Gatesville, TX
    Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 8.32.50 AM.png
    DK Firearms

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    From a 10" (probably un-vented) test barrel, I would have expected higher velocities. Things like this sometimes make me wonder about Alliant's technical facilities. Interesting that they published no data for 2400 with a 158gr. LSWC, almost the classic load for .357 Magnum. I suspect it would have exceeded 1300 f/s from the muzzle, perhaps even 1350.

Their unwillingness to publish .45 Colt loading data for Rugers & T/Cs only is also inconvenient.
    It can be had from other sources, but I like to learn such things from the makers of the propellant.

Still in all, I STARTED loading in the dark (okay, DISCO) age with their powders, and to this day, really prefer them for almost any pistol application. Alliant Unique would enable me to load everything I own (in a pistol) at 85 to 100% ballistic potential, without having to keep track of another powder. The various Accurate/Ramshot powders are making SOME inroads on me, though. I also like IMR/H/whatever 4227 over 2400, for some loads.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I almost bought some 2400 a few days ago. I wanted to resupply my magnum handgun powder and couldn't remember what powder I had been using.

They had IMR4227 and 2400 (as well as others) and I knew I had used both in the past.

I grabbed a Lee book and it showed (in .357 loads) that 4227 had a good edge on velocity over 2400, like 100+ fps. I put the 2400 away and got 4227.

Looking in my Lyman book it seems 2400 is getting a little faster results.

Strange that the books are so different especially since the Lee book is mainly just compiled data from other sources.

Nice thing is I get home and already have IMR4227. And yes, I use H4227 and IMR4227 data interchangeably. If memory serves H4227 is not available any more anyways.

Just thought those data numbers were strange.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I'm wondering if the OP has noticed he's got loads for .327 Federal Mag and .357 Mag listed?
    I'm guessing that he DID know, because he posted each in separate posts. Not being combative, just saying I think that's what he had in mind.

I think 2400 is the most versatile and forgiving of the propellants commonly used in magnum pistol powders. If I was starting out to load a magnum pistol, like .357, .41, .44, or T/C/Ruger-Only .45 Colt, I'D want Alliant 2400 to learn on. It won't give velocities QUITE as impressive as H110 or IMR-4227, but it can be started at 10% under max (unlike H110), and seems to be less prone to pressure-spiking than 4227. In many cases, I will get better velocity with 4227, but my accuracy is much better with 2400.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Alliant doesn't make powder and I wonder if they even have a ballistic lab of their own anymore. Much of their data are duplicates of what you can find in Speer manuals and some of it from other manuals as well. Which makes sense if they are in the ATK family, no reason to not leverage Speer's resources from production.

This is only an observation but compared to Hodgdon, who also doesn't manufacture powder, their data is downright pathetic. Ron over at Hodgdon is a fountain of info and they take a lot of pride in their lab results it seems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom