• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Does anyone on here have one of these things, and how much success have you had getting it to work? I bought one about 5 years ago and finally took it to the range. It would feed about 10 rounds OK, but would then jam. Clear the jam, fire 10 or so more, then another jam. Has anybody here actually got one to fire ALL 75 rounds without jamming?

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Does anyone on here have one of these things, and how much success have you had getting it to work? I bought one about 5 years ago and finally took it to the range. It would feed about 10 rounds OK, but would then jam. Clear the jam, fire 10 or so more, then another jam. Has anybody here actually got one to fire ALL 75 rounds without jamming?
    They're not all the same, what is the country of origin of the one you're talking about?

In general, the Korean copies are crap- they used thinner metal, and the welds are weak. Romanian drums and pre-ban Chinese are good and won't jam.

Last edited:

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Just says "Asian" in the poorly written instructions. And is it heavy! I'd hate to have to hump an AK with one! Rifle must weigh 20 lbs fully loaded.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    General consensus is that the pre-ban Chinese are good, the Romanian drums are good, but the Korean drums are problematic... I have seen people demo some that work, but others that don't... and they're not as durable.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    By the way, there have been claims that the Bulgarian and Romanian drums were actually made in China. I see the similarities, but there are subtle differences.

Concerning yours, have you cleaned it? Most come with thinned down cosmoline on them. They will run fine right out of the box, but as soon as they get a little dirt or dust in them, they gum up real bad. Try cleaning it out of the bullet tip grooves and then oil as much as you can.

As for usefulness, I believe they are more intended for RPK-style weapons (e.g. light machine guns) with bipods, not the standard Kalashnikov. While they certainly can be used in the latter, they tend to be too bulky and heavy to work well in them.

Cheers! M2

Last edited:

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I forgot about the Bulgarian ones... didn't they also make AK-74 drums?
    There were some busts of drums being imported as Bulgarian or Romanian, but determined by the ATF to be of Chinese origin (which are banned from import)

I'll second that they were intended for RPKs... but I used to have pictures on Photobucket of my Draco Pistol clone I built with a 75rd drum... looked awesome in a ridiculous kind of way.

Kinda like this: (but this is not my photo)
    %2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F6a%2F6a%2F6c%2F6a6a6cb5b6b604c035a0cb73f6a9960e.jpg

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I'll give it a good cleaning and then try it again. I said I bought it 5 years ago, but may have been longer. I got it at the old Saxet gun show. This was when they were at the Travis County Expo building.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have one I've never used. Gonna check to see its origin after the history lesson today.

Over it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    Commie bloc drums are some of the most reliable drums feeding systems ever made. Never had an issue with commie block 75rd drum.

How many times are you winding it? It sounds like you aren't winding the spring enough.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Well the 2 I have work great in my AK and I know that they are not the Chinese ones.
    I bought mine from Classic Arms about 4 years ago on sale.
    I think one is Romanian and one is Bulgarian as the spot welds are a little different.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom