• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Wondering if anyone here in the El Paso area was experienced with AK's. I recently acquired my first, and it seems to have a slightly canted front sight post. Anyone know how to fix that and willing to help me out?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Texas SOT

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I am not in El Paso, but a canted front sight post can be corrected by heating it with a torch, and bending with needle nosed pliers until it is perpendicular to the bore of the AK.

The other option is to buy a new sight post.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    the post is not bent....it is just not installed perpendicular to the bore. I want to knock out the two pins and true it up and re-pin it.....but, I'm skeered. Don't mind doing the work, just want some experienced guidance.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Yup....already been there....I have watched numerous videos on the subject with what seems to me like three different methods for achieving a straighter post.

Just wanted a little guidance if it was available. Not a rich man, and not wanting to mess up something I spent alot of money on(alot for me) and then having to pay someone to right my wrong...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Is it a Century build? If so, contact them to send it back, they'll repair it for free. It requires drilling out the two pins, correcting the sight, then slotting for new pins and installing them.

Cheers! M2

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Is it a Century build? If so, contact them to send it back, they'll repair it for free. It requires drilling out the two pins, correcting the sight, then slotting for new pins and installing them.

Cheers! M2

It is! Did not know this...I will contact them tomorrow...
    Thanks

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Now why would Century even release a firearm with a cock-eyed front sight.

Send it back?

In what kind of condition will they return it, if they could not get it right in the first place?

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    They will only repair it if it left the factory within the last 12 months.

I'm the second owner....guy got it from Bud's. I will have to look at the box in the morning. Said he bought it 4 months ago. Never know how long it sat in a warehouse.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Now why would Century even release a firearm with a cock-eyed front sight.

Send it back?

In what kind of condition will they return it, if they could not get it right in the first place?

So by that logic if you buy a car, you should never take it in for warranty work. If people build them, there will be the occasional mistake.

Quit being so dang crotchety.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So by that logic if you buy a car, you should never take it in for warranty work. If people build them, there will be the occasional mistake.

Quit being so dang crotchety.

Exactly, they repaired mine and got it back to me within a week. Didn't cost me a dime and they did a good job. Shit happens, but give them credit for at least fixing it.

If it is beyond their warranty period, any competent gunsmith should be able to do the work; but it will be on your dime.

Cheers! M2

daniel17319

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Texas
    I didint read threw the entire post but I live in el paso and can help and i have alot of tooling and getting more soon in. My phone number is 915 996 3875. I can help you do other modifcations to your ak to help a brother out. We can also do a wicked good trigger job. I have built a few aks and am getting geared up for few more builds. Just let me know.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I didint read threw the entire post but I live in el paso and can help and i have alot of tooling and getting more soon in. My phone number is 915 996 3875. I can help you do other modifcations to your ak to help a brother out. We can also do a wicked good trigger job. I have built a few aks and am getting geared up for few more builds. Just let me know.

Dude! What would you charge me, and what part of town you in?

Top Bottom