• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I had the transmission rebuilt in my 2003 Pathfinder. It was a warranty claim in my mothers name and the shop offered to rebuild it instead of the warenty company putting a "salvage yard" tyranny in it for an extra $800-$900. Well against my wishes she did it. Now I picked it up last Saturday and the it was great to have my car back. I was taking it to the wal mart after work the tranny slipped again so I take it in and he tells me that I need a tune up and that I have a cylinder missing but the tranny was running fine. Well I went on about my marry way and yesterday (8/10/09) I get in my SUV to go home from work and the tranny will not engage in drive or 2nd so I put it in 1st and I manage a slow crawl. I park it and call the transmission shop, I get told that they will call me back in 5 or 10 minutes that was at 1705 so I called back at 1730 and informed them that I was in fact stuck in a parking lot. They give a tow truck company my number and they will come pick me up. So they do and I go to the shop and my ride comes and brings me m,y loaner car, AKA my mothers car And she is driving one of my Grandparents cars. I Am going nuts over this damn transmission! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    Guns International

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    And that is why I will only own a standard transmission vehicle. If it breaks, it is only about 600 to rebuild and it will be better than it was when it drove off the lot new.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    And that is why I will only own a standard transmission vehicle. If it breaks, it is only about 600 to rebuild and it will be better than it was when it drove off the lot new.
    I think the next car I get will be a truck and likely a standard.
    Parts Changers here, Parts Changers there, Parts Changers everywhere. I wish public flogging would make a come back, lol.
    Fo sho!!!!!!!!!!!!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    My money is on the fact that they "rebuilt" it.

What exactly did they detail as "rebuilding"? And what exactly did they not do? "Rebuild" sounds good, but what does it mean? :mad:

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    My money is on the fact that they "rebuilt" it.

What exactly did they detail as "rebuilding"? And what exactly did they not do? "Rebuild" sounds good, but what does it mean? :mad:
    That is what I've been asking! No one tells me anything. But this is all changing now because I have made it very known that I will go and talk to the shop when it's pick up the car time and I have some questions I would like answered. My mother is just saying okay go, to everything and I think she is getting the smoke blown her way.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Pathfinder tranny blues

Well, if you are the mechanical type, you can check your transmission fluid level and linkage from the shifter to the selector shaft. But it sounds to me like a typical auto trans rebuild. About 90% of transmission shops don't ever fully rebuild a transmission nor do they ever replace anything but clutches and soft parts. If your transmission had a solenoid problem(controls gear shifting) or a torque converter(liquid clutch) problem it was probably never addressed. If you're lucky, it's under warranty and they might actually try to fix it right this time.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Dam Big C!!!!
    Yep many warranty co. will opt for LKQ (Like, Kind and Quality - ie:used) parts near the end of the contract.
    The sad thing is now your stuck with a LKQ part.
    Your only hope now is the place they got the LKQ part from is a good supplier and repairs the unit at that repair facility other than sending in another.
    We seldom send in LKQ transmissions for this very reason.
    When a tranny sits for an extended period the seals and clutches dry out and get hard. When the unit is reinstalled, if a fluid modifier and conditioner is not added they don't last long in most cases.
    Good luck.
    If you need a good source let me know. I got suppleirs that stand behind everything they sell.
    These are the cream of the crop when it comes to LKQ suppiers.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    No now I'm stuck with the transmission shop's warranty and I think that they are doing a shitty job of making me happy. My mother paid extra for this! And if they get it fixed I might just have to give the car back to the bank and call it their head ache from now on.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Well the guy said he rebuilt everything valve body's???? bands clutch and converter solenoids the whole shebang. Now he said there is a little leak somewhere and that I wouldn't notice any pools of fluid on the ground from a little leak. This sounds like french to me As the last time I worked in a auto shop I didn't do anything with transmissions. And the last transmission I messed with was a 350 turbomatic. So I've been passed up by the technology of the cars now days.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    And to pile every thing bad happening to me into one thread, Now we can't pay the rent for the house we just signed the lease for because of the time I had to take off to deal with the transmission. So I get to go live with the in-laws. Not a bad thing all together but at this point unless someone wants to send me a charitable donation of about $500 I'm screwed!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm calling BS because nobody I know of rebuilds Nissan transmissions. Almost nobody goes into a Japanese transmission, period.

If you have a leak and the issue is low fluid, a "small" leak would take forever and you'd notice it anyway. If the fluid is low, you typically won't lose just one gear, you'll lose them all, but at first you'll have to rev the engine up to get the car to move.

We have an excellent LKQ supplier at work. It's called LKQ.

For future reference, when they dropped the "small leak" line on you, that was the time for the angry customer face and asking them "wait... so didn't you test-drive and reinspect? What kind of quality control do you guys have?"

I hate crappy shops: they drag my reputation down with theirs.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    M. Sage - I'm calling BS because nobody I know of rebuilds Nissan transmissions. Almost nobody goes into a Japanese transmission, period.
    As for Nissan you will find few if any reman units after market. Same for Toyota - just no demand.
    Now there’s always AAMCO if you have no choice, but be warned. If their rebuilder is not a Nissan trained tech - good luck!

M. Sage - I hate crappy shops: they drag my reputation down with theirs.
    I have to agree. When I owned my own shop I hated to deal with warranty companies. I had suppliers I could trust for LKQ and tried my best to use them.

After 20 some odd years now on the warranty side I have seen a bunch of LKQ suppliers that I would not accept a free ball cap from. Everything they send is shit!!!!!

Today I have a very small group of reman, new and LKQ suppliers. Every one of them is the best of the best.
    Last year I shipped 2,200 domestic auto transmissions, not one come back! I ship 1,200 imports and only had two come back.
    One damaged in freight and the other even though dyno'd after 1,000 mile started leaking from the front pump seal caused by a burr on the converter hub.
    Our suppler shipped them another unit and cover all rental for the 9 days it took.

I just depends on the warranty company and the sources they have.

Warranty companies just like bad techs / shop makes us all look bad.

Shipping used auto transmissions is very,very risky. In the long run / overall big picture from a loss stand point it's cheaper to put an OEM reman in even at end of contract.
    You'll spend a lot less on the trans than 2 or three lawyer letters!

Good luck Big C – sorry for all the BS!!!!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm calling BS because nobody I know of rebuilds Nissan transmissions. Almost nobody goes into a Japanese transmission, period.

If you have a leak and the issue is low fluid, a "small" leak would take forever and you'd notice it anyway. If the fluid is low, you typically won't lose just one gear, you'll lose them all, but at first you'll have to rev the engine up to get the car to move.

We have an excellent LKQ supplier at work. It's called LKQ.

For future reference, when they dropped the "small leak" line on you, that was the time for the angry customer face and asking them "wait... so didn't you test-drive and reinspect? What kind of quality control do you guys have?"

I hate crappy shops: they drag my reputation down with theirs.
    See my problem is that I used to work on cars and 18 wheelers for a living and I know all this crap is ........well........ crap! So I asked him what all he did and I'm sure the response is automated into his "angry customer" response and he knows I know. And all the gears did go out that is why I let his low fluid response fly for now. But I think he is full of BS and I'm going to tell him when I pick my SUV up that I'll see him next week and see what his reaction is. I also want to go face to face with him so I can see the way he reacts to my questions and comments on the tranny. I do deal with peoples BS on a day to day in my line of work. So we'll see how round 2 goes and go from there.
    PS, The time off from the tranny problems is only half of why I'm losing this house (voluntarily, I'm evicting my self for everyone's sake) and the time off for my wife's surgery is the other half of the equation.
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm thinking of pushing for a replaced new tranny if this one keeps F-ing up. I doubt I'll get anywhere but I'll try. This whole thing just puts me in a pissed off mind set.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom