• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Upfront...im not a collector. Guns are cool but mostly they are important tools/insurance. Im posting this here instead or the subforums for these guns as im mostly just thinking out loud.

Im down to needing a 22 rifle. Im thinking this "has" to be a 10/22. I just dont know which model but the barrel needs to be threaded. Do i need iron sights?

Need 1 shotgun. Im pretty well in between a Benelli M2/4 and the FN SLP. Beretta/Browning dont make HD guns?

Finally, 308 rifle territory. First need to decide bolt vs semi-auto and go from there. Do i need iron sights if i go bolt? Im bailing on the AR platform at the same time it seems to be exploding so instead of AR10 type im thinking FAL or perhaps M1A.
    Lynx Defense

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Let me just say that these are the three for now. Once these bases are covered more bases will become uncovered.

Remember it is a journey and not a destination.

Iron sights are up to you. Nice but not absolutely necessary. Modern optics are tough.

Also, let me say that I love my AR10.

The Benelli M4 is one tough gun but it is also very heavy. Compare it's weight to other HD guns when you are looking.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    These are the 3 to round out my justifiable needs. "wanted" guns will never end certainly but thats way down the road.

10/22 (too many models to choose from but does need threads)
    Benelli M2?
    Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle? Half the price of a nice semi auto

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    The .308 out of a 16"-18" barrel on paper leaves much to be desired. I would opt for full-length M1A or just go 7.62x39, less blast, cheaper mags/ammo, more capacity. It's about value and what you mentioned just seems too damn expensive for what you are getting. 30-06? M1 Garand. Clips and ammo are everywhere. I don't think it is an either/or with bolt or sa, especially when there are so many nice bolt actions lying around untouched for great prices. I don't think you can ever have enough of these classic full-power rifles. I know some who have a limit in mind and expend too much energy comparing and trying to determine which is better.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The .308 out of a 16"-18" barrel on paper leaves much to be desired. I would opt for full-length M1A or just go 7.62x39, less blast, cheaper mags/ammo, more capacity. It's about value and what you mentioned just seems too damn expensive for what you are getting. 30-06? M1 Garand. Clips and ammo are everywhere. I don't think it is an either/or with bolt or sa, especially when there are so many nice bolt actions lying around untouched for great prices. I don't think you can ever have enough of these classic full-power rifles. I know some who have a limit in mind and expend too much energy comparing and trying to determine which is better.

Valid point. Perhaps i could go 762x39 instead of 762x51...now THAT is why i post on TGT.

Stimulating thought!

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    22lr, 223, 308 and 7.62 are going to be the most common rifle calibers if the world ends, your safe isn't complete without at least one of each IMO. A 20" barrel AR-10 is more than capable and is a HUGE step up over x39 ballistics wise. My buddies AAC-SD with my handloads will sling 150gr FMJs at 2700 all day long, a x39 is about 500fps short of that. You can get steel cased 308 to play around with pretty cheap, by no means is it as cheap as x39 though. Personally Id get a x51 in a bolt action and an AK or get into reloading. Its much more fun that I thought it would be and its pretty cool seeing your results show up on paper with much better groups than factory ammo. It allows you to shoot basically premium ammo for half the cost of bulk commercial ammo.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    22lr, 223, 308 and 7.62 are going to be the most common rifle calibers if the world ends, your safe isn't complete without at least one of each IMO. A 20" barrel AR-10 is more than capable and is a HUGE step up over x39 ballistics wise. My buddies AAC-SD with my handloads will sling 150gr FMJs at 2700 all day long, a x39 is about 500fps short of that. You can get steel cased 308 to play around with pretty cheap, by no means is it as cheap as x39 though. Personally Id get a x51 in a bolt action and an AK or get into reloading. Its much more fun that I thought it would be and its pretty cool seeing your results show up on paper with much better groups than factory ammo. It allows you to shoot basically premium ammo for half the cost of bulk commercial ammo.

I suppose the question is, what does 308 do for me that x39 can't do. Distance and more energy. But I don't know if I "need" those things.

It seems like an AK type gun in 7.62x39 and a 308 bolt action would be the "standards".

I'm trying to get unstuck from "the standards" and do more of what works for me.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    How do you know you don't "need" those things? Have you ever gone hog or deer hunting? Speed is nice if you ever have to shoot something running. Its one of the reasons I shoot 223 when hog hunting in open fields. That extra 500+ fps is very nice. The x39 after 200yds turns more into an inverted parabola than an arch as well as being painfully slow. When I shot my cow elk at 365 yards in a dead run I was glad I was shooting a 300WSM and not a 30-30. IMO its better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

The 308 has more speed, wider bullet selection(x39 is actually .310 not .308), more knock down power, better ballistics, more accurate and around here just as available if not more than x39. For mass consumption the AK74 is better than the 47, so it begs the question is this to be used as mass consumption range plinker or do you intend on needing it to put meat on the ground with occasional trips to blast away at the range. As I said earlier you can buy steel cased 308 for pretty darn cheap so its not like it would be crazy expensive to plink. An AK74 is going to be the king of the surplus eating calibers by far but its not going to be that great for much else as there aren't any aftermarket bullets for it. Youre married to milsurp FMJs.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree on "needing" a x39 on the safe but with the prices of AKs now days.....consider an SKS. I didn't like then for a long time till I got one as part of a deal for several guns. I've got a can full of ammo already loaded on stripper clips and have gotten pretty find of that ugly rifle.

You "need" a X51 too. I wouldn't say you are missing out on too much with an 18" barrel on a .308. You can get some relatively light but very accurate bolt actions Or go semi if that's your thing.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX

You're comparing handloads to run of the mill x39 ammo. Hot x39 and standard x51 is another comparison you could try. Premium x39 ammo is the same price if not cheaper than premium hunting loads in .308. Are any AR-10s designed to handle a steady diet of quality .308 rounds? How bout even standard x51? I have not seen hardly any 5.45x39 ammo in the last year, I would not go AK-74.

Top Bottom