• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    I own 2 AKs, one is a WASR-10 and the other is a Saiga. I was putting some mag clamps on some 30 rounders Saturday and stuck them into the Saiga AK to check the spacing between the mags. These mags (4) have only spent time in my WASR, and have never met the Saiga. The regular mags that I've used in the Saiga when shooting is the polymer waffle mag that came with it and the 20 rounders (tanker style). When I put the 30 rounders (yugo surplus) into the Saiga, the forward "hook" will engage properly but the rearward piece that holds the mag in place will not allow the mag release to return to it's normal position and hold the mag. The piece on the mag is too thick for the Saiga's mag catch, but it fits the WASR. What's the best option? Would filing the mag catch on the Saiga make it's mags loose? Would filing the mags themselves make them loose in the WASR? Should I mark them as WASR mags and get some mags just for the Saiga?

Yeah I know that every mag should be introduced to every gun, but these 4 have been kept close to the WASR since I got them.
    Texas SOT

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was into AK's for a long time and had this problem many times. I found that mixing and matching magazines worked much better than modifying the rifle or the mag. I had one AK that allowed the magazines to wobble around so much that it was shocking. On the other end, I had another rifle where the mags were so tight, I could hardly get them installed. Once in, I couldn't get them out!

We all think a rifle should accept any mag and all mags should fit like all other mags. In reality, that's not how it is. The answer for me was to sort through a lot of mags and earmark mags for each rifle. After the AWB bill evaporated, I had an opportunity to buy AK mags at $6 and less so I bought a pile of them. By sorting through the mags, I got them to fit properly just by experimenting with them then labeling each for a specific rifle.

That's what worked for me and I didn't need to modify rifles or mags.

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Stock Saigas wont accept regular AK mags. The gun needs to be modified. Its an achilles heel of the Saigas... Proprietary mags that are very expensive.

You can insert a standard AK mag into a Saiga, but the difference is that the Saiga doesn't have the bullet ramp block built in, it's part of the magazine.

Other than that, AK mags should insert.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    Like texascop2 said, many times the top of the Saiga mag catch is too long to allow a standard AK mag to lock into place. The best bet for a Saiga rifle is to properly convert it to use standard AK mags by filing the top of the rifle's mag catch until an AK mag locks into place. Then you usually have to install a bullet guide because, like M.Sage said, you'll get fails to feed if you don't. Finally, throw away the factory Saiga mag because it won't work anymore and is diminished capacity anyways. If your 20-round tanker mags fit the unmodified saiga, I don't know what to say other than the mags are out of spec and the rear locking lug is too small. Does the Saiga mag latch completely engage or just sorta hang on the lip? That's not good. Do those mags rattle in the WASR? That's not good, either.
    As plentiful as AK mags are, it makes no sense to modify the Saiga to only use "special magazines". IMO, it makes more sense to make the rifle fit the zillions of AK mags that are out there. Lose your special magazines and your rifle is a single shot.
    If it was my rifle, I would do a proper Saiga conversion starting with the mag latch and bullet guide then move the trigger group and install a pistol grip and AK buttstock. You'll be happier in the end. I can help you or it's not a difficult task to accomplish yourself.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The point I tried to make in my post is that there is a lot of variation in that type of fabricated magazine. Don't start sawing on the rifles because the mags that you have don't fit well. Try some other mags....Saiga or otherwise before you grind up the gun.

Flash

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Understood, but people who work on AKs and Saigas can do a proper conversion so you dont have to play mix and match....all AK mags will work. I think Alex at Dreadnaught Industries does these conversions.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Understood, but people who work on AKs and Saigas can do a proper conversion so you dont have to play mix and match....all AK mags will work. I think Alex at Dreadnaught Industries does these conversions.

Most will work. There can be a lot of variation in AK mags.

TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    Thanks for the information. After it warms up some, I'll get all my AK stuff together and see what fits what, and mark it. The Tanker mags are stamped so the rear locking lug isn't as large as the 30 round surplus mags.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Draco-C I bought last month had a bad habit of not letting mags go. I ended up filing it down a bit but there are still a few mags that fit tighter than others. I ended up buying a Bulgarian 75-round drum which seems to work in everything.

But don't throw any AK magazines away! If you have any you don't want, send them my way!

Cheers! M2

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom