• lazypineapple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Granbury,Texas
    I wear 1 contact len for reading.
    In my weak eye.left
    I shoot rt handed
    Should I shoot both eyes open or close left eye.
    I just got a handgun since going monovision so I've never shot with my contact.
    The way it works I read with my left eye and see distance with my strong eye,
    Your brain shifts from eye to eye as needed.
    That way I don't have to mess with reading class.
    DK Firearms

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you are right eye dominant and shoot often I suggest having your Eye Doctor make your right eye for near vision, and make you focal point out just a bit further than normal.

I did that and it works great.

lazypineapple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Granbury,Texas
    Pretty good
    Two handed is were it gets weird
    I squint the left so the rt takes over
    Then I open both. To zero in
    If I hold gun in rt hand the rt eyes seem to take over.
    I'm going to shoot tonight for first time.
    So we will see:)

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    If you are right eye dominant and shoot often I suggest having your Eye Doctor make your right eye for near vision, and make you focal point out just a bit further than normal.

TXInvestigator,

Any advice on my problem. I am totally right handed but have to shoot lefty because I cannot closed my left eye........without closing right as well. Rifles are no problem.....just learned to either buy left handed guns or make sure safety is amedextrious. But with a hand gun I am not at all comfortable drawing and shooting a pistol with my left hand. When I shoot....I must adjust my stance and arm position so the sights align with my left eye. I tried both eyes open..........get double vision that way.

Thanks,

Okie556

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    TXInvestigator,

Any advice on my problem. I am totally right handed but have to shoot lefty because I cannot closed my left eye........without closing right as well. Rifles are no problem.....just learned to either buy left handed guns or make sure safety is amedextrious. But with a hand gun I am not at all comfortable drawing and shooting a pistol with my left hand. When I shoot....I must adjust my stance and arm position so the sights align with my left eye. I tried both eyes open..........get double vision that way.

Thanks,

Okie556

You need to determine your dominate eye. With both eyes open focus on an object across the room. Your arms should be at your sides. While looking at the object, keep both eyes open and bring your right hand up and point at the object.

Cover your left eye and see if you are on or off target. Now, repeat the exercise, and close your right eye instead.

Your dominate eye is the one you were ON with.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    You need to determine your dominate eye. With both eyes open focus on an object across the room. Your arms should be at your sides. While looking at the object, keep both eyes open and bring your right hand up and point at the object.

Cover your left eye and see if you are on or off target. Now, repeat the exercise, and close your right eye instead.

Your dominate eye is the one you were ON with.

Definitely left eye dominant! Guess it doesn't matter that I can't wink that eye..........it needs to be open!

Thanks for info.

Okie556

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    To lazypinaple: By all means try two eyes, even thought your left doesn't focus well at distiance, it will still give you better depth preception and peripheral vision.

To Okie556. I have the same issue, and I either pull my head around so my left eye sees the sights, or if the sights are hi visiablity, I've learned to use my right eye and it seems to work.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Right-handed, but left eye dominant. I still use my right hand for pistols and rifles.

Shooting pistol, I've never had a problem shooting with both eyes open. Left eye sees the target, right eye sees the image of the sights overlaying the target. Switch it up shooting left-handed.

For rifle, I close the left eye since peripheral vision is less important than with a pistol and maintaining a consistent sight picture is much easier with a stock to index against.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Whatever works for you while you're doing it.

If you can do both eyes open, go for it. If you have a better time closing an eye, do it. Personally, it depends on what I'm shooting and even what kind of shot I want to make. Just go with whatever works.

lazypineapple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Granbury,Texas
    I went shooting last night.
    This is gonna take some practice.
    Seems like either blurry sights or blurry target. Depending which eye I use.
    15',20' feet no problem
    15-20 yards little trickier
    All targets still dead
    I found myself closing left at first ,then concentrating and both eye open.
    Two handed botheyes
    Single handed, which ever hand gun was in was the eye that took over.
    Like I said this is gonna take some practice.
    Now to work on my shooting skills
    Most shots I pull left and low by a few inches
    It's been long time since I fires a handgun
    But boy it was fun. Glad to get time with g27 over with
    Going back this weekend

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Your eyes can only focus on one thing at a time, that's why the target is blurry when you focus on the sights. In pistol shooting with iron sights, focus on the front sight. The rear sight will be slightly blurry as will the target, but that's how it's done. You cannot focus on all three at the same time.

I am left eye dominant but shoot pistols right handed. I leave both eyes open. If you close one eye, you distort the image in the other and it causes fatigue after a time and you start to lose focus in your good eye. For pistol matches, I sometimes use a clip on blank aperature over my right eye, especially if it's really bright out.

Also, even though I have 20/20 vision at distance I need tri-focals for the up close stuff. My shooting glasses have the tri-focal lens in the top half so I can focus clearly on the front sight. The bottom half is the bi-focal lens so I can see clearly to adjust the sights on my target pistols.

For rifle, I use the same glasses for High Power matches since I can focus on the front sight on my AR and M1 and still see the windage/elevation knobs clearly enough to count clicks up and down, etc.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas

I do the same thing ~ it does work great even though your dominent eye is for distances.
    I don't care ~ I would rather be able to see my sights. Monovision works for me.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Some folks shoot both eyes open all the time.

I do shoot both eyes open for point shooting, close one eye for sights, except for a red dot or green dot sight (they even have a blue dot sight now) then I can keep both eyes open, but still close one eye sometimes with a dot sight.

If you want to keep both eyes open a dot sight or an illuminated reticle might help.

It is not that hard to shoot with both eyes open when using a dot sight, because the dot will show up well, and where ever that dot is, that is where you are aimed.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Using monovision to shoot, the principal rule is that the dominant eye (the one using the sights) should have a prescription that focuses the eye at rest on the front sight, and the other eye should be looking at infinity when it is at rest. If these conditions exist, then one should use both eyes when shooting.

flashguy

Top Bottom