the Bushmaster and Stag brochures SAY their guns are mil-spec but do the research and ask the experts and they'll show you that they are NOT truly mil-spec like Colt, LMT or Noveske ARs.

This may or may not matter to you, depending on your use, but if you can have ALL the features of the 1400 dollar Colt at the price of the lower tier ARs...why not? Lifetime warranty just like the Stag and Rock River guns, too.

Check out Spikes Tactical...I have done gobs of research and these guys make really nice stuff and its on par with ARs that sell for alot more. Call them - they are really nice people and will answer any questions.

I was going to buy a Stag, Bushy or maybe Rock River until I started reasearching and reading and found Spikes Tactical. Why not have the "correct" features if the cost is similar?

- brickboy240

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm not ruleing them out by any means. I'm not sure what the pros to the gas piston is or really what that means, I'm not to knowledgeable about this kind of gun. I want something that is reliable and fairly accurate, and I hear the M&P's are. I haven't set anything in stone I'm still trying to learn.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I was not too knowledgeable on ARs either but I read like mad and came to the conclusion that Spikes ARs had the most features for the money.

Go to m4carbine.net and read up on their forum. there are tons of good articles and posts by operators, SWAT guys and others that use the daylights out of these rifles and know what they're talking about.

If you read up on them, you'll find that just because Stag or Bushy's brochure SAYS their ARs are mil-spec...they certainly are NOT up to the features of the Colt military issue rifle.

Another company you might want to research is Bravo Company Manufacturing. I looked hard at these, before finding the same features in the Spikes AR for 150 bucks less.

Good luck...theres alot to learn before you buy one of these rifles...whew!

- brickboy240

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Brick, you have been drinking the same Koolaid I have been drinking. M4Carbine.net is full of great info, without a lot of attitude (for the most part). I am highly sold on BCM, but my next AR upper is going to come from AR Performance.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    What I bought .308 DPMS Love it shoots like a .22 rifle. Paid 1600 stole it with the scope. Extreme tactical 3x12 with 50 lense and illuminated optics and better stock I think its called a Mag something
    dpms_lrt-sass.jpg

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Big Country I wish u could shoot this gun because once u did u would go .308. I know ammo is more but its so easy to shoot its funny. My 10 year old shot 1 inch groups at 200 yards and he hates recoil.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    SW-811000_lg.jpg

How's that for safety scissors D?
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's txsut what is up. has anyone out there shot an M&P 15? How's it shoot lots of jams or smooth?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's txsut what is up. has anyone out there shot an M&P 15? How's it shoot lots of jams or smooth?

Not much Big C, what's up witchu? LOL

I have put at least 200 rounds through a friend's M&P with all sorts of ammo, not a hiccup. He's fired at least 1,000 more with no problems whatsoever.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I got the cure for your fever, brother.... Get an AR-15 in 6.8mm

It's all that and a 7 Layer Burrito, amigo.

DOn't listen to all the coming threads talking about how expensive the ammo is...cuz it's no worse than 5.56/.223 and if you reload its a mute point.

I shoot my 6.8mm for my firearms courses and reload/buy in bulk. The cost differential is negligible.

It has crazy knock down power and the recoil is very manageable.

Buy it and be prepared for it to vault you into the next phase of your addiction.

Top Bottom