• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    You know, some guys have zero issues and swear by them and others have lots of problems.
    a
    930 SPX: would only hold 5 shells instead of 7 in tube. There was a massive lip on the stock Choate extension where either the shells or the spring would hang up. I ground it down but it still wouldn't run right. So I replaced that with a Nordic Extension. The mag feed problem went away but it wouldn't cycle reliably. I had a couple hundred rounds through it too. It would be fine on one range visit and not the next. So I really made sure it was clean and oiled in the right spots and it was still hit or miss.

930 Home Security: I thought I just got a "bad gun", so I bought a 4+1 home security model and built it up. I put a Nordic +2 on it and didn't have any mag problems. This one wouldn't release shells into the chamber, so I polished the shell stop. I found with this one, if I cycled Remington ammo more than a few times the shell rim would actually get deformed by the shell stop and not feed. I made sure my mag spring was a proper length and actually experimented with multiple lengths. I got it to run reliably for awhile by just not cycling ammo through it and avoiding Remington ammo. Then it started choking again. I noticed the piston spring (the heavy one inside the piston) was scraping the heck out of the mag tube, so I trimmed that down and polished the tube. It ran well for awhile, then started choking again. Well I'd never completely taken the piston apart and it was admittedly pretty fouled up. So I cleaned the heck out of that and it still was hit or miss.

There you go, that's my experience with Mossberg 930s. I don't rip on them, but i think their quality control is severely lacking. For a 3 gun shotgun, maybe they are great. All my guns are for defense first and range fun 2nd, so I have to have reliability.

Probably spent 1200/1300 dollars on those two guns with all the different parts, traded/sold them for probably half that. Moral of the story, I should have just bought an FN SLP or Benelli in the first place.

That being said, if you're happy with yours, cool! Glad it works. It is a neat gun, soft recoiling and fun to shoot. I have to say that I am done with Mossberg shotguns though. I can't even bring myself to buy a 500/590.

Cool, thanks for that. I'll need to get a bunch of ammo and really test this one.
    Gun Zone Deals

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    My current thoughts on rounding out my small collection.

- Ruger SR22 or 22/45 (threaded) in lieu of a 10/22
    love my 22/45. It's been a great little 22 over the years
    - Remington 870 with birds head grip in lieu of an FN SLP or Benelli M2
    ive had 4 870s over the years and all have been flawless. My current express is my backup bird gun to my Browning.

- Sig 556R or Arsenal AK in 762x39 in lieu of a 308 such as an FAL, M1A or even Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

My overall trend I'm embracing lately is compact and relatively short range.

ive tended that way actually now that I think about it

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Why do you need a threaded barrel for your 10/22....you live in Wilco. Ain't no way you are getting a can out here, or are you actually going the trust route?

Top Bottom