• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Ive been fitting the Kvar stock into my AK I had to remove a large amount of material near the front screw hole to get it to sit even close to flush, and now theres not enough material to drill.

Recon just having the rear screw is enough, or do I need to find a longer screwand make it work for the front?

Also I screwed up and made the botton of the tang slot too wide on one side. Any idea on how to add material? its just for looks, but I don't want it to look like a complete hack job. I didn't have a small dremel drum, and the wide was the right size, but it wandered to the side a bit on me.
    Guns International

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    You don't want to hear this --- stick with the original stock. No aftermarket stock should ever take that much effort unless the seller told you up front it would have to be "tinkered with."

Good luck on your project.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Even original stocks take some "fine tuning" to fit on different rifles. AKs are intentionally built to some rather loose tolerances, and I would suggest investing in a rubber mallet and a Dremel tool if you don't have either as you'll find them to be very handy. When I put the Bulgarian stock set on my Centurion, I had to do quite a bit of sanding and shaving on it to get it to fit...

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I have a 1.6mm receiver NO stocks that are easily available fit.

Yeah I got it to work, but it looks like shit. I have a dremel and mallet...Im regretting the dremel I accidently hit the speed adj and it walked to the side so I have a random gap next to the tang. Im not proud of it by any means but its on..lol

I even got both screws in, but I doubt the front screw will last long.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Even original stocks take some "fine tuning" to fit on different rifles. AKs are intentionally built to some rather loose tolerances, and I would suggest investing in a rubber mallet and a Dremel tool if you don't have either as you'll find them to be very handy. When I put the Bulgarian stock set on my Centurion, I had to do quite a bit of sanding and shaving on it to get it to fit...

Max. I will say this real slow. Anytime you swap stocks, they are no longer original.

An original stock is the one that was first fitted to the action.

Be well.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Its worse than it looks lol
    jk.jpg
    ak.jpg

Last edited:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Max. I will say this real slow. Anytime you swap stocks, they are no longer original.

Be well.

Mine didn't have a stock fitted to it that's why I changed the stock it has a pistol type trunnion with some POS choate BS stock that wrapped around the receiver

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land

Yep. Had to use a mallot and dremel to put the stock on my builds. Also had a hell of a time taking the wood stock off a WASR once.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!

Be well.

Shortround, I will speak slowly so you'll understand as well....

It is extremely doubtful that most AKs in this country are all original. Most are built from parts kits and chances are really good that the receiver is not the one originally on the rifle. Any AK gunsmith will tell ya that some times the furniture require modifications to fit properly...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    By the way, Mike, is this the one from the AK Files (or was it the AKForum, I forgot)??

When I replaced the thumbhole stock on my SLR with a polymer one it was a tight fit as well, hence the mallet requirement. Yet the Bulgarian wooden furniture I also bought, which was made for that rifle, was too loose. Go figure...

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Yeah its the one I bought. I wanted it tight, but didn't want to have to cut half the front off to make it fit

I had a mallet to install it that wasn't the issue, it was the fact no matter how much I cut off it still wont sit flush

Top Bottom