• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Well I think my next hobbie is to build an AK. I Am wondering if anyone here has done it. How much of it did you do? Stamped, milled or 80? Which parts kit? What would you have done different? Hardest part? Best place to get parts/kits/receivers?

i know this Forum pretty well, and it not being an AR, I'm in for it, but, I have enough ARs and well, if I mess up an AK, it's an AK, and I don't think you can really mess them up, suposed to have character.

Thanks for for any help or comments or points in any direction right or wrong.

I will ill be sure to post updates as my hobbie blossoms.
    Venture Surplus ad

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Classicfirearms.com centerfiresystems.com Carolinashootersupply.com akparts.com brownells.com midwayusa.com

The first two sites offer parts kits and recievers. The other sites have lots of AK parts also. There are much more informed people than I around here to help with other questions. Those sites listed are a good place to start though.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    ...................... if I mess up an AK, it's an AK, and I don't think you can really mess them up, suposed to have character. ........................

I think you might need to investigate that a bit more. Even the pros at some of the more popular importers have had problems, its a lot easier to build an AK that is junk than I think you realize. Attention to detail is paramount in getting one that shoots straight. You might look into some of the videos out there from well known AK guys about what to look for when buying an AK, that should give you some ideas about areas you need to concentrate on when building one. I would suggest some of the Rifle Dynamics videos on that and the build process. It is not like an AR assembly. Number of members here have experience in building them.

MitchKov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    I've built "a few" AK's over the past several years. Most will tell you to start fixed stock on a 100% receiver. If you have a spot welder and the ability to heat treat than you could go off a blank, but the 100% will make everything easier. Nodak Spud has been a big name for a while, there are McKay receivers that have been around for a decent price lately, and a great somewhat new guy (a couple years now) is Childersguns.com He uses polish blanks and gives you all sorts of options on how you'd like it to look/how much work you'd like to do on it yourslef.

What is your tool kit like? Do you own a press? Do you own a spot welder? A decent drill press or mill?

Just asking so I can steer you in the right direction. These things are getting banged together in mud huts in pakistan/afghanistan, however good equipment makes everything easier.

At a minimum, you're gonna need to buy headspace gauges (check brownells) to do it safely. Then there are a bunch of various jigs, rivet tools and even a way to install the barrel without a press.

You're a few years off on the barreled kits. While they are still out there, they are more expensive. check arms of america for kits. They usually have some good options and offer barrels. I like Green Mountain rifle barrels however there are other cheaper options out there as well.

I'll leave it there for now, but could talk this stuff all day. I'll also agree with the post above, akfiles.com is a wealth of information on this subject and has a whole sub forum dedicated to gunsmithing/ak building.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Great start to my project.

As far as my tools go, I don't have a hydrolic press but looking at them. I have the rest of the stuff I need I think in my shop.

00-Guy

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    San Antonio
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Great start to my project.

As far as my tools go, I don't have a hydrolic press but looking at them. I have the rest of the stuff I need I think in my shop.

That will be the bulk of your costs, the tooling. The press, the various jigs, and if you plan to finish the receiver, paint or similar coating. The kit and the receiver (unless you are going 100%) are a small part of the overall cost. And makes it more expensive if you are only building a single rifle.

If you are building to learn about AKs, buy a cheap (relatively) AK and field strip it. Replace some parts like the shepard's hook and maybe the trigger. Polish the various parts for smooth operation. There are all kinds of things that can teach you the internals of an AK without building.

Good luck.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    If you are near Houston, go talk to the guys at Tac-47 in Spring. They certainly know their business when it comes to AK-pattern rifles.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    If you ever make it out to the Sonora area, let me know. I'm gathering up parts, supplies and knowledge to do my first build on an 80% pre-bent blank. I'd gladly pass on any info, help or equipment use to you. I've got a press that I'm getting back to working order (got it for free minus the jack), and I'm going to try to build most of my own jigs to keep $ low due to parts costing much more lately.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    If you decide to go Hungarian underfolder, sarco had them for $224 yesterday when I checked. So far I've got one of those and a polish fixed stock kit from arms of America. Atlantic arms had the best deal on barrels, $89 I think it was. Arms of America had the best deal on 80% pre bent receivers.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    For your first build you might want to forgo the whole "bend your own flat, weld and heat-treat it" experience; you'll have enough on your plate as it is.

Choose a kit, buy a barrel and order a Nodak Spud receiver.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Best to try and find a build party and leverage off the experience of others. And stay away from the I.O. Inc receivers. They aren't very straight. As others have said, for a one off, your largest expense will be tooling. A build party helps a LOT with that. But getting advice during your build will help a lot as well.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    If you decide to go Hungarian underfolder, sarco had them for $224 yesterday when I checked. So far I've got one of those and a polish fixed stock kit from arms of America. Atlantic arms had the best deal on barrels, $89 I think it was. Arms of America had the best deal on 80% pre bent receivers.

Thanks for the input, AOA seems to have the best kits right now I have found.

Maybe be we do need a build party.

rdb241

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Anyone able to full heat treat?

You only need to heat treat the rails and the hammer and trigger holes. You do not need to heat treat the entire receiver. I have built a couple of dozen AK's through past few years. They have all been flats that I have bend myself and all have been Romy "G" kits. My very first kit cost me $130.00. The first one I built was with a Polish underfolder stock. Once you learn the process, building one is actually quite easy. Tooling is the main cost of any build. If you have all the correct tooling. Things just fall together. My Dad told me when I was a kid that there is a tool for every job and the job is easier with the correct tool. You might want to check out AK-builder.com. Curtis has ALL the tooling you will ever need and he sells kits, US barrels. A ton of stuff. I have done business with Curtis for years. Good guy! I would be happy to answer any questions anybody might have on building AK's. Here is some pics of what I have built.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    this-thread-delivers.jpg

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    You only need to heat treat the rails and the hammer and trigger holes. You do not need to heat treat the entire receiver. I have built a couple of dozen AK's through past few years. They have all been flats that I have bend myself and all have been Romy "G" kits. My very first kit cost me $130.00. The first one I built was with a Polish underfolder stock. Once you learn the process, building one is actually quite easy. Tooling is the main cost of any build. If you have all the correct tooling. Things just fall together. My Dad told me when I was a kid that there is a tool for every job and the job is easier with the correct tool. You might want to check out AK-builder.com. Curtis has ALL the tooling you will ever need and he sells kits, US barrels. A ton of stuff. I have done business with Curtis for years. Good guy! I would be happy to answer any questions anybody might have on building AK's. Here is some pics of what I have built.

Fist off, wow, you have some nice stuff. Second can you message me what all I would need to build the Dragonov/SVD, I know how expensive real ones are, so making a one off would be cool.

Different forums say different things when it comes to heat treating, lots say only holes and others say better to do the whole thing. I'm good with doing the spots, just wondering if anyone local did heat treating, some say it is better.

What did you have to, if anything, mod to get the supressor and AK to cycle?

i am all set with tools, jigs, torches, mills, drills, presses, welders, paint guns and compressor. I got all my stuff ready, just getting my ducks in order.

Wish you were closer, I have a fridge stocked with cold beer or soda in my shop............
    Where in NW are you at? (WAZZU Alum)

Top Bottom