• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    Seeing as this is a forum for Texans, I figured we needed a thread like this. What is your favorite Texas region? Panhandle, Piney Woods, the Valley, etc?

Being from the panhandle, I am kinda partial to it. Didn't realize how much I liked the wide open spaces till I moved to Nacogdoches. After 5 years I'm starting to get a little claustrophobic. I also like the hill country. Its beautiful country.
    Hurley's Gold

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Tough question, it's all good!

I love west Texas, the wide-open spaces, beautiful sunsets, watching the thunderheads build from a couple of counties away, the drier climate. Real mountains if you go far enough west. Riding a motorcycle on a two-lane road before sunup, with the full moon over your shoulder.

The southwestern hill country - Edwards, Kinney, and Real Counties. The West Nueces River. Rugged, remote, and less travelled than the more traditional hill country.

The Brazos "Mountains" of Palo Pinto County - difficult to believe there is somewhere that steep, hilly, and pretty in north Texas until you have seen it.

I've only lived here for 27 years but I've been to almost every county in that time. Never seen one that I didn't like but these are my favorites.

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    If God granted me the hill country I would almost thin I was in heaven. The Piny Woods is still a good place to live.
    Carneyman,
    Wher do you shoot??? I am jsut across the river in Lufkin.

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    If God granted me the hill country I would almost thin I was in heaven. The Piny Woods is still a good place to live.
    Carneyman,
    Wher do you shoot??? I am jsut across the river in Lufkin.

Last time was in Tyler. Before that was back on my parents farm. Don't get to nearly enough.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I personally enjoy the area out around Kerrville. There are some nice twisty roads out there. Unfortunately I no longer have my 911 Turbo, however I do have plenty of memories of some "spirited" drives out in that direction. :D

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    As others posted, I like it ALL! I think it is great to have such a geographically diverse state:
    - high plains of the panhandle
    - rolling prairie of north central area
    - East Texas with hardwoods, pine trees, and rolling hills
    - beautiful Hill Country with limestone and clear creeks
    - longgg Gulf Coast with Padre Island and the ship channel
    - Upper and Lower Valley in South Texas with tall palm trees
    - Big Bend, Southwest, and West Texas, tough land for tough people.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I like Rangers Ballpark.:D:D

Man, that field is beautiful. I remember seeing it during the construction phase. I want to watch a game there some day. I've been to the former Enron field in Houston which is awesome.

We got a good Astro's franchise here in Austin, the Round Rock Express, that was started by Nolan Ryan and his son Reid. The field is really nice, and the games are a blast to watch. You don't get that big park feel, but it's much more personable which makes it more of a refreshing experience. My friend had his wedding reception there during a UT game, and we've both played on the field.

Here's a picture of the field, I'm batting in the picture.

bb.jpg

Cobra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    CANADA
    We got a good Astro's franchise here in Austin, the Round Rock Express, that was started by Nolan Ryan and his son Reid. The field is really nice, and the games are a blast to watch. You don't get that big park feel, but it's much more personable which makes it more of a refreshing experience. My friend had his wedding reception there during a UT game, and we've both played on the field.

Nolan Ryan is God in my books. Nice looking field in the pic.:)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Nolan Ryan is God in my books. Nice looking field in the pic.:)

What you can't really appreciate until you get on the field is the quality of the surface. The dirt is compacted so it's nice and firm, the cleats really work in the firm surface. Most cheap fields use a sandy / chocolate loam dirt that is really loose and never is compacted until it rains. Our baseball field in high school was one of the better fields in Austin. We learned alot about field maintenance and we even used chemically treated dirt that would absorb like 3 times the water, and dry out twice as fast.

The grass is a special type and is mowed really short, but grown dense. It's basically natural astro-turf if you've ever played on it.

Astro-turf is the devil's invention. I've played at Disch-Faulk field a number of times (UT's field) and the astro-turf will certainly make you stay awake at 3rd base. The ball never slows down, it goes at Mach 18 until you knock it down, and diving on astro-turf is a really bad decision.

stockFD3S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    I personally enjoy the area out around Kerrville. There are some nice twisty roads out there. Unfortunately I no longer have my 911 Turbo, however I do have plenty of memories of some "spirited" drives out in that direction. :D

I love those roads. We had a set of 350Z brake pads catch fire on 337. That explained the sudden brake fade. :eek:

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    We were in the Hill Country this past weekend for the Texas State HOG rally. We rode all over the place, even down to San Antonio. It has been one of our favorite places to ride.

I also have to say that the Piney Woods area is not give the proper recognition for its beauty.

Top Bottom