• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Do any of the AK fanboys (I am hoping other members beside the Houston folks see this) know of a reputable AK gunsmith in the Greater Houston area?

My brother is a sales rep for a company that has Russian Saiga's as one of their product lines. He has a few samples that he wants to have some things done. A 7.62x39 that he doesn't like the furniture on, and a Saiga-12 that needs a pistol grip.

He found a place called tac-47 in Spring, but neither of us are familiar with them. Anyone here have experience they can share?

Or are these rifles, as I have read, so basic a monkey could do the work himself?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may provide.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've had a good experience with TAC-47. The guys out front are pretty normal sales types. However, they've got a gunsmith that really knows what he's doing. This is so much the case that they try to keep him in the back, working, and the front counter guys do everything they can to insulate him from interruptions. I happened to walk in with a very rare AK, so they went back and got him to have a look. The flash hider was jammed on all cattywampus. I also wanted headspace checked before I fired it. (I own a 7.62x39 with horrifically excess headspace from a manufacturer who is no longer in business. It's basically a throwline anchor at this point so I'm wary about headspacing issues when I acquire something new.) He listened to my unfounded concerns and still did the work I requested at what I considered a fair price.

I know one AK enthusiast who raves about the guy. I've also read a bad review of the store. And I've seen someone opine that their gunsmithing prices are too high. Like everything else in life, then, YMMV.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I note that TAC-47 is only open Tues/Wed/Thur these days, which strikes me as odd. Anything changed there? Are they still the go-to place on the north side of Houston for AK gunsmithing?

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I note that TAC-47 is only open Tues/Wed/Thur these days, which strikes me as odd. Anything changed there? Are they still the go-to place on the north side of Houston for AK gunsmithing?

They are only closed Mondays, but if they are at a gun show (they go to just about every show in metro Houston), they tend to close Fri-Mon, sometimes the Thursday before as well. They are only 2 guys at this point, the sales guy up front and the gunsmith in back. They are generally open from 11-6, though it varies from time to time.

::edit::
    Their gunsmith is also quite the Marlin fan as well; he has an impressive collection of both Marlins and AKs.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    This is my favorite thread I've read in a while. HUGE THANKS FOR THE INFO.

There are 2 gunsmiths I know of that I would trust with an AK in my area. 1 is in Beeville and another at Modern Pawn in Corpus Christi.

I like saigas. Doing a conversion doesn't take many tools. You'll get to pick furniture, a grip and a trigger. Have fun with it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They are only closed Mondays...
    I'll verify tomorrow but I could swear the (apparently permanent) sign in the front window said they were only open three days per week.

Thanks for the info.

MoB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Been in TAC-47 a few time and have always had a good experience. There work looks good to me.:usflag:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    BTW - I went in, dropped off the work, and they'll call me with an estimate next week.

Bought a rifle while I was in there. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Keep us updated, Ben. I have some Saiga work I would like to get done, but I have stayed away from there due to the horror stories I've heard about people not getting their guns back for a LONG time.

Top Bottom