Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by Big country, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I had the transmission rebuilt in my 2003 Pathfinder. It was a warranty claim in my mothers name and the shop offered to rebuild it instead of the warenty company putting a "salvage yard" tyranny in it for an extra $800-$900. Well against my wishes she did it. Now I picked it up last Saturday and the it was great to have my car back. I was taking it to the wal mart after work the tranny slipped again so I take it in and he tells me that I need a tune up and that I have a cylinder missing but the tranny was running fine. Well I went on about my marry way and yesterday (8/10/09) I get in my SUV to go home from work and the tranny will not engage in drive or 2nd so I put it in 1st and I manage a slow crawl. I park it and call the transmission shop, I get told that they will call me back in 5 or 10 minutes that was at 1705 so I called back at 1730 and informed them that I was in fact stuck in a parking lot. They give a tow truck company my number and they will come pick me up. So they do and I go to the shop and my ride comes and brings me m,y loaner car, AKA my mothers car And she is driving one of my Grandparents cars. I Am going nuts over this damn transmission! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There are few people that seem to get rebuilding a transmission correct.

3. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Holy Crap! First it's the federal government, now Salvage Yard Tyranny!!! I'm moving to New Zealand!

4. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    And that is why I will only own a standard transmission vehicle. If it breaks, it is only about 600 to rebuild and it will be better than it was when it drove off the lot new.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Parts Changers here, Parts Changers there, Parts Changers everywhere. I wish public flogging would make a come back, lol.

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think the next car I get will be a truck and likely a standard.
    Fo sho!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    My money is on the fact that they "rebuilt" it.

What exactly did they detail as "rebuilding"? And what exactly did they not do? "Rebuild" sounds good, but what does it mean? :mad:

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That is what I've been asking! No one tells me anything. But this is all changing now because I have made it very known that I will go and talk to the shop when it's pick up the car time and I have some questions I would like answered. My mother is just saying okay go, to everything and I think she is getting the smoke blown her way.

9. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Pathfinder tranny blues

Well, if you are the mechanical type, you can check your transmission fluid level and linkage from the shifter to the selector shaft. But it sounds to me like a typical auto trans rebuild. About 90% of transmission shops don't ever fully rebuild a transmission nor do they ever replace anything but clutches and soft parts. If your transmission had a solenoid problem(controls gear shifting) or a torque converter(liquid clutch) problem it was probably never addressed. If you're lucky, it's under warranty and they might actually try to fix it right this time.:gotme:

10. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Dam Big C!!!!
    Yep many warranty co. will opt for LKQ (Like, Kind and Quality - ie:used) parts near the end of the contract.
    The sad thing is now your stuck with a LKQ part.
    Your only hope now is the place they got the LKQ part from is a good supplier and repairs the unit at that repair facility other than sending in another.
    We seldom send in LKQ transmissions for this very reason.
    When a tranny sits for an extended period the seals and clutches dry out and get hard. When the unit is reinstalled, if a fluid modifier and conditioner is not added they don't last long in most cases.
    Good luck.
    If you need a good source let me know. I got suppleirs that stand behind everything they sell.
    These are the cream of the crop when it comes to LKQ suppiers.