• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arod0525

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Wanting to get an air rifle to control the amount of squirrels and varmints on my property. Starting to get into the attic and wires, chewing stuff up. Any recommendations on a good air rifle for this?

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've used a Benjamin 5mm, pump up for that before. It worked fine.
    Look at the Gamo line. They are reasonably priced and are the break-barrel design. I've heard good things about them.
    Of course there are some VERY powerful, but pricey, options out there if you want to go whole-hog!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    295321.jpg

Attachments

• 295321.jpg
      295321.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 689

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    They now make ultra quiet air rifles. I have this one.

Gammo Air RIfle.JPG

Its an air rifle with a built in 'silencer' of sorts. Because it uses air and not a powder charge silencer regulations don't apply. Its sells for between 125-150, includes the 4x scope and is available at amazon, bass pro and walmart. Its only 90DB. IF you want extra quiet you can go with the Maurauder air rifle, only 72 DB but nearly five hundred bucks.

Attachments

• Gammo Air RIfle.JPG
      Gammo Air RIfle.JPG
      36.5 KB · Views: 954
    Last edited:

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I've used a Benjamin 5mm, pump up for that before. It worked fine.
    Look at the Gamo line. They are reasonably priced and are the break-barrel design. I've heard good things about them.
    Of course there are some VERY powerful, but pricey, options out there if you want to go whole-hog!

Funny since my Sheridan (Benjamin) 5mm pump I got around 50 years ago was used on many a squirrel.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Some kind of budget would help with recommending something.

No matter what rifle you decide on, I would not recommend anything that advertises higher than speed of sound performance. Pellets are not designed for supersonic flight and it will throw them off on accuracy. If you do get a "supersonic" capable rifle, then buy the heaviest pellets you can find for it to keep them just under.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Air rifle for squirrels?

Gonna need to be fairly small. And those darn squirrels will probably try to take revenge on the mockingbirds and blue jays.

I'm not sure I would give a squirrel an air gun.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I kill squirrels routinely w a Gamo Shadow Sport, 1-pump, 1000fps, .177. I use Crosman pointed 7.4 grain lead ammo. Wasn't too expensive, but needs an O-ring seal at the chamber.
    It's got a BSA brand 3x9 scope. Air rifle recoil is tough on scope settings.

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Air rifle for squirrels?

Gonna need to be fairly small. And those darn squirrels will probably try to take revenge on the mockingbirds and blue jays.

I'm not sure I would give a squirrel an air gun.
    My kinna post!! Well done!!!

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    I've killed many cotton tail rabbits with one of these . 1st shot to the base of the skull to shred their spine, paralyzing the rear legs. 2nd shot to the head. Mind you it was close range 15 - 20 feet. But the old (low budget) Daisy got the job done.
    7533d98a6e6564ca0d2509be8739ce51.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 7533d98a6e6564ca0d2509be8739ce51.jpg
      7533d98a6e6564ca0d2509be8739ce51.jpg
      9.2 KB · Views: 891

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    I've killed many cotton tail rabbits with one of these . 1st shot to the base of the skull to shred their spine, paralyzing the rear legs. 2nd shot to the head. Mind you it was close range 15 - 20 feet. But the old (low budget) Daisy got the job done. View attachment 222100

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
    I had that same Daisy rifle as a kid. It shot BBs, darts and .177 pellets. You could also load 5 or 6 BBs at a time and shoot it like a little shotgun. Good times

Last edited:

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I kill squirrels routinely w a Gamo Shadow Sport, 1-pump, 1000fps, .177. I use Crosman pointed 7.4 grain lead ammo. Wasn't too expensive, but needs an O-ring seal at the chamber.
    It's got a BSA brand 3x9 scope. Air rifle recoil is tough on scope settings.
    There's quite a few air gun rated scopes, Hawke makes some good ones.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I haven’t shot any squirrels (yet) but I’ve got plenty to shoot at if I get the notion. I have head shots a bunch of turtles with my Gammo Mach 1 (1420 FPS) & another one that’s 1200 FPS with the high velocity pellets. I bought these for when my nephews come down and the wife and I enjoy plinking with them since we can’t legally fire anything else around here. Using a normal led pellet you don’t hear much noise at all. Use one of the high velocity pellets and you get that “snap” from the pellet breaking the sound barrier ( or at least that’s what I think is happening?). Any good varmint pellet seems to be quiet and for the most part effective.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    They now make ultra quiet air rifles. I have this one.

View attachment 222055

Its an air rifle with a built in 'silencer' of sorts. Because it uses air and not a powder charge silencer regulations don't apply. Its sells for between 125-150, includes the 4x scope and is available at amazon, bass pro and walmart. Its only 90DB. IF you want extra quiet you can go with the Maurauder air rifle, only 72 DB but nearly five hundred bucks.
    I have a gamo "silent cat" (similar design) and it's far from ultra quiet. I also have a lever action 22 that I load with subsonic ammo, and it is much quieter than the air rifle.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I haven’t shot any squirrels (yet) but I’ve got plenty to shoot at if I get the notion. I have head shots a bunch of turtles with my Gammo Mach 1 (1420 FPS) & another one that’s 1200 FPS with the high velocity pellets. I bought these for when my nephews come down and the wife and I enjoy plinking with them since we can’t legally fire anything else around here. Using a normal led pellet you don’t hear much noise at all. Use one of the high velocity pellets and you get that “snap” from the pellet breaking the sound barrier ( or at least that’s what I think is happening?). Any good varmint pellet seems to be quiet and for the most part effective.
    That is what's happening. Those pellets are much lighter than lead pellets, so they tend to be less stable, especially as they go transonic. IMO you're best off staying at 800-1000 fps.

Top Bottom